What to wear at work?

What to wear at work?

Postby Shanghai_scientist » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:23 pm

Hello,

I'm starting an internship in Shanghai at the National Institute for Parasitic Disease next week and I'm at a bit of a loss what to pack! I haven't been to Shanghai before so I'm not sure what would be best to bring, and especially what would be appropriate dress code for work.

Any advice very welcome! Thank you
Shanghai_scientist
Squeeker
Squeeker

Re: What to wear at work?

Postby p1atl10 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:44 pm

In the summertime....make sure whatever you wear is light weight and loose.

What we westerners would describe as "business casual" is always appropriate in an office here
Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.....Dave Barry
p1atl10
Shanghai Royalty
Shanghai Royalty

Postby peterlove2008 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:25 pm

Normally in commercial (office) buildings in Shanghai, most of the companies have dress code: business type (collared shirt and dark trousers). But it varies in different degrees: some require a tie, some accept business casual. When talking about what to pack, I think "collar shirt & dark trousers" will be enough. You can buy what you want in China anyway, it's not expensive.
冲往牛人的路上,不踩刹车!
30+ male in SHG for workdays. Weekends in Zhejiang (1 hour flight away). Crazy!
peterlove2008
Seeker
Seeker

Mood: Happy

Postby Max5i0 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:39 pm

come here and get some suits made thats what i did
Max5i0
Squeeker
Squeeker

Postby Andreas » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:24 pm

It depends a lot which kind of business you are in. In my business, marine repairs, it's all pretty casual. If I would turn up in a full suit in mid summer, while my customers are wearing jeans and casual shirts, I would not look very credible.
In general the business culture as far as dressing is concerned, is a lot less formal here than in HK or Singapore.
‘How inappropriate to call this planet Earth when it is quite clearly Ocean.’
- Sir Arthur C. Clarke
Andreas

Shanghai Royalty
Shanghai Royalty

Postby kst_kk » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:14 am

I'm a Chinese and I don't even know what to wear for my coming internship in SH either! If you are a guy, dress pants and shirt will be fine. BUT for girls, what should we wear in the steamy hot weather, in late August till October? ANY ADVICE?

Business casual? well last time when i was in the SH office, i saw people wearing suits and ties!

Shanghai_scientist wrote:Hello,

I'm starting an internship in Shanghai at the National Institute for Parasitic Disease next week and I'm at a bit of a loss what to pack! I haven't been to Shanghai before so I'm not sure what would be best to bring, and especially what would be appropriate dress code for work.

kst_kk
Reacher
Reacher

Postby miesby » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:19 am

Last summer I worked at a local architecture firm and people dressed fairly casual, and to me it looked quite unprofessional. About half would wear shirts and slacks, but the other half would wear t-shirts and shorts (but a bit nicer than everyday slumming clothes).

Even though it was steaming hot outside, the office was kept quite cool, so I'd wear a dress or tank top and skirt but have a thin overshirt or shrug while in the office. Definitely invest in flowy skirts and cap-sleeved or short-sleeved dresses. Generally for office attire: no shoulders, no cleavage, no thigh.
miesby
Barker
Barker

Postby anter » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:41 am

Well cut trousers, skirts teamed with thin cotton shirts. Have a summer jacket for inside if the office is made cold by the air conditioning. OP if you are working in the centre for Parasitic Disease you might find that you are wearing a lab coat so you are not going to see your clothing, underneath, too much.
Find out if they wear coats, give them out or if you have to bring your own.

If you are staying into winter be prepared for five months of cold weather with three of those months extremely cold. You will need to dress in padded coats, gloves, hat and warmest boots. If you have large shoe size 39 + expect not to find shoes in Shanghai.
anter
Board Lord
Board Lord

Postby haysmoke » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:34 am

when i visited my company's shanghai office last month i came into the office wearing t-shirts and ripped up jeans and everyone gave me funny looks until bossdude told them i was the american transferring and then they fell in love with me.

the women wore sexy business suits i was very attracted to many of the ladies there although it would be nice if they had bigger butts
haysmoke
Barker
Barker

Postby Miss Fugliness » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:03 am

this their website here in Shanghai -

Chinese: http://www.ipd.org.cn/Index.html
English: http://www.ipd.org.cn/English/Index.html

From their homepage, you get to see the clothes of their employees. Very casual. No need to wear clothes like you're ready to walk the runway like most common business office here.
Big Bang Theory Season 5: http://tv.sohu.com/s2010/bigbang/

Sheldon: Amy, with the understanding that nothing changes whatsoever, physical or otherwise..I would not object to us no longer characterizing you as "not my girlfriend"
Miss Fugliness

Sssshhh.....

Wonder Wit
Wonder Wit

Mood: Angry

Postby TIC » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:18 am

Just send their HR a quick email explaining them what you just told us. You're not really sure, never been here blabla. Whats the dress code? Dont worry they will understand.

Better to be overdressed at the first time.

We wear business suits and tie all yaer round. No short sleeves or pants, always always always... I can tell you, I am not looking forward to summer..
Ricky : “Karl, you are the strangest man on the planet.”
Karl: “You haven’t been to China.”
TIC

Shanghai

Fire-eater
Fire-eater

Postby Shanghai_scientist » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:41 pm

Thanks so much everyone, really helpful :-)
Shanghai_scientist
Squeeker
Squeeker

Postby JasUK » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:14 am

Depends if company has dress code, we do in the UK but in Shanghai it appears there is none, if so no one follows it.
JasUK
Rocker
Rocker

Mood: Tired

Postby neverboring » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:52 pm

Shanghai_scientist wrote:Hello,

Hazmat suit?
neverboring
SuperStar
SuperStar

Postby 5avageNach0 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:28 pm

^LOL

Not just for the Institute either... but one could easily use a hazmat suit in everyday Shanghai situations.

But jokes aside, I had some silk shirts and pants (not the shiny crap) made at the fabric market last summer that saved my life (and will surely be doing the same again this year). I'm just happy my office doesn't have a shoe policy... which is why I love my colleague who wears a full suit with orange crocs.
5avageNach0
Barker
Barker

Mood: Tired

Postby Nekta » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:11 pm

kst_kk wrote:I'm a Chinese and I don't even know what to wear for my coming internship in SH either! If you are a guy, dress pants and shirt will be fine. BUT for girls, what should we wear in the steamy hot weather, in late August till October? ANY ADVICE?

Business casual? well last time when i was in the SH office, i saw people wearing suits and ties!

For the hot weather I always choose skirts (pencil skirt etc).
And for the upper body, some nice classic blouses/tops (with good quality, nice and simple cuts) and shirts. Colors is good to keep neutral. Blue, white, beige, black and so on.

In some offices it is not ok for women to show arms so tops would be out of option. In that case go for 3/4 sleeves with your shirts.

Nekta
Reacher
Reacher

Postby TIC » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:29 pm

It doesnt really matter what people wear or prefer, I personally prefer to come in to office wearing flipflops and shorts but if I would, they would fire me and kick me out right away.

Best way to find out is to ask someone at your new office directly, dont worry its normal just like you'd ask what your salary or whatever is going to be.

The fact that some people can wear light clothes, shorts, skirts or whatever in their company doesnt mean it will be ok in yours. Some companies or businesses can be very strict in this.
Ricky : “Karl, you are the strangest man on the planet.”
Karl: “You haven’t been to China.”
TIC

Shanghai

Fire-eater
Fire-eater

Postby quyentu » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:20 pm

wear your pants outside your trousers like superman. you'll be the office golden boy in no time!
quyentu
Lurker
Lurker

Postby shanghaijim » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:20 am

Since I have a home office ....well not much ..I do not work in any office environment and my partner factories are more casual so we wear shorts , tee's and crocs when we are working together . I did visit a patent lawyer in Park Place yesterday and at least wore long pants and a nice Golf Polo .....

It is about the same as in the US Sensible dress for the situation .... many offices are not air conditioned here and the people are sweating their aszz off over the paperwork and computers .....No way I can cut that at any price !
" Welcome to Ride my Crazy Train.........All Aboard ....ha ha ha ha "
shanghaijim
Rocker
Rocker

Mood: Cool

Postby kst_kk » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:31 am

I don't care what they wear, I'm gonna dress nice to work even if I'm not getting paid.
kst_kk
Reacher
Reacher

Postby Snuden » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:36 am

Shorts and teeeeeeshit.
#batardism
Snuden

Rollin'

Shanghai Royalty
Shanghai Royalty

Mood: Cool

Postby FlowerLady7 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:41 pm

I have a question. What are 'slacks'. Is this an American word for trousers??
Last edited by FlowerLady7 on Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
FlowerLady7

Postby anter » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:55 pm

Yes that is correct. Slacks are trousers for woman. The word has been universally abandoned except in some areas of North America where they still wear slacks made of an indestructible fabric named Crimplene.
anter
Board Lord
Board Lord

Postby FlowerLady7 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:07 pm

Ok! Interesting! Thanks!! But I mean, like proper smart trousers or anything thats not jeans, right?
FlowerLady7

Postby kst_kk » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:49 pm

I think dressy dark jeans will be fine. You can dress up in jeans, well, unless it is a very formal occasion.
kst_kk
Reacher
Reacher

Postby Shanghai_scientist » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:49 pm

Just for future reference for anyone looking up this post, it turned out to be very informal - t-shirts and shorts kind of thing - aaaaand then a lab coat to melt away under all day!
Shanghai_scientist
Squeeker
Squeeker

Return to Shanghai Open Chat