Chat in China's biggest English language forum.
Receive our weekly
newsletter.
Find an apartment or rent
yours out.

Join the Shanghai Expat Community!

*   *  captcha
refresh
  I agree with the Shanghai Expat Terms of Service.  
Register   or   Sign in
CLOSE X
Email or username:
Password: Forgot your password?

Small Firewall of China

Small Firewall of China

Postby MoonOverMiami » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:59 pm

Everyone knows about the GFWoC...no big news.

But recently on a trip abroad I found that there is a Small Firewall of China in the form of our China Unicom sim card.

Here is the situation:
Abroad where there is no Internet restriction. When I try to access anything Google (eg Google Map, Google Play...), Facebook, Twitter, etc...using the wifi in Starbucks, or in a hotel or at someone's home there is no problem.

When I try accessing it via the local 4G network and data roaming, sucker hangs there until no end. Turn on the VPN, instant access again.

Anyone try using their Chinese sim card abroad and find they cannot access the usual sites like Facebook, Google, Twitter, etc?
Charly: "Were you always this stupid or did you take lessons?"
Mitch: "I took lessons."
MoonOverMiami
Fire-eater
Fire-eater

Re: Small Firewall of China

Postby r8 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:54 pm

MoonOverMiami wrote:Anyone try using their Chinese sim card abroad and find they cannot access the usual sites like Facebook, Google, Twitter, etc?

Why would we use foreign sim card aboard, accounting the cost of traffic ? :roll:
r8
Talker
Talker

Postby Asylum-seeker » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:44 pm

My Unicom works fine in Aus. Google, Facebook or whatever no probs. Had to turn on the 4G to access google map to my parents place from the airport.
I hate college hippies I really do!
Asylum-seeker
FooJay
FooJay

Postby MoonOverMiami » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:55 pm

Asylum-seeker wrote:My Unicom works fine in Aus. Google, Facebook or whatever no probs. Had to turn on the 4G to access google map to my parents place from the airport.

That's interesting! So your's work...hmmm. I also looked at my wife's phone and she had problems accessing Google Map. (but that may be an Apple/Google thing)

I will give it another go over CNY when we are stateside.
MoonOverMiami
Fire-eater
Fire-eater

Postby MoonOverMiami » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:58 pm

r8 wrote:Why would we use foreign sim card aboard, accounting the cost of traffic ? :roll:

Rates not too bad using Chinese sims overseas...at least its not bad in the US, France, Spain and Taiwan.

Need my number active in case there are business calls.
MoonOverMiami
Fire-eater
Fire-eater

Postby Mel69 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:02 pm

My unicom also works fine outside China I do not think your problem is the sim card but the Phone itself .
If you have a chinese phone ( even apple ) the blocks are in the root of the phone operating system .......
Stress , Confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living shirtout of some idiot A H who desperately requires it

Friends are like condoms .....they are supposed to protect you when things get hard ....
Mel69
Veejay
Veejay

Postby Asylum-seeker » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:27 pm

I have an iPhone 6s
Asylum-seeker
FooJay
FooJay

Postby Mel69 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:29 pm

Asylum-seeker wrote:I have an iPhone 6s

Me too but I did not bought the China version of it , my girlfriend did and had the same issue as moon when in Europe .
There is something with the model # not exactly sure but when in Barcelona last summer my girlfriend had the problem with her phone I stopped at a Apple store they told her there was nothing they can do ad explain something about model #'s and restrictions , she bout a new phone in Europe ( not apple ) change the SIM card from the old phone no more issue
Stress , Confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living shirtout of some idiot A H who desperately requires it

Friends are like condoms .....they are supposed to protect you when things get hard ....
Mel69
Veejay
Veejay

Postby MoonOverMiami » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:00 am

I had rooted my Note 4 to either HK or Singapore...could be problems with the code itself.

That would suck if iPhones are affected as well...thought it was a grudge between Apple and Google. On a side note, read Apple has filed a patent with the Chinese gov't for a dual sim iPhone to be sold in China only. Would be all over it, but if they're going to have problems with Google, FB and such...may stick with the HK version of the next Samsung Galaxy.
MoonOverMiami
Fire-eater
Fire-eater

Postby Asylum-seeker » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:29 pm

Asylum-seeker wrote:I have an iPhone 6s

U.S model :mrgreen: but bought in Shanghai.
Asylum-seeker
FooJay
FooJay

Postby MarvinHC » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:10 pm

Mel69 wrote:My unicom also works fine outside China I do not think your problem is the sim card but the Phone itself .
If you have a chinese phone ( even apple ) the blocks are in the root of the phone operating system .......

I have iPhones from China Mobile and they are not 'blocked' outside of China. I think it must be your SIM card.
MarvinHC
FooJay
FooJay

Postby Wagnett3 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:00 pm

I had the same blockages in the US this trip. I have an iPhone but can't recall if I bought it in Shanghai or HK
Wagnett3
Talker
Talker

Postby beenheretoolong » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:53 pm

I had the same problem with my iPhone 6 and China Mobile SIM. No facebook possible with or without VPN in any country. With wifi it's no problem. I thought it was a SIM issue but recently I tried with a 6s Plus in China and I can access facebook with my vpn. Seems to be a phone hardware issue.
beenheretoolong
Lurker
Lurker

Postby MarvinHC » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:56 am

I tried it out with my iPhone7+, provided by China Mobile (A1661) with a Belgian SIM Card: No problem accessing facebook.

So I doubt there is a hardware block, I think it is all in the SIM card.
MarvinHC
FooJay
FooJay

Postby crivens200 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:05 pm

I've got the same problem, using China mobile sim.

I think it's something to do with reciprocation of Data services between phone providers internationally.

When I go overseas I use a 30rmb a day data service on China mobile. Small cost to keep the number active whilst overseas. Need the number open for business purposes. When I use FB or any Google services on International roaming with my China mobile sim it's blocked even though it might be an overseas data provider, such as Softbank in Japan. I think the data part is routed back to China Mobile so you get the shitty CM data service.

Conversely, my business partner can use Facebook when he comes to China, even though he's on China mobile service, with Vodafone his end supplier.

Wifi is fine - can get on anything as normal when overseas.
crivens200
Low Seater
Low Seater

Postby cszhy2017 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:42 am

actually the firewall of mobile phone is also a part of the GFW project
any internet connection provided by the local Chinese ISP is under the control of GFW.
now the vpn is also under control. they can shut it down if they want to.
cszhy2017

Postby x77711 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:12 am

Let me give you an engineering level explanation of this:
When you do international data roaming with a SIM card the phone uses the APN (Access Point Name) programmed in which is the SIM cards home carriers gateway for ALL traffic. This creates a IP tunnel with the carriers gateway. If you go overseas your traffic over EDGE HSPA+ or LTE GOES BACK TO THE GATEWAY OF YOUR SIM CARD PROVIDER (China Mobile, Unicom, Telecom) in affect having the Chinese firewall overseas. In WiFi local routing is used via DHCP so it doesn't occur. The opposite happens if I use a T-Mobile SIM card on China Unicom on LTE for example: All traffic is proxied back to T-Mobile's gateway in California before going out to the internet and you get a US IP address as well. There is local-breakout technology from some international roaming backbone carriers but it depends on where the gateway is.

Actually this stuff is actually marketed by China Mobile and China Unicom's Hong Kong divisions as HK/China SIM cards bypassing the firewall. That's because for China Mobile/Unicom HK SIM cards the IP tunnel gateway (APN) is in HK so ALL your traffic is proxied via HK so you HK internet essentially...
x77711

Postby crivens200 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:21 pm

x77711 wrote:Actually this stuff is actually marketed by China Mobile and China Unicom's Hong Kong divisions as HK/China SIM cards bypassing the firewall. That's because for China Mobile/Unicom HK SIM cards the IP tunnel gateway (APN) is in HK so ALL your traffic is proxied via HK so you HK internet essentially...

I presume the telephone number provided by the HK division of CM is a +852 number rather than a +86 number?
crivens200
Low Seater
Low Seater

Postby x77711 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:23 pm

crivens200,

You are correct. China Mobile offers the HK-Mainland 4G data roaming SIM here:
http://www.hk.chinamobile.com/en/corpor ... -data.html
x77711

Return to Technology and Internet