Truth about Water

F&B, Groceries and everything in between!

Re: Truth about Water

Postby cakeintime » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:59 pm

Great discussion here on drinking water. I agree, dont drink the water. but what about showering in the water here. Is Showering in SH Water or any sub standard water really bad for people? My point being -we dont ingest it, do we? Does our skin absorb water like we drink it? So, heavy metals would also enter the body from showering in shanghai water? Any ideas?
cakeintime

Postby cakeintime » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:10 pm

And one other thing, you would think that any water inputs, like that of irrigation for farming fruits and vegetables would all be water from...a river?? am i right. and i am assuming that all our vegetables including those claimed to be ORGANIC -would infact contain heavy metals, right? can someone comment on this?
cakeintime

Postby cleanwater » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:30 pm

Today I found a shock old news from Shanghai TV ,there are red worm in tap water .I don't know,if it's 'water' or posion now .Through we sell water purifier ,we have no idea how bad the shanghai tap water is.

Just now I saw one expat said that the water via XX brand purifier treats could reach 0 PPM.I was shock
again ..just like I watched the red worm news!

Here is too many liers .Lol... :mrgreen:
Keep drinking water safe www.h2o-depot.net
cleanwater
Talker
Talker

Postby cleanwater » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:42 pm

sasi2010 wrote:How can we find clean watter ?
if any one know about it?

hm ?hm ?you looked for me ?i am clean water :mrgreen:
cleanwater
Talker
Talker

Postby ea » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:30 am

Does anyone feel that water in Shanghai is a bit strange nowadays, when i wash my hairs, they don`t get clean and stay grassy dirty even worse... at the beginning i thought its because of shampoo but i try 3 different brands .. result is the same
ea
Squeeker
Squeeker

Postby cleanwater » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:42 pm

ea wrote:Does anyone feel that water in Shanghai is a bit strange nowadays, when i wash my hairs, they don`t get clean and stay grassy dirty even worse... at the beginning i thought its because of shampoo but i try 3 different brands .. result is the same

That's because the water tube made from iron is so old in Shanghai ,at least 40 years old already 。
There are 2 choice for soluation
1.wait for gov replace the water tube
2.buy one water filter,simple one is okay,100-200yuan in market price for 2 stage undersink filter.
cleanwater
Talker
Talker

Postby Mr. Furious » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:35 am

Good info on the water here. I don't know if I was better off knowing or not though!
Mr. Furious
Reacher
Reacher

Postby shimon » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:21 pm

Has anyone tested Nongfu water? If not please test!
shimon
Barker
Barker

Postby Englishwang » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:40 am

Tested Nongfu water before( big jug and also small bottles). The TDS was around 40 I remember. Like many other branded bottles of water, Nongfu is quite good and reliable.
Englishwang
Seeker
Seeker

Postby Garsin » Tue May 10, 2011 2:49 pm

Hello fancysmith.Thanks for the wonderful post with the full knowledge of water.Water is a natural thing and it is essential for our life.We can live without eating but we can't spent a single day without it.Water is good for reducing weight and also good for fat burning.It prevents from many skin problems and lungs problems.
Garsin
Garsin

Postby HKers » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:53 pm

i came recently and bought a haier water purified system... is it good enough?
HKers
Squeeker
Squeeker

Postby bleepingbleeper » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:39 pm

^ from experience, i would never trust a haier product for good design or durability.
bleepingbleeper
Veejay
Veejay

Postby HKers » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:33 pm

true, it looked good when i bought it 2 months ago... now, i'm looking something else...
HKers
Squeeker
Squeeker

Postby kallia » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:22 pm

anter wrote:If some countries are using recycled water, extracted from efluent, surely this technology can be applied to the drinking water of China.

:shock: Don't go there!
Who watches the watchers?
kallia
Raver
Raver

Mood: Cool

Postby yamalin » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:56 am

Thanks buddy for sharing this one info about the water and much better one and truthful posting about water you have share here with all of us... Thanks allot and keep sharing more one's with all of us at the forum....
Yamalin
yamalin

Postby moonfirespammer » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:21 pm

Yikes, anyone knows where can I get a water purity tester in Shanghai?

I've been drinking water from my landlord's alkaline water purification system direct. It has an auto rinse system every couple of litres, not sure how safe it is though.
moonfirespammer
Squeeker
Squeeker

Postby Englishwang » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:32 pm

moonfirespammer wrote:Yikes, anyone knows where can I get a water purity tester in Shanghai?

I've been drinking water from my landlord's alkaline water purification system direct. It has an auto rinse system every couple of litres, not sure how safe it is though.

Hi moonfirespamme, the water purity tester you need might be the TDS meter which is to test total dissolved solids. The purer the water is, the less the reading will be. It's a common and basic tool to test water clean or not and can be easily found in a lot of water filters companies or related online stores. You can buy online and have it delivered to you. Or just ask for a company to help you get one. No surcharge will be taken, genrerally.(We can help with that if you need.)

The tap water is much cleaner than before, according to my experiences. 2 years ago, the reading of the water tested by the TDS meter would be over 500 for most of the places in Shanghai. And last year, the reading was about 400 for the expo while the water source quality and treatment infrastucture were impoved. Now, as reported, the water source is mainly from Qingcaosha lake and its reading is a bit above 200. Indeed a big difference.
Englishwang
Seeker
Seeker

Postby Bayside » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:37 pm

Ever noticed how bad some local people's teeths are? I spoke with my US dentist during a recent visit and he was telling me that in most 3rd world countries where people only drink bottled water their the health of their teeth is bad because of the lack of flouride in the water.
Bayside

Postby jakbkk » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:18 pm

that's why you need toothpaste when brushing your teeth!
jakbkk
Reacher
Reacher

Postby moonfirespammer » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:23 pm

I tested both my water from the tap and a "alkaline water filter" my landlord left us.

TDS was 150 for both.

Is this safe enough to drink without boiling?
moonfirespammer
Squeeker
Squeeker

Postby Ogram » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:07 pm

!!Mayday, mayday!!
I have a question. I know tap water in Shanghai usually has a certain 'smell'. Some call it muddy, and some say it's from exessive use of chlorine or something. But the water in our apartment (pudong, Jinqiao) smells like gasoline, or white spirit. We have had the waterfilter replaced, but it doesn't change a thing. The smell is the same for hot and cold water, and it smells worst in the morning.
Can you imagine taking a shower or washing your face in a haze of gasoline?

Does anyone know what it can be, and how it could be fixed? Right now I have send 2 samples (one to a company chosen by the landlord, and one to a company which I chose myself) to have the water thoroughly tested. Next week I'll get the results. I don't know if it is 'just smell' or if it is actually really unhealthy to take a 'gasoline shower'. Some say it's the pipes in the apartment. But what can they do about the pipes... change them all??

Would be gratefull for any usefull comment/advice!
O.
Ogram

Postby hammerforlife » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:18 pm

Ogram wrote:!!Mayday, mayday!!
I have a question. I know tap water in Shanghai usually has a certain 'smell'. Some call it muddy, and some say it's from exessive use of chlorine or something. But the water in our apartment (pudong, Jinqiao) smells like gasoline, or white spirit. We have had the waterfilter replaced, but it doesn't change a thing. The smell is the same for hot and cold water, and it smells worst in the morning.
Can you imagine taking a shower or washing your face in a haze of gasoline?

Does anyone know what it can be, and how it could be fixed? Right now I have send 2 samples (one to a company chosen by the landlord, and one to a company which I chose myself) to have the water thoroughly tested. Next week I'll get the results. I don't know if it is 'just smell' or if it is actually really unhealthy to take a 'gasoline shower'. Some say it's the pipes in the apartment. But what can they do about the pipes... change them all??

Would be gratefull for any usefull comment/advice!
O.

I would be interested to find out as water is my field. How long have you lived there and is the building new or old? It sounds like a solvent of some sort in the water. This could come due to the use of new plastic pipes, the water treatment plant not doing its job properly or the management in your compound putting something in the water. If it is the pipes then the problem should go away before long. If it is worse in the morning then it could be the pipes if they are new.
"Never believe quotations you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln
hammerforlife
StreetBeater
StreetBeater

Postby Ogram » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:35 pm

Thank you Hammerforlife, interesting.

I only moved in recently (about 3 weeks ago) and the whole apartment had the same smell, which you would notice upon entering the apartment. back then I thought it was the detergent they had used for cleaning the apartment/wooden floors, but nope; it is still there and it comes from the water.
The building is about 10 years old, I think.

Even if the management is putting something in the water, like an extra detergent, shouldn't the filter in my apartment filter this out?

Any way, I am really curious about the samples that we have send to the laboratory/company.
Ogram

Postby hammerforlife » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:40 pm

Ogram wrote:Any way, I am really curious about the samples that we have send to the laboratory/company.

Me too, keep us posted.

Incidentally, if you run the taps for say 15 minutes is the smell still there?
hammerforlife
StreetBeater
StreetBeater

Postby tao_tao » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:58 pm

Jameyabc wrote:Water is good for health and our body contain 70% of water, Water may help to reduce your weight and makes your skin fair and pimples away.

Fish are having sex in the water all the time! Stick to beer, this is much safer.
The two rules to success:
1. Never tell everything you know.
tao_tao
Ranter
Ranter

Postby anter » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:31 pm

Since summer when the water still had that smell, it now looks clean and clear with no odor.
I'm in Jinqiao and wondering if anyone else has noticed that the water looks and smells better? Still not game to drink it unfiltered. The large plastic bottled water is a poor substitute for good quality tap water and I doubt that there is good quality control over the filtration of this water.

I'm planning to put filters on the shower and the kitchen outlet.
anter
Board Lord
Board Lord

Postby johnny_tropicana » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:41 am

You know you are headed for trouble when you brush your teeth with coca-cola
instead of the ooze that comes from the faucet....
We were meant to live for so much more
Have we lost ourselves?
johnny_tropicana
Veejay
Veejay

Mood: Tired
Location: Shanghai, Kalamay, Beijing, Chicago...What day is this?

Postby x-box » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:02 am

Let's Talk CHEMTRAILS pleeeeeeeeeeeease
x-box

Sun god

FooJay
FooJay

Postby myears » Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:00 pm

What I need to know is will plumbing fixtures, filters, shower heads, etc., bought in the US, fit Shanghai plumbing fixtures, especially pipes?????????

I live in WujiaoChang. About two weeks ago we had the pipes in our building replaced with new ones. Ever since then I've smelled this chemical odor coming from the tap. It's more intense with hot water. It reminds me of the odor I smelled when they re-painted the building door this past summer. Y'know that chemical smell you get when you pass by a construction site.

I believe it's some kind of solvent used in joining the pipes. I've smelled it in the hallway around the pipes.
My landlord can't smell it and the water company came and couldn't smell it either. But every time I wash my face or shave I get this chemical odor up my nose.

So, I stopped using the tap water. I've looked into filters and an activated carbon filter seems to be able to remove toxic chemicals and VOCs. I know Crystal Quest in the states sells these kinds of shower filters.

What I need to know is will plumbing fixtures, filters, shower heads, etc., bought in the US, fit Shanghai plumbing fixtures, especially pipes?????????

Thanks for any info regarding this question.
myears

Postby hammerforlife » Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:04 pm

myears wrote:What I need to know is will plumbing fixtures, filters, shower heads, etc., bought in the US, fit Shanghai plumbing fixtures, especially pipes?????????

Thanks for any info regarding this question.

Shanghai plumbing fittings are metric. I don't know much about US standards but I believe that most are still imperial? So basically they are unlikely to fit. However you can buy adaptors as, in the UK for example, some of the older systems still use imperial fittngs. If you can find suitable adaptors you will be fine. I don't know where to find these in Shanghai though.
hammerforlife
StreetBeater
StreetBeater

PreviousNext

Return to Food & Drink