Chat in China's biggest English language forum.
Receive our weekly
newsletter.
Find an apartment or rent
yours out.

Join the Shanghai Expat Community!

*   *  captcha
refresh
  I agree with the Shanghai Expat Terms of Service.  
Register   or   Sign in
CLOSE X
Email or username:
Password: Forgot your password?

Renewing a Chinese Driving Licence?

Renewing a Chinese Driving Licence?

Postby Dr.Glitz » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:16 pm

Hi all,
Unfortunately, China wants me to go through the pain of renewing my Chinese licence which I obtained in 2011 (6 year validity). Has anyone done this? and if so, could you please point me to what's required? timeframe etc?....

I'm hoping this is just a rubber-stamping job and not a full test resit and medical again...

Doc.G
Dr.Glitz
Barker
Barker

Re: Renewing a Chinese Driving Licence?

Postby deltaneutral » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:35 pm

I just did my renewal last week. You can get everything done in 3-4 hours, but they did make me take a physical again. I got the new license at the end of the ordeal.
deltaneutral
Squeeker
Squeeker

Postby Dr.Glitz » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:38 pm

Ah, 3-4 hours? I was hoping 20-30mins...

Thanks for the reply. Do you have a website you can point me to that lists the address and what you need to bring etc?.

Much appreciated.
Dr.Glitz
Barker
Barker

Postby Asylum-seeker » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:42 pm

If you live in changning there's one in Hami Rd and one in xinzhuang a bit further away. Mine is coming up soon too hope I don't have to do a physical, god dam color test I'm colorblind :?
I hate college hippies I really do!
Asylum-seeker
FooJay
FooJay

Postby MoonOverMiami » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:45 pm

Going to have to do the physical, including the color test.

Had to read 3 pictures, got stuck on the very last one. I blame the nongs who are so f***** blind driving at night that they need to turn on their high beams. That and the G**damn lights next to the surveillance camera.
Charly: "Were you always this stupid or did you take lessons?"
Mitch: "I took lessons."
MoonOverMiami
Fire-eater
Fire-eater

Postby Mister_happy » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:34 pm

Well keep the information flowing as I have to renew mine next year, how time flies!
I'm not saying I should kill ALL the stupid people, I'm just removing the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out!
Mister_happy
Fire-eater
Fire-eater

Postby Dr.Glitz » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:30 am

Thanks all - that's useful.
Does anyone have the website or address to hand?. I remember that the place I went to 6 years ago was like an all-in-one complex where you went from building 1 to 2 to 3 etc doing the various different bits of the medical and carrying your paperwork around from place to place.

Doc.G
Dr.Glitz
Barker
Barker

Postby Mel69 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:15 am

Last time I had to go through this they had change the rules , and the only place that will accept foreigners is Hami Rd .
Yes it is a large compound you need to go to Blg 2 first , small building at the right when you enter , this to fill the paperwork for the photos and the physical . This is all in Chinese so either you know Chinese or bring someone to help or play the stupid card ( not difficult to play for me ) and the guard or the lady at the desk will fill it for you .
Then the photos are taken right next door and the physical on blg 8 which was not far .
This was 2 years ago so who knows what else they have changed by now .......
Stress , Confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living shirtout of some idiot A H who desperately requires it

Friends are like condoms .....they are supposed to protect you when things get hard ....
Mel69
Veejay
Veejay

Postby crivens200 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:43 pm

When I got mine renewed 2 years ago, you needed to have a visa that lasted longer than 90 days, so a 90 day F or M visa doesn't work any longer. My buddy, who sat the test on the same day as me many years previously, came with me at the same time to renew and his renewal got turned down as he only had a 90 day visa.
crivens200
Low Seater
Low Seater

Postby Dr.Glitz » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:37 pm

Heard that there's an office on Hunan Road (PuDong) (No.2638 HUNAN ROAD PUDONG district). Does anyone know if they allow foreigners to renew there??
Dr.Glitz
Barker
Barker

Postby rolandchina80 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:41 pm

Did mine 2 months ago, took our accountant and she did everything, I just followed her around. Only one place over in Puxi. We went in the afternoon around 3.30pm, only took 20 minutes, nobody else around, just went from one station to another. Needed all your local stuff, residents visa, home lodging with police records, the usual gumpf. But very easy. Well easy because I had someone to do everything. None of the doctors/nurses looked interested and just passed you along like a parcel, getting towards the end of a busy day.
rolandchina80
Talker
Talker

Postby Bobg8zwf » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:42 am

My licence expired about 4 years ago. Problem is that I got the original in south China when I was working there. I was told that in order to renew it, I would have to travel to where it was issued and could not be renewed in SH.
Does anyone know if this is still the case?

I'm not too bothered as I let my wife do the driving, but it might be handy sometimes.
Bobg8zwf
Raver
Raver

Postby Asylum-seeker » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:59 am

That's true, but it's possible to do it if you know someone in the department talking from experience here.
Asylum-seeker
FooJay
FooJay

Postby rolandchina80 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:23 pm

If your now registered in as being here in Shanghai then it can be done here, regardless of where it was originally issued. If your still registered in South China, then you will have to go back there. Our colleague has just done it after changing his work registration from Tianjin to here in Shanghai.
rolandchina80
Talker
Talker

Postby Bobg8zwf » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:13 pm

Ah ok. My long term residents permit is for SH, so I'll have a think about it.
TNX
Bobg8zwf
Raver
Raver

Postby Dr.Glitz » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:39 am

Thanks everyone. This is useful but still wondering if there's a website anyone knows of?

Thx
Dr.Glitz
Barker
Barker

Postby The Silentist » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:12 pm

Would it be possible to apply for a Chinese drivers license if you hold a business visa that's valid for a year but that only allows you to stay 60 days per entry?
The Silentist
Talker
Talker

Postby Dr.Glitz » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:52 am

So....did this on Saturday - update as follows:
1. Start at building 10, get your piccy taken, pay for the forms and then proceed to building 9 for the "medical"
2. Get handed from room to room as you take the medical (eye test, color blindness, height/weight, hearing test, ECG, blood pressure).
3. On to building 1. Fight at reception to find out what to do next.
4. Go get docs photocopied on 2nd floor. (Temp res form, passport and existing licence)
5. Back to reception to get a 'ticket' number.
6. Wait at window until ticket called - submit all docs and then go back upstairs to 2nd floor.
7...to pay again for the final licence.
8. Back downstairs to collect the licence.

That being said, took me 2.5 hours for all that. So - any hope of getting a quick renewal was dashed - you need to go through the whole process AGAIN. Only silver lining was that this licence was a 10 year licence whereas the previous one was 6 years.

Finally, If your passport number has changed in the previous 6 years, take the old passport along too as your driving licence is linked to the passport number...

Good luck folks.
Dr.Glitz
Barker
Barker

Postby Mister_happy » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:54 pm

I will have to do this in February, so thanks for the info.
I'm not saying I should kill ALL the stupid people, I'm just removing the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out!
Mister_happy
Fire-eater
Fire-eater

Postby Asylum-seeker » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:28 pm

Me too. Mine is due on the 28th of Feb but it's more complicated. I have a Jiangsu visa but live in Shanghai. My inside contact said usually people with visas from other provinces should go to that province and renew but they will try to give me a Sh licence.
Asylum-seeker
FooJay
FooJay

Postby bobmercier » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:58 am

Related question. I got a new passport since my DL was issued and just noticed the passport # is part of the chinese DL #. I haven't tried to rent a car since having a new passport. Are they going to give me a hard time? Do I have to get a new Chinese DL?
bobmercier

Postby Asylum-seeker » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:01 pm

I'm in that situation now too :lol:, I just carry 2 passports around when I'm driving, when I renew in Feb I will have a new licence with my new passport number. I've been stopped at the toll gate many times, they only look at your licence not your passport and the car blue book. I wanted to renew my licence in December but my police buddy told me to wait until it expires, you're not allow to renew it early.
Asylum-seeker
FooJay
FooJay

Postby Mister_happy » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:48 pm

Just renewed my licence today and used Dr.Glitz notes to follow while there. Apart from I photocopied all my documents before at home so didn't have to waste time getting them done there. Also was following some Shanghai Princess around the route so I wouldn't get lost :wink: Legs up to the arm pits, six inch skirt and high heels :shock: I was worried the poor girl would get cold :)

Only hassle I had was at the start in Building 10 as the forms had to be filled in using Chinese, but the helpful security guard did it for me. All very cheap, 25rmb for the forms and Pictures, 60rmb for medical and 10rmb for the licence. Might be another fee but it would be chicken feed so don't worry about it.

Was not watching the clock but all done in less then an hour 1pm-2pm! I can see it taking 2 hours if there are longer queues, maybe everyone else was on holiday today. Building 1 You will require the old passport if the licence was obtained with the old number. This was checked at the end at the counter before the new licence issued.

This was done 9 days before my old licence expires as I would be on a driving holiday when it did originally end. Will not have to do this again till 2027!

But next have to register the car in March :roll:
Mister_happy
Fire-eater
Fire-eater

Postby Asylum-seeker » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:18 pm

Just had my license renewed 21 days before it was due and the whole process took about 20 mins I guess all the waidi ren aren't back yet. For Changning residents I took an Ofo( Mobikes are too heavy to ride) to Hami Rd and parked it at the main entrance. All the buildings you need to go to are quite close to the entrance, prices are what Mister_Happy said. First you go to building 10 for photos then building 9 to pick up your photos and do a medical then go to building 1 level 2 go to the foreign section to have your forms processed and wait a few minutes for your new license. Documents needed are your old licence, 2 copies of residence permit and 2 copies of passport and visa do this before you come as it is more convenient, they weren't interested in seeing my old passport even when I tried to shove it in their face. They said a lot of the foreigners were color blind like me but it didn't matter. Oh and don't wear bright colors I had a white shirt on but luckily my jacket was dark grey so they accepted that.
Asylum-seeker
FooJay
FooJay

Postby Asylum-seeker » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:20 am

I'm not sure if I'm legal to drive. My new license is legal on the 28th but they've taken my old licence away so there is that 3 weeks gap, hope I don't get pulled over. I get stopped at the toll gate at least once a month the ones that know my car just wave me by, only the newbies cause problems.
Asylum-seeker
FooJay
FooJay

Postby Mister_happy » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:01 am

Asylum-seeker wrote:I'm not sure if I'm legal to drive. My new license is legal on the 28th but they've taken my old licence away so there is that 3 weeks gap, hope I don't get pulled over. I get stopped at the toll gate at least once a month the ones that know my car just wave me by, only the newbies cause problems.

You mean you did see the signpost for "The Twilight Zone" that sent you back in time 3 weeks!
Mister_happy
Fire-eater
Fire-eater

Return to Transportation