want to know pros cons of 3 compounds

This forum is for chatting about living the good life in Shanghai

want to know pros cons of 3 compounds

Postby cerskine » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:09 pm

First SOME background on the family. my husband and I come of the states,( MI ) We have a daughter who will be turning 2 in NOV. We DO NOT have a driver, I have never lived in a big city, am not afraid to be "local", hesitant, but not afraid. My husband went to University in London, the hustle & bustle no a problem with him. We do not speak Chin. but will be taking lessons. I have never had to speak another lang, my husband has, but thinks this will be difficult for him

My "needs" close to a bilingual kindergarden, easy for taxi/metro (i've never used a subway) Easy Carrfour shopping. Kid friendly. Traffic concerns for husband, he works at 950 Knag Qiao rd, Knag Qiao Industry zone, Pudong, 201315 Work from 7-5, will he be home in time for 6? Most days?? (our little one goes to bed early, and she would just hate it if she only saw him during the weekends)

So, here are my choices, due to certain specs & housing allowance. (pretty low when comparing)

1) Yanlord gardens.
2) Shimao Lakeside garden (jinqiao)
3) Seasons Parkviw (centruy park)

Any and all experiences you have had good/bad, are wanted. If they are friendly, how easy to get things fixed, pool cleanlieness, cleaning theft, etc etc

Thanks all
cerskine
Seeker
Seeker

Postby iniyamalar » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:55 am

hi,

if you have already shortlisted to only these three,i would recommend you to choose yanlord.

I myself live in yanlord.(have two kids 3 and 1 and absolutely in love with the compound)
shimao is good too..it's biig...rooms are bigger than in yanlord.but when coming to facilites like clubhouse and such you have to walk from one lane to other(if you don't happen to live near the clubhouse).very limited playing options for kids unless they are big enough to have their own friends to play with.

as far as outside facilites are concerned,

shimao -closer to babaiban,wet market very close, 20 min drive to carrefour,7-10 min drive to lotus/super brand mall ad so on.

Yanlord-wet market right outside the compound,10 min walk to dongchanglu metro station,10 min walk to babaiban n super brandmall,one kindergarden(chinese but have one hour englishclass) in compound and one right outside(english).
two bilingual kindergardens right around the corner.(most schools and kindergarden have their bus come in side the compound)

activity box (play house)right opposite the compound.

lots and lots of green area and few play parks inside the compund ,few pools(including 2-3 wading pools)quite great for kids.
one indoor play area in the centralised clubhouse has a music class for babies there.
in the evenings if you come out you can see so many moms n dads with lots of kids playing allover..the houses are a little old though..but i wouldn't bother about that considering the pluspoints.if you choose some newly decorated house in here,you wouldn't see the age though.

a definite yes if you have a kid and want to commute through metro for office.

iam sorry i dont know much about seasons pakview.
iniyamalar
Seeker
Seeker

Postby iniyamalar » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:57 am

and oh...shimao and yanlord are just 5 min walk away from each other..

yanlord,summit residences,summit panorama,skyline,shimao all are in one line.
iniyamalar
Seeker
Seeker

Postby cerskine » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:35 am

Thanks so much!! I'm glad to hear I've at least have good choices. WE are looking at the different shimao set. We checked out the ones beside Yanlord, and if we go to that part of town, it will be Yanlord. I'm just a little concened about the hubbys commute tiime. There is a Shimao Lakeside Garden in the Jinqiao area.

Thanks again for all your input!!
cerskine
Seeker
Seeker

Postby iniyamalar » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:45 am

HI..oh yes i didn't see that sorry..shimao lakeside is so beautiful (i love a walk along the lake)and pretty inexpensive comparing to the other.
Well i really felt bad i couldn't move there due to the distance for commute.My hubbie works in lujiazui.There is no metro near shimao lakeside so it became impossible for even consideration.
For you i suppose it would be good.If you have car it would just be great.
closer to carrefour and some wellknown international schools.it's great quite expat community(no noisy hustle bustle anything).
iniyamalar
Seeker
Seeker

Postby choir001 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:55 am

Hey there,

I live in Shimao Lakeside Gardens and love it so far. We have been here almost 2months. There are a ton of kids and dogs here and everyone seems very friendly. I have all repairs/maintenance calls done quickly and have found the compound staff to be very friendly. I have 3 kids, 6, 5 & 4 years old. They attend the SCIS school in Kanqiao and go by bus every morning. The Shanghai Community Center is across the street in Green Hills and I walk there whenever I need anything. I also walk to Carrefour and Green City (Starbucks, Haagan Daz,Blue Frog,Decathlon, etc) and it takes no more than 15 mins. We have 2 Carrefours with in 5 mins ride. Lotus probably takes 10mins by cab.

As far as the facilities go, there are definitely nicer and newer looking ones around. We have not joined the club yet, since the kids are busy with other stuff.

I do not regret moving here at all. We live in a HUGE house - one of those with the big window, and have everything we need. I only wish you could get from one side of the lake to the other without walking all the way around.My kids friends live 2mins from us as the crow flies, but to walk to their house probably takes 3 times that since we have to go around the lake.

Without a driver it might be a little harder since we are not that close to a Metro stop. I catch a taxi for 11rmb (the gate will send one to the house or I walk to the street) and go to either Century Park or the Science & Tech Museum and go from there. They are building a Metro stop of Luoshan Lu, so hopefully that will make it easier once it is completed.

Let me know if you have any other specific questions regarding Shimao. I don't know about the bi-lingual school - sorry.
choir001
Barker
Barker

Postby freedelia » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:49 pm

One comment -- if living in JinQiao, not having a driver/driving a car yourself will make everything very difficult. Except for that i know close to nothing about Pudong. Good luck!
freedelia
LoopKicker
LoopKicker

Postby mmhm » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:46 am

We have no car/driver and live in JinQiao and its NOT a problem. I live within walking distance of Green City. Many of my neighbours bike (kid seats on most bikes!) there are lots of restaurants, markets in walking distance and I cab to the Metro. I don't speak chinese at all except to say "JinQiao Jolleifour", the local way to say Carrefour, and if that doesn't work I have a card for the taxi driver-I call it my "go home" card. Every shop will give you a card so you can always go by taxi. I'm getting a little better at the Metro (not difficult, clean, airconditioned, well-signed, avoid rush hour) but am lazy and the taxi is right there....
mmhm
Raver
Raver

Postby mmhm » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:19 am

We have no car/driver and live in JinQiao and its NOT a problem. I live within walking distance of Green City. Many of my neighbours bike (kid seats on most bikes!). there are lots of restaurants, markets in walking distance and I cab to the Metro. I don't speak chinese at all except to say "JinQiao Jolleifour", the local way to say Carrefour, and if that doesn't work I have a card for the taxi driver-I call it my "go home" card. Every shop will give you a card so you can always go by taxi. I'm getting a little better at the Metro (not difficult, clean, airconditioned, well-signed, avoid rush hour) but am lazy and the taxi is right there....
mmhm
Raver
Raver

Return to Shanghai Lifestyle