Chat in China's biggest English language forum.
Receive our weekly
newsletter.
Find an apartment or rent
yours out.

Join the Shanghai Expat Community!

*   *  captcha
refresh
  I agree with the Shanghai Expat Terms of Service.  
Register   or   Sign in
CLOSE X
Email or username:
Password: Forgot your password?

CELTA courses in China around March 2017

Find language exchange partners here (Schools/teachers may NOT advertise here)

CELTA courses in China around March 2017

Postby Truefaux » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:02 pm

Hi Guys

I had a browse around the site but couldn't find anything that quite matches this question.

I'm planning on doing the intensive CELTA qualification, ideally from late February/early March and in China. (I realise it's not mandatory to have this qualification - no advice required on that point.)

Via Google I couldn't find anything closely matching that, and the closest was Language Link 5-28 April in Beijing RMB12,500 (USD1,800). Whereas International House Beijing has one from 20 June–15 July for RMB 11,500 (USD 1,700).

Does anyone have any suggestions of where (if anywhere) I can find other suitable options for intensive in-person CELTA training in China for late February/early March or as soon as possible thereafter? Any provider is fine so long as they don't have a bad reputation.

Otherwise I'll probably end up on an International House Thailand course from 13 March - 7 April for US$1,600 - but I don't particularly want to go to Thailand!

Thanks!
Truefaux

Re: CELTA courses in China around March 2017

Postby MrCH » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:19 am

There is one run during the summer June/July at Shanghai University organized by University of Technology, Sydney

http://www.insearch.edu.au/Teacher-Trai ... LC-details

I did my CELTA in Thailand at Ecc in Bangkok.

They excellent courses no matter where you do them.

Thailand just seems a but cheaper in terms of course fees, cost of living during the course ect.

I think doing the course in the country you would like to take your first job (after completing the course) in helps a little.
MrCH
Talker
Talker

Postby Truefaux » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:04 am

Many thanks - in case anyone knows of anything in China happening in late February/early March or as soon as possible thereafter, please shout!
Truefaux

Postby translator57 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:29 am

Can I just ask, out of pure curiosity - why bother? If it's not mandatory, that's a lot of time and an awful lot of cash for something you don't really need. Unless you are really serious about teaching? Why not just save up and take a year to become an actual fully qualified teacher instead?
translator57
Talker
Talker

Postby Truefaux » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:47 am

Translator57 - just the normal reasons, such as not having a year to spare
Truefaux

Postby MrCH » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:59 am

Truefaux wrote:Translator57 - just the normal reasons, such as not having a year to spare

You could always do a distance PGCE. That way you can live abroad, continue working, and gain a teaching qualification that extends beyond TEFL teaching. They're not overly cheap but are worth doing.

Also some distance PGCEs are better than others such as Sunderland is is preferred over the Nottingham one because many countries and schools will only recognize certain distance PGCE qualifications providing they meet a particular criteria i.e having a QTS qualified mentor.

I have both a PGCE with QTS and a CELTA and find that they are really valued by international schools who not only teach UK curricular but also have high numbers of students whose English is not their first language. The CELTA is a great way to get into teaching and is an excellent course (i still maintain that i learnt more about pedagogy by doing my CELTA than i did by doing my PGCE), but a TEFL Cert alone is just not enough to get you jobs which offer better packages such as at International Schools.
MrCH
Talker
Talker

Postby Truefaux » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:45 am

Thanks for the helpful tips!
Truefaux

Postby translator57 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:52 pm

Truefaux wrote:Translator57 - just the normal reasons, such as not having a year to spare

I see, fair enough! Just a suggestion really, although you are the only one who knows what you want for your long term future!
translator57
Talker
Talker

Return to Language Exchange