Chat in China's biggest English language forum.
Receive our weekly
newsletter.
Find an apartment or rent
yours out.

Join the Shanghai Expat Community!

*   *   *  
*   *  captcha
refresh
  Sign up for Shanghai Expat newsletter.
  Sign up for Shanghai Family newsletter.
  I agree with the Shanghai Expat Terms of Service.  
Register   or   Sign in
CLOSE X
Email or username:
Password: Forgot your password?

craft beers in Shanghai

This forum is for chatting about living the good life in Shanghai

craft beers in Shanghai

Postby tralfaz » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:46 am

I been going to Shanghai for the past few years for business and vacation. Lately I've switched from drinking wines and scotches to craft beers in the US. In my last trip (November), I had trouble finding decent beers in my regular spots. When I got home I did a little research and found two good bottle locations, Jackie's Beernest and the Beer Lady. Are these the two best options for craft beer varieties? I'm particularly hooked on east coast IPAs at the moment.
tralfaz
Newbie
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:39 am

Re: craft beers in Shanghai

Postby MrCH » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:43 pm

tralfaz wrote:I been going to Shanghai for the past few years for business and vacation. Lately I've switched from drinking wines and scotches to craft beers in the US. In my last trip (November), I had trouble finding decent beers in my regular spots. When I got home I did a little research and found two good bottle locations, Jackie's Beernest and the Beer Lady. Are these the two best options for craft beer varieties? I'm particularly hooked on east coast IPAs at the moment.


These three brew their own beer.

1. Boxing Cat Brewery has three locations. Two on Fuxing Road and One in Hongqiao. Probably my first choice for craft beer.

2. Shanghai Brewery on Hengshan Road is not bad. You should ask for the what special brews they have as the regular menu doesn't change.

3. The Brew at the Kerry Center has excellent craft beer but just a little too expensive for my liking.

Other options are a few places selling more commercial craft beer such as Daga Brew Pub that has 47 beers on tap. It's next to the Boxing Cat in Fuxing Road. And District on Yuyuan Road. One or two places on Hongmei Lu (Laowai Street). Cool bar on Pangyu Road (bottle shop), similar to beer lady but i prefer it. They do a good pizza.
MrCH
Talker
Talker
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:58 pm

Re: craft beers in Shanghai

Postby Dazza » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:30 pm

Add to that Dr Beer and also WOB next door to each other on Fumin Lu.
Taoker on Wuding lu Bar street also opening soon, lots of bottles and 12 taps, and a massage place haha
If the music's too loud then u r too old.
User avatar
Dazza
StreetBeater
StreetBeater
 
Posts: 2231
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:15 pm
Location: In a Pub...

Re: craft beers in Shanghai

Postby seabass » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:28 am

tralfaz wrote:I been going to Shanghai for the past few years for business and vacation. Lately I've switched from drinking wines and scotches to craft beers in the US. In my last trip (November), I had trouble finding decent beers in my regular spots. When I got home I did a little research and found two good bottle locations, Jackie's Beernest and the Beer Lady. Are these the two best options for craft beer varieties? I'm particularly hooked on east coast IPAs at the moment.


Boxing Cat, Liquid Laundry, The Brew, Shanghai Brewery. Places to avoid: World Of Beer and the Shanghai Beer Factory or any other place that has only Chinese customers. Not being racist; would you go to a Chinese restaurant in NY that has only white Americans?
seabass
Barker
Barker
 
Posts: 161
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:26 am

Re: craft beers in Shanghai

Postby Rutilus » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:52 pm

Done some "less serious" drinking at Kaiba.
http://kaiba-beerbar.com/en/location.aspx
Rutilus
Squeeker
Squeeker
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu May 26, 2016 9:51 am

Re: craft beers in Shanghai

Postby tralfaz » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:19 am

MrCH wrote:
tralfaz wrote:I been going to Shanghai for the past few years for business and vacation. Lately I've switched from drinking wines and scotches to craft beers in the US. In my last trip (November), I had trouble finding decent beers in my regular spots. When I got home I did a little research and found two good bottle locations, Jackie's Beernest and the Beer Lady. Are these the two best options for craft beer varieties? I'm particularly hooked on east coast IPAs at the moment.


These three brew their own beer.

1. Boxing Cat Brewery has three locations. Two on Fuxing Road and One in Hongqiao. Probably my first choice for craft beer.

2. Shanghai Brewery on Hengshan Road is not bad. You should ask for the what special brews they have as the regular menu doesn't change.

3. The Brew at the Kerry Center has excellent craft beer but just a little too expensive for my liking.

Other options are a few places selling more commercial craft beer such as Daga Brew Pub that has 47 beers on tap. It's next to the Boxing Cat in Fuxing Road. And District on Yuyuan Road. One or two places on Hongmei Lu (Laowai Street). Cool bar on Pangyu Road (bottle shop), similar to beer lady but i prefer it. They do a good pizza.


I had to leave Shanghai before my wife, so I sent her to check out the Boxing Cat and Shanghai brewery back in November. She's not the big beer fan like I am but she knows what I like and found the local brews to somewhat uninteresting and immature compared to what I've been drinking here in the US. What's been getting a lot of momentum here are the small brew collaborations from places like Other Half, Trillium, Evil Twin and special releases from Alchemist, Three Floyds, Cigar City. Have any of you had a chance to drink these beers and compared them to the local crafts?

I find most of the beer bars in Shanghai a bit stuffy and pretentious. The pizza bar, sounds right up my alley and I'll be sure to give it a visit when I come back in the spring and summer. Think I found that one on Foursquare, is it called "JustCool"?
tralfaz
Newbie
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:39 am

Re: craft beers in Shanghai

Postby tralfaz » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:25 am

Dazza wrote:Add to that Dr Beer and also WOB next door to each other on Fumin Lu.
Taoker on Wuding lu Bar street also opening soon, lots of bottles and 12 taps, and a massage place haha


WOB is a bar chain in the US, there's one in a college town nearby me. I've actually never been since it always looks too big and cavernous. Small and cozy is more my comfort zone.
tralfaz
Newbie
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:39 am

Re: craft beers in Shanghai

Postby tralfaz » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:41 am

seabass wrote:
tralfaz wrote:I been going to Shanghai for the past few years for business and vacation. Lately I've switched from drinking wines and scotches to craft beers in the US. In my last trip (November), I had trouble finding decent beers in my regular spots. When I got home I did a little research and found two good bottle locations, Jackie's Beernest and the Beer Lady. Are these the two best options for craft beer varieties? I'm particularly hooked on east coast IPAs at the moment.


Boxing Cat, Liquid Laundry, The Brew, Shanghai Brewery. Places to avoid: World Of Beer and the Shanghai Beer Factory or any other place that has only Chinese customers. Not being racist; would you go to a Chinese restaurant in NY that has only white Americans?


haha, probably not
The one commonality I have noticed in all of Asia is that westerners like to go to bars, and the locals are just starting to catch on, though the concept of not pounding beers seems to be an anomaly. I guess the "Cheers" bars where you just hangout and chill is not really popular in Asia. Craft beers should be enjoyed like a fine wine, sipped and not pounded. My assumption is that those going to WOB or the Shanghai Beer Factory are not the ones looking for good beer. You can find cheap beer anywhere in the world, its amazing how hard good beer is to find. Conversely, good wine and scotch is plentiful in Shanghai. Maybe there's no room for a beer culture in China?
tralfaz
Newbie
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:39 am

Re: craft beers in Shanghai

Postby tralfaz » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:57 am

Rutilus wrote:Done some "less serious" drinking at Kaiba.
http://kaiba-beerbar.com/en/location.aspx


I saw them in a few searches as well, but I can't seem to make out the type of beers served or clientèle.

Also found a few more beer bars. Any of these worth a visit? The place with vinyl and beer looks like my basement...lol

-District
-Hop Project
-Uptown Records n' Beer
tralfaz
Newbie
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:39 am

Re: craft beers in Shanghai

Postby MrCH » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:39 pm

tralfaz wrote:
MrCH wrote:
tralfaz wrote:I been going to Shanghai for the past few years for business and vacation. Lately I've switched from drinking wines and scotches to craft beers in the US. In my last trip (November), I had trouble finding decent beers in my regular spots. When I got home I did a little research and found two good bottle locations, Jackie's Beernest and the Beer Lady. Are these the two best options for craft beer varieties? I'm particularly hooked on east coast IPAs at the moment.


These three brew their own beer.

1. Boxing Cat Brewery has three locations. Two on Fuxing Road and One in Hongqiao. Probably my first choice for craft beer.

2. Shanghai Brewery on Hengshan Road is not bad. You should ask for the what special brews they have as the regular menu doesn't change.

3. The Brew at the Kerry Center has excellent craft beer but just a little too expensive for my liking.

Other options are a few places selling more commercial craft beer such as Daga Brew Pub that has 47 beers on tap. It's next to the Boxing Cat in Fuxing Road. And District on Yuyuan Road. One or two places on Hongmei Lu (Laowai Street). Cool bar on Pangyu Road (bottle shop), similar to beer lady but i prefer it. They do a good pizza.


I had to leave Shanghai before my wife, so I sent her to check out the Boxing Cat and Shanghai brewery back in November. She's not the big beer fan like I am but she knows what I like and found the local brews to somewhat uninteresting and immature compared to what I've been drinking here in the US. What's been getting a lot of momentum here are the small brew collaborations from places like Other Half, Trillium, Evil Twin and special releases from Alchemist, Three Floyds, Cigar City. Have any of you had a chance to drink these beers and compared them to the local crafts?

I find most of the beer bars in Shanghai a bit stuffy and pretentious. The pizza bar, sounds right up my alley and I'll be sure to give it a visit when I come back in the spring and summer. Think I found that one on Foursquare, is it called "JustCool"?


I really like the atmosphere at the Boxing Cat on Fuxing Road near Yongfu Road - it's small, kinda comfy living room looking, not such business lunch type place. I'm not keen on their other locations at all. Same has to be said for the other craft beer places i mentioned.

Not all of the beers at Boxing Cat are Great. Right Hook Helles was horrible IMHO. But i like the Scottish Kiss Ale, Triple Threat, and their stouts. I also like their Pilsner. I guess it can be a little hit and miss but they rotate the beers which keeps it interesting. I'm not beer expert and relatively new to the craft beer scene and have little experience of drinking craft beer outside of Shanghai TBH. But i know what i like and there is nearly always a beer or two on tap at Boxing Cat which i really like. Plus, Daga Brew Pub is literally next door if Boxing Cat disappoints.

I do think the Boxing Cat needs a new food menu, give their kitchen a good deep clean, and not make their food so rich. I always feel not so good after eating there.
MrCH
Talker
Talker
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:58 pm

Re: craft beers in Shanghai

Postby tralfaz » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:47 am

MrCH wrote:
tralfaz wrote:
MrCH wrote:
tralfaz wrote:I been going to Shanghai for the past few years for business and vacation. Lately I've switched from drinking wines and scotches to craft beers in the US. In my last trip (November), I had trouble finding decent beers in my regular spots. When I got home I did a little research and found two good bottle locations, Jackie's Beernest and the Beer Lady. Are these the two best options for craft beer varieties? I'm particularly hooked on east coast IPAs at the moment.


These three brew their own beer.

1. Boxing Cat Brewery has three locations. Two on Fuxing Road and One in Hongqiao. Probably my first choice for craft beer.

2. Shanghai Brewery on Hengshan Road is not bad. You should ask for the what special brews they have as the regular menu doesn't change.

3. The Brew at the Kerry Center has excellent craft beer but just a little too expensive for my liking.

Other options are a few places selling more commercial craft beer such as Daga Brew Pub that has 47 beers on tap. It's next to the Boxing Cat in Fuxing Road. And District on Yuyuan Road. One or two places on Hongmei Lu (Laowai Street). Cool bar on Pangyu Road (bottle shop), similar to beer lady but i prefer it. They do a good pizza.


I had to leave Shanghai before my wife, so I sent her to check out the Boxing Cat and Shanghai brewery back in November. She's not the big beer fan like I am but she knows what I like and found the local brews to somewhat uninteresting and immature compared to what I've been drinking here in the US. What's been getting a lot of momentum here are the small brew collaborations from places like Other Half, Trillium, Evil Twin and special releases from Alchemist, Three Floyds, Cigar City. Have any of you had a chance to drink these beers and compared them to the local crafts?

I find most of the beer bars in Shanghai a bit stuffy and pretentious. The pizza bar, sounds right up my alley and I'll be sure to give it a visit when I come back in the spring and summer. Think I found that one on Foursquare, is it called "JustCool"?


I really like the atmosphere at the Boxing Cat on Fuxing Road near Yongfu Road - it's small, kinda comfy living room looking, not such business lunch type place. I'm not keen on their other locations at all. Same has to be said for the other craft beer places i mentioned.

Not all of the beers at Boxing Cat are Great. Right Hook Helles was horrible IMHO. But i like the Scottish Kiss Ale, Triple Threat, and their stouts. I also like their Pilsner. I guess it can be a little hit and miss but they rotate the beers which keeps it interesting. I'm not beer expert and relatively new to the craft beer scene and have little experience of drinking craft beer outside of Shanghai TBH. But i know what i like and there is nearly always a beer or two on tap at Boxing Cat which i really like. Plus, Daga Brew Pub is literally next door if Boxing Cat disappoints.

I do think the Boxing Cat needs a new food menu, give their kitchen a good deep clean, and not make their food so rich. I always feel not so good after eating there.


I just looked up some photos of the Right Hook Helles and it doesn't look like any other Helles lager I've come across. I'm not surprised you didn't like the Helles as it is supposed to be the beer you serve to someone who isn't crazy about the bold and hoppy craft beers. Lagers by far out sell any other type of beer in China and internationally, so I wouldn't be surprised to see it on their regular beer menu.

As for your take on the food, I'm surprised its not particularly inspiring, since the owner is a restaurateur from the US. Me personally, the perfect accompaniment to good beer is BBQ or a good USDA hamburger. I'll try to visit the Fuxing location in my next visit, but be sure to eat prior.... :)
tralfaz
Newbie
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:39 am

Re: craft beers in Shanghai

Postby TheWulf » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:38 pm

I do think the Boxing Cat needs a new food menu, give their kitchen a good deep clean, and not make their food so rich. I always feel not so good after eating there.[/quote]

Yes, spot on... I was there on Monday for the great beer deal (25 kuai all night), had a burger, but felt uncomfortable and stuffed even though I only finished half.

Beer Lady has so many beers, also Evil Twin as you mentioned earlier.
My favorites;
-Beer Lady
-Just Cool
-Shanghai Brewery (for their IPA and Pilsner)
-BCB

For Kaiba, they have an amazing deal on Saturdays and Sundays; 168 kuai for one dish and free flow beer from 11am - 3/4pm. Beers are La chouffe, Goose Island, Vedett, Stella Artois.. However, the beer choice seems to rotate.
TheWulf
Seeker
Seeker
 
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:20 pm

Re: craft beers in Shanghai

Postby Dazza » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:19 pm

tralfaz wrote:
Rutilus wrote:Done some "less serious" drinking at Kaiba.
http://kaiba-beerbar.com/en/location.aspx


I saw them in a few searches as well, but I can't seem to make out the type of beers served or clientèle.

Also found a few more beer bars. Any of these worth a visit? The place with vinyl and beer looks like my basement...lol

-District
-Hop Project
-Uptown Records n' Beer[/quote

all are cool places

District do Boulevard pale ale which i like, nice after work joint.

Hop Project is more of a tap takeover place, currently little Creatures from Aus on their taps, next door to that is the newly open Caxton, they have 10 taps inc Brewdog Turatara, BC etc outsdie spaces too.

Uptown is great little place near Boxing Cat run by Sacco and his wife Sophia, all bottles and cans at great prices, plus u can listen and buy vinyl.
If the music's too loud then u r too old.
User avatar
Dazza
StreetBeater
StreetBeater
 
Posts: 2231
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:15 pm
Location: In a Pub...

Re: craft beers in Shanghai

Postby tralfaz » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:07 am

TheWulf wrote:I do think the Boxing Cat needs a new food menu, give their kitchen a good deep clean, and not make their food so rich. I always feel not so good after eating there.


Yes, spot on... I was there on Monday for the great beer deal (25 kuai all night), had a burger, but felt uncomfortable and stuffed even though I only finished half.

Beer Lady has so many beers, also Evil Twin as you mentioned earlier.
My favorites;
-Beer Lady
-Just Cool
-Shanghai Brewery (for their IPA and Pilsner)
-BCB

For Kaiba, they have an amazing deal on Saturdays and Sundays; 168 kuai for one dish and free flow beer from 11am - 3/4pm. Beers are La chouffe, Goose Island, Vedett, Stella Artois.. However, the beer choice seems to rotate.[/quote]

good info thanks
I've noticed no mention of Jackie's BeerNest which is written up everywhere for the past 5 years. Is it just hype or worth going?
tralfaz
Newbie
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:39 am

Re: craft beers in Shanghai

Postby tralfaz » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:18 am

Dazza wrote:
tralfaz wrote:
Rutilus wrote:Done some "less serious" drinking at Kaiba.
http://kaiba-beerbar.com/en/location.aspx


I saw them in a few searches as well, but I can't seem to make out the type of beers served or clientèle.

Also found a few more beer bars. Any of these worth a visit? The place with vinyl and beer looks like my basement...lol

-District
-Hop Project
-Uptown Records n' Beer[/quote

all are cool places

District do Boulevard pale ale which i like, nice after work joint.

Hop Project is more of a tap takeover place, currently little Creatures from Aus on their taps, next door to that is the newly open Caxton, they have 10 taps inc Brewdog Turatara, BC etc outsdie spaces too.

Uptown is great little place near Boxing Cat run by Sacco and his wife Sophia, all bottles and cans at great prices, plus u can listen and buy vinyl.


Sounds like Uptown will be a sure visit. I'm going to bring 3 cases of beer with me this spring. My uncle's into beers and I want to show him what's big here in the states, mostly east coast. Will likely leave some with Sacco and Sophia for good karma.

Do you know if the following beers companies have made it over there:
- Other Half (Brooklyn)
- Finback (Queens)
- Kane (New Jersey)
- Magnify (New Jersey)
- Trillium (Boston)
- Tree House (Massachusetts)
- Tire Hands (Philly)
tralfaz
Newbie
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:39 am

Re: craft beers in Shanghai

Postby MrCH » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:28 am

tralfaz wrote:
Dazza wrote:
tralfaz wrote:
Rutilus wrote:Done some "less serious" drinking at Kaiba.
http://kaiba-beerbar.com/en/location.aspx


I saw them in a few searches as well, but I can't seem to make out the type of beers served or clientèle.

Also found a few more beer bars. Any of these worth a visit? The place with vinyl and beer looks like my basement...lol

-District
-Hop Project
-Uptown Records n' Beer[/quote

all are cool places

District do Boulevard pale ale which i like, nice after work joint.

Hop Project is more of a tap takeover place, currently little Creatures from Aus on their taps, next door to that is the newly open Caxton, they have 10 taps inc Brewdog Turatara, BC etc outsdie spaces too.

Uptown is great little place near Boxing Cat run by Sacco and his wife Sophia, all bottles and cans at great prices, plus u can listen and buy vinyl.


Sounds like Uptown will be a sure visit. I'm going to bring 3 cases of beer with me this spring. My uncle's into beers and I want to show him what's big here in the states, mostly east coast. Will likely leave some with Sacco and Sophia for good karma.

Do you know if the following beers companies have made it over there:
- Other Half (Brooklyn)
- Finback (Queens)
- Kane (New Jersey)
- Magnify (New Jersey)
- Trillium (Boston)
- Tree House (Massachusetts)
- Tire Hands (Philly)


have you checked out what Craft Beers are regularly available here in Shanghai?

Shanghai9
Epermarket
Liquid Solutions Asia

All have a varied selection of Craft Beer for delivery and online stores. I've used Shanghai9 and i regularly shop at Epermarket (mainly for groceries) but i've never used Liquid Solutions Asia who i met at Shanghai's yearly Beer Festival/s.
MrCH
Talker
Talker
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:58 pm

Re: craft beers in Shanghai

Postby Dazza » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:53 pm

MrCH wrote:
tralfaz wrote:
Dazza wrote:
tralfaz wrote:
Rutilus wrote:Done some "less serious" drinking at Kaiba.
http://kaiba-beerbar.com/en/location.aspx


I saw them in a few searches as well, but I can't seem to make out the type of beers served or clientèle.

Also found a few more beer bars. Any of these worth a visit? The place with vinyl and beer looks like my basement...lol

-District
-Hop Project
-Uptown Records n' Beer[/quote

all are cool places

District do Boulevard pale ale which i like, nice after work joint.

Hop Project is more of a tap takeover place, currently little Creatures from Aus on their taps, next door to that is the newly open Caxton, they have 10 taps inc Brewdog Turatara, BC etc outsdie spaces too.

Uptown is great little place near Boxing Cat run by Sacco and his wife Sophia, all bottles and cans at great prices, plus u can listen and buy vinyl.


Sounds like Uptown will be a sure visit. I'm going to bring 3 cases of beer with me this spring. My uncle's into beers and I want to show him what's big here in the states, mostly east coast. Will likely leave some with Sacco and Sophia for good karma.

Do you know if the following beers companies have made it over there:
- Other Half (Brooklyn)
- Finback (Queens)
- Kane (New Jersey)
- Magnify (New Jersey)
- Trillium (Boston)
- Tree House (Massachusetts)
- Tire Hands (Philly)


have you checked out what Craft Beers are regularly available here in Shanghai?

Shanghai9
Epermarket
Liquid Solutions Asia

All have a varied selection of Craft Beer for delivery and online stores. I've used Shanghai9 and i regularly shop at Epermarket (mainly for groceries) but i've never used Liquid Solutions Asia who i met at Shanghai's yearly Beer Festival/s.


Brooklyn was common here.

Liquid solutions is an Aussie owned Distributor, Little Creatures, Morningtons xxxx etc like us at Topshelf we are Brewdogs sole distributor for China :o
If the music's too loud then u r too old.
User avatar
Dazza
StreetBeater
StreetBeater
 
Posts: 2231
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:15 pm
Location: In a Pub...


Return to Shanghai Lifestyle

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests