Chat in China's biggest English language forum.
Receive our weekly
newsletter.
Find an apartment or rent
yours out.

Join the Shanghai Expat Community!

*   *   *  
*   *  captcha
refresh
  Sign up for Shanghai Expat newsletter.
  Sign up for Shanghai Family newsletter.
  I agree with the Shanghai Expat Terms of Service.  
Register   or   Sign in
CLOSE X
Email or username:
Password: Forgot your password?

How To Survive As A Vegetarian In Shanghai

How To Survive As A Vegetarian In Shanghai

Postby seabass » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:27 pm

So, I'm not vegetarian, but I just wanted to ask all the grazers out there....how do you survive as a vegetarian in Shanghai when even the veg dishes are lubed in pork fat. Which rests you go to? Do you have to cook every night? Are there Chinese/Shanghai dishes that are reliably vegetarian?
seabass
Barker
Barker
 
Posts: 169
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:26 am

Re: How To Survive As A Vegetarian In Shanghai

Postby translator57 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:01 pm

Got to be flexible with it. I'm not so strict that I can't touch anything that's been in oil or had meat near it- ill even eat dishes mixed with meat and just give the meat to whoever I'm eating with. Most of the time I cook at home. I have some vegan friends who refuse to touch anything animal based- even honey. They are super strict and only eat in the same restaurants, get staff to find out ingredients etc etc ... Good job they aren't in China haha.
translator57
Talker
Talker
 
Posts: 122
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:28 pm

Re: How To Survive As A Vegetarian In Shanghai

Postby blackbeautymusic » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:20 pm

I'd also be quite interested to know what vegetarian/vegan restaurants there are in Shanghai. I spent several years as a vegan in New Zealand. I'd say that although there are more options available in the West in terms of eating out (i.e. dishes specifically labelled as vegetarian/vegan on the menus), attitudes towards vegetarians and vegans (including from wait staff) is generally worse than in Asia.
blackbeautymusic
Squeeker
Squeeker
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:13 pm

Re: How To Survive As A Vegetarian In Shanghai

Postby translator57 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:43 pm

blackbeautymusic wrote:I'd also be quite interested to know what vegetarian/vegan restaurants there are in Shanghai. I spent several years as a vegan in New Zealand. I'd say that although there are more options available in the West in terms of eating out (i.e. dishes specifically labelled as vegetarian/vegan on the menus), attitudes towards vegetarians and vegans (including from wait staff) is generally worse than in Asia.


I think it depends where you are in the west. Some places are quite good (I'm currently in Madrid which has quite a few veggie/vegan places that are cheap and funky). France is terrible- they are really not with it and the attitude sucks in general. The UK is mixed. I'm from a poor working class area- being vegetarian is just plain strange to most people there- for some its just all about the meat and the lack of knowledge is overwhelming- even my mother asked if I was "ok" and "what are you eating then..." and "are you getting enough protein"... Pointing out that since changing certain food habits I've not been sick in several years etc, simply falls on deaf ears. I hate that some restaurants think it's ok to just add a pissy salad or pasta dish and label it "vegetarian", as if that's all we eat! I also hate that some veggie dishes/places are over priced as if we are luxury or rich. But yes, planning on returning to the 'Hai soon and would like to know some good restaurants.
translator57
Talker
Talker
 
Posts: 122
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:28 pm

Re: How To Survive As A Vegetarian In Shanghai

Postby seabass » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:23 pm

I have been to Lucky Zen, which serves some of the best mock stuff -- hairy crab, pork etc -- I've ever had. Think it's because they care about food more than ideology.
seabass
Barker
Barker
 
Posts: 169
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:26 am

Re: How To Survive As A Vegetarian In Shanghai

Postby translator57 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:34 pm

seabass wrote:I have been to Lucky Zen, which serves some of the best mock stuff -- hairy crab, pork etc -- I've ever had. Think it's because they care about food more than ideology.


I don't like the mock stuff... I just don't get the point...
translator57
Talker
Talker
 
Posts: 122
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:28 pm

Re: How To Survive As A Vegetarian In Shanghai

Postby Moonlighting » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:30 am

You have to keep in mind that in many places, just having enough to eat is a marvelous thing, and meat is a sign of prosperity. It's only in places where they have too much food that people become strict about what they eat.

That being said, there are good dishes to be found at some of the nice hotel restaurants in town.

Personally, I don't understand the mock stuff either. Why would someone want processed junk that is supposed to taste like something else? Then too, much of today's pickiness is trendy and not necessarily more healthy. In fact, it could actually be depriving your body of certain things you need.

The one thing that surprises me is how difficult it is to find a place that simply has stir fry vegetables on rice. They're always wanting to toss some sort of pork product all over it.
User avatar
Moonlighting
SuperStar
SuperStar
 
Posts: 1422
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:31 pm

Re: How To Survive As A Vegetarian In Shanghai

Postby translator57 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:09 am

Moonlighting wrote:You have to keep in mind that in many places, just having enough to eat is a marvelous thing, and meat is a sign of prosperity. It's only in places where they have too much food that people become strict about what they eat.

That being said, there are good dishes to be found at some of the nice hotel restaurants in town.

Personally, I don't understand the mock stuff either. Why would someone want processed junk that is supposed to taste like something else? Then too, much of today's pickiness is trendy and not necessarily more healthy. In fact, it could actually be depriving your body of certain things you need.

The one thing that surprises me is how difficult it is to find a place that simply has stir fry vegetables on rice. They're always wanting to toss some sort of pork product all over it.


Very true. I guess it's easy to forget when we have too much of everything. Although I still gag at the memories of my dad forcing kidney, liver and whatnot down my throat as a kid... Mock stuff is weird. God knows what they do to it. Why fuss around with your food making it into something it's not?!
translator57
Talker
Talker
 
Posts: 122
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:28 pm

Re: How To Survive As A Vegetarian In Shanghai

Postby seabass » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:32 pm

seabass
Barker
Barker
 
Posts: 169
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:26 am

Re: How To Survive As A Vegetarian In Shanghai

Postby ZaphodB » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:15 am

I can suffer the presence of moderate vegetarians, but vegans should be deep fried in animal fat and served on skewers.
"Hey Baby! I'm from another planet. Wanna see my spaceship?"
User avatar
ZaphodB
PopStar
PopStar
 
Posts: 1039
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:32 pm
Location: Previously known as "The Whore of the East"

Re: How To Survive As A Vegetarian In Shanghai

Postby bigroh74 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:28 pm

ZaphodB wrote:I can suffer the presence of moderate vegetarians, but vegans should be deep fried in animal fat and served on skewers.

:roll: And there you have one of the best arguments for cutting meat from your diet. It obviously does something to the brain.
bigroh74
Veejay
Veejay
 
Posts: 2031
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:24 pm

Re: How To Survive As A Vegetarian In Shanghai

Postby ZaphodB » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:02 am

bigroh74 wrote:
ZaphodB wrote:I can suffer the presence of moderate vegetarians, but vegans should be deep fried in animal fat and served on skewers.

:roll: And there you have one of the best arguments for cutting meat from your diet. It obviously does something to the brain.

You could become part of my diet too
"Hey Baby! I'm from another planet. Wanna see my spaceship?"
User avatar
ZaphodB
PopStar
PopStar
 
Posts: 1039
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:32 pm
Location: Previously known as "The Whore of the East"

Re: How To Survive As A Vegetarian In Shanghai

Postby isabellesh » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:58 pm

Cook at home is the best way. always the best way
isabellesh
Newbie
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:55 pm


Return to Food & Drink

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests