what do black people feel in China

Postby SilentAllTheseYears » Sun Jul 04, 2004 12:01 am

I wonder if you have noticed that when most Chinese people are talking about the whites, they use "Wai guo ren" or " Lao wai" to refer them. When they are talking about the black people, they don't use these terms but " Hei ren". I am a Chinese, and I admit that when Chinese are talking about "wai guo ren", what's in their minds are only whites.

In some Chinese people's eyes, Black people don't look good. Some people dare not speak to Black people. I don't know if this is racism but stereotypes do exist in China. I wonder how do the black people here deal with it.

By the way, if anyone has been called "negro" here by Chinese, please don't misunderstand. Chinese people don't mean anything bad. When I was in high school, the English textbooks told us that the English equivalent of "hei ren" is "negro". It was until my American teacher warned us about the use of the word did I realize what a big mistake our textbook made. I don't know if the new version textbook has made any change or not. Most people who use this word don't know the discriminating meaning of it, so please don't feel offended.
I still haven't found what I am looking for...
SilentAllTheseYears

Postby Edgewood » Mon Jul 05, 2004 2:48 pm

Chinese are colour blind. They see the world in shades of profit and racial purity. Black or white is irrelevant.
I thought about how mothers feed their babies with tiny little spoons and forks so I wondered, what do Chinese mothers use? A pair of toothpicks?
Edgewood
Talker
Talker

Postby shanghaibarry » Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:42 am

Just want to relay my experience though not to do with black people. It happened couple years ago in Beijing when I was accompanying a friend of mine happened to be an ethnic Indian from Singapore. Just before I got out of the taxi, the taxi driver told me in Chinese that he things my friend is very dirty, all black people are dirty... i gave him a stare and asked him how he feels if people said all Chinese are stupid... he scolded me for siding with black people but I told him that he should be ashamed of what he commented and he wanted to play the "we are Chinese and shouldn't argue with each other" trick when i had to politely tell him that i an ethnic Chinese Singaporean before he would shut up.

I am sure others would have similar stories to tell.
shanghaibarry
Lurker
Lurker

Postby Wuggi » Fri Jul 16, 2004 12:34 pm

Chinese ppl are color blind? man i dont know what you're talking about. the whole chinese culture revolves around with skin color. eveyrone is trying to get as white as possible and the darker you are, the worse ur treated. the darkies in this country, the ethnic chinese ones are discriminated. the darker you are it means the more you work outside doing hard labour.

white guys are refered to as bai gui and black guys are hei gui, indians are just the brits underdogs. thats the majority chinese opinion. you cant change that over night. But the new youth culture is all about trying to be like black rappers, so go figure.
Wuggi

Postby F-Writers » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:10 pm

Yeah, I really wonder how they handled the "black dirt" during the olympic games.
It's also funny that young chinese girls who dare to date blacks want to stick with them for ever. It's like "Wow! is this what we've been missing?"

It takes generations to change a way of thinking.
F-Writers

Postby GeneralLi » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:02 am

I think people have made a lot of foolish post on this thread. It started with the original poster and went down hill from there. Negro while not used anymore in the States, it was always and still is a proper word, for African Americans. They still have the United Negro College Fund. Baseball Hall of Fame has it's Negro Leauge Division. While I don't think calling someone a Black man is not insulting, it's not the politically correct term. Negro is not the "N" word that people talk about.
Today African American is the proper term for the American Negro/Black Man.

From someone who has played a lot of sports and spent a lot of time in locker rooms. I can tell you it the Great American Myth that all African American men have big dicks. It's like when a guy says size doesn't matter you know he has a small dick.
Some White men can Jump and some Blck men have small dicks.
GeneralLi
Talker
Talker

Postby Kiwi » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:12 pm

GeneralLi wrote: Some White men can Jump and some Blck men have small dicks.

Surely this isn't so?
All for rum, and rum for all!
Kiwi
Fire-eater
Fire-eater

Postby F-Writers » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:55 am

Why must Blacks be associated to "dicks, sex, pimping" all the time? It doesn't make sense. I have seen chinese guys with great dicks. I must say I surprised though :D
F-Writers

Postby bougie » Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:04 am

^ don't forget crack and drive by shootings
When lying, dont be afraid of contradicting yourself later. Lies are not for making people actually believe, they are just for evading a temporarily awkward situation.
bougie
Board Royalty
Board Royalty

Mood: Happy

Postby SnappySammy » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:49 pm

Bougie is it better to jump high or have a big dick?
Never Let Anyone Outside The Family Know What You're Thinking.....
SnappySammy
Board Buddha
Board Buddha

Postby GiveEmOpium » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:03 am

Was in Beijing once, and the cab driver felt the need to give me his opinion on black people.

that he never takes them, because they smell, they are low,. blablabla

wasnt there a directive once that forbade chinese girls to date black guys in china?
i think beijings racism is worse than SHs.

the official statement by the government to racism is btw :"we have no racisem in china" muahahahhahahaaaa
GiveEmOpium
Reacher
Reacher

Postby SnappySammy » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:33 pm

How you going to keep them fcuking Chinese Guys after they Fcuked Bougie...
SnappySammy
Board Buddha
Board Buddha

Postby genghis » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:31 pm

Young Chinese girls, just like all the other expats.
genghis
Raver
Raver

Postby UndrUrSkin » Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:06 am

SnappySammy wrote:Bougie is it better to jump high or have a big dick?

Areodynamicaly speaking, it is difficult to do both due to the drag from the landing gear.
UndrUrSkin
Rocker
Rocker

Postby E8L » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:12 am

Hong Kong people that go abroad don't really like black people. They scared of their guns! They scared they rob them! They scared of their smell too! Maybe its becasue of the International News on how the US and Canada seems to have a shooting every week. And hearing myth stories on how you can just give a gun and US$100 and you can hire anyone to kill a person in Africa. So yeah usually whenever a Hong Kong uni student gets a Black to be his/her roommate they usually demand to change room!

And yeah Hong Kong parents will freak out and get pissed off if you bring back a black lover. Far more pissed off than if you were to tell your parents you're gay! So if you have a black lover and you're gay I assume you are no longer part of the family at all!
E8L
Barker
Barker

Postby cosmoandme » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:26 pm

genghis wrote:

Young Chinese girls, just like all the other expats.

Are really, few are starting to cross over. I've seen some Asian(F)-Black(M) couples. Last one, yesterday Line 2, both were bute and tall!
In Wenzhou, I knew many married-chinese women paying butt-ugly black guys for sex, buying them cars and all. One even got pregnant.
In Guangzhou some Chinese girls crazy about the Africans there... LOL I almost got in trouble just for talking to one.
cosmoandme
Reacher
Reacher

Postby cosmoandme » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:53 pm

E8L wrote:Hong Kong people that go abroad don't really like black people. They scared of their guns! They scared they rob them! They scared of their smell too! Maybe its becasue of the International News on how the US and Canada seems to have a shooting every week. And hearing myth stories on how you can just give a gun and US$100 and you can hire anyone to kill a person in Africa. So yeah usually whenever a Hong Kong uni student gets a Black to be his/her roommate they usually demand to change room!

And yeah Hong Kong parents will freak out and get pissed off if you bring back a black lover. Far more pissed off than if you were to tell your parents you're gay! So if you have a black lover and you're gay I assume you are no longer part of the family at all!

Here we go again…Chinese people not liking blacks is not news to anyone, unless you’ve been reading Beijing news. I do not take it personal because they don’t even like their own people. They talk a lot about how black people are violent. In Quebec or North American for that matter, every time you hear about a man killing his family because he lost his job: white/ Sexual Crimes on elderly women: white. If a black person commits a crime, it’s all over the news. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not complaining, but I’m just trying to explain that black people are portrait as violent individuals. The last person who cut off someone’s head and ate part of his guts and saved his nose and ears for later, on a Greyhound bus in front of about 30 people was Chinese. Look in the crime library, how many serial killers were black? Child molesters? In Quebec, there were Asians Gangs, Red or Black Dragons, and Chinese mafia,Korean Mafia. They killed, gambled and collected money from Chinese businesses but the Chinese community always covered it up so none of that gets to the media, just to save face. So there are crimes and violent individuals among all races. I’m sorry to break the news to you, but many Chinese people have problems integrating outside of China. In other words, they are facing the same kind of rejections as blacks here. So Black people in China should NOT complain; it’s everywhere.
1)How can you compare the crime rate of US to Canada?
2)Hong Kong people you mean ALL HK people? What about those Hip Hop wannabies?
3)Myth stories in African? ($100 in Vietnam and it is Recreational)
4)Are you talking about hit men? It’s $100in Africa, how much in China? A promise to give better grades or a seat at a normal university?
5)HK people freak out… Not if the black person has money or something that they want. I don’t mean to offend Chinese people but I can tell you, and I’m sure many will agree; when it comes to money and opportunities,Chinese people don’t care about your skin color. They FOUGHT in court in South Africa to be recognized as Black! What does that tell you?
The High Court in South Africa has ruled that Chinese South Africans are to be reclassified as black people.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7461099.stm

Back to OP’s question: What do black people feel in China? For me it is a great experience. I’ve learnt to appreciate another culture, language, and the things that I took for granted: freedom, Canadian medical care, clean air, education, voting system, quiet office environment, central heating in the winter, and accept everybody as they are. I’ve also learnt how to be more resourceful, creative, flexible, negotiate, that China has a panoply of cultures, languages, patience-patience, how spoiled we are in Canada complaining about anything and everything without getting a free pass to “heaven”

In conclusion, China is developing and new to the world stage, 5000 years history doesn’t mean anything here, so I do not classify most Chinese people as racists but as uninformed.
cosmoandme
Reacher
Reacher

Postby yleo » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:24 pm

4 years ago, the first time I came to Shanghai, me and 2 of my friends ( lets call them J and K) were walking around yu yuan gardens doing the touristy thing. This gaggle of school girls comes running to us and yell that they want to take a photograph with us in it.

So, we all pose giving our million dollar smiles, but one of the girls starts yelling and wants J out of the picture and only me and K init.... Racism? i think so, especially when you consider that J is white , K is black and I am Indian.

Go figure. I guess you can say that we were a bit of a novelty and seeing a brown guy and black guy was a little too much for them. Oh yeah.. we got lots of stares too. But now, in 2008, no one even turns their head when walk past ( atleast in Pudong)
yleo
Talker
Talker

Postby SnappySammy » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:20 am

My guess is Black people in China feel the same as they do when they are home
SnappySammy
Board Buddha
Board Buddha

Postby bloomark » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:44 pm

lamentated, depressing, but very safe and secured, at least much safer than their motherlands.
Never expect accountable tips from a bitter rum runner.
bloomark
StreetBeater
StreetBeater

Postby bloomark » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:08 pm

Probably they feel like that the Chinese people are far less aggressive than whites, but more introvert and absruse, or even more gutless and recoiled.

On the flip side, Most of the Chinese people think that the Blacks are are much darker in color than they have imagined, and they presume that most of the blacks are way debauched, ruleless and blunt, which conflict with traditional Chinese social value about discipline, loyalty and sacrifice, we have lost most if it and still on the way getting it back though.

That said, I'd be excited as hell when a black hottie was hitting on me. I like their rubber skin full of elasticity and resillience.
bloomark
StreetBeater
StreetBeater

Postby potentiated » Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:31 am

I like black people, but a lot of people don't like them here in Los Angeles. There's a difference between having pre-conceived notions from afar (e.g., growing up in a household where everyone including your parents are saying racist crap) and actually getting to know someone at the individual level where you can really begin to empathize with another human being.
potentiated
Barker
Barker

Postby bloomark » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:29 pm

I've never been to America, let alone L.A., so I'm not sure about situations in America. Most of black people residing in Shanghai are from African countries, not North America or Western Europe, so more or less things will be a little nit different, I guess. Personally, I appreciate black people and I dig them for their hard efforts improving both their national and individual status, and their renowned tribal-featured musics. Some of them are pretty good and very civil, even more than those racists assumed. Asians, whites and blacks, they are all facing color issues and I think that's the very thing we are gonna completely fix. This is a selfish and maglomania-floating world.
bloomark
StreetBeater
StreetBeater

Postby warz » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:23 pm

you know nothing about racism if you have never lived in China.
warz
Reacher
Reacher

Postby E8L » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:00 pm

warz wrote:you know nothing about racism if you have never lived in China.

Why? China has the worst racism or something? I never knew that.
E8L
Barker
Barker

Postby potentiated » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:10 pm

What he means is that China is racially homogeneous and homogeneous regions of the world tend to be extremely racist.
potentiated
Barker
Barker

Postby LostSithDamned » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:02 am

The way I see, anyone can be, or has been a "racist," at some point of their lives. It just depends on your definition of racism. There is the white-supremacy kind, then there is just the cultural misunderstanding kind. Like for example, some black people in America will hate on Asian people, but that's mostly due to "regular conflicts" in a multi-cultural society.

But the more I look at it, these conflicts are demagogues by design, perpetuated by the mass media, hence evincing the concerted efforts by the ruling elites for expansion and repression of control.
LostSithDamned

Postby LostSithDamned » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:03 am

racism goes both ways.
LostSithDamned

Postby potentiated » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:46 pm

Well you can break down "complex" constructs like racism (or consciousness or intelligence or attention, etc) into underlying component constructs such as racial bias. Racial bias can be tested, for example, by showing pictures on a computer monitor and then answering questions at the conscious level (self-report) or using physiological measures at the unconscious level (e.g., skin conductance response, heart rate, brain activity scan).

Sometimes there's a pre-test in which you simply ask the participant how they feel about races listed on a piece of paper. Many times, you can show that what they report consciously (when they report they are not biased against a particular race) is very different from their behavior at the unconscious level.

These results then match well with and can begin to help explain our own anecdotal experiences, such as getting off the freeway on accident in south central LA and immediately panicking when you see about 100% poor black people.

We can then see how racial bias might serve as an underlying component to full-blown racism.
potentiated
Barker
Barker

Re: what do black people feel in China

Postby Havard » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:44 pm

SilentAllTheseYears wrote:By the way, if anyone has been called "negro" here by Chinese, please don't misunderstand. Chinese people don't mean anything bad. When I was in high school, the English textbooks told us that the English equivalent of "hei ren" is "negro". It was until my American teacher warned us about the use of the word did I realize what a big mistake our textbook made. I don't know if the new version textbook has made any change or not. Most people who use this word don't know the discriminating meaning of it, so please don't feel offended.

There has never been an equivilent in Chinese meaning "negro". "Hei Ren" simply means "black person" or "black people".

I would say the word "Hei Ren" has certain sense of discrimination as it differentiate people by color, however, it absolutely does not imply any sense of racism.
Havard
Raver
Raver

Next

Return to Shanghai Open Chat