where to eat on my first night?

F&B, Groceries and everything in between!

where to eat on my first night?

Postby dance08 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:19 am

hey I get to Shanghai in a weeks time, Im wondering where do you recommend for a first meal? I will be looking for somewhere around the Jing An Metro station. Somewhere where you can eat alone without looking 'a plonker' and not too expensive. Much appreciated
dance08
Seeker
Seeker

Postby Renovator » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:29 am

What kind of food do you want to eat?
Renovator
Veejay
Veejay

Postby redtab1 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:38 am

Plenty of places to eat around there. Do you want Chinese or Western? If you want basic western (burgers, wraps etc) you can try Malone's - it is a pub/bar and you can sit on a bar stool and eat and watch sports on TV so should not feel stupid. It is on Tongren Lu just off Nanjing Lu (about 5 minute walk from your location). Other "safe" first night western options include Element Fresh or California Pizza Kitchen which are both located in the Portman Ritz Calrton Complex on Nanjing Lu (5 minute walk East down Nanjing Lu from the Jing An Metro Station. None of these are that exciting but you will be feed and should not feel intimidated and all are easy to find and a very safe and easy walk. From there you can start to branch out. Good Luck
redtab1
Barker
Barker

Postby CIA » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:03 am

Kabb or The Prime Rib in XTD. 8)
CIA
Rocker
Rocker

Postby seph_07 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:50 am

depends on what food satisfies your buds. jingan area is a commercial area and as the others said, there are wide variety of choices.
seph_07
PopStar
PopStar

Postby yu888 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:52 am

CIA wrote:Kabb or The Prime Rib in XTD. 8)

did XTD suddenly get "close to the Jing An Metro" ?

Some basic cheap safe solo eats walking distance in Jing An area...

New York Style Pizza in the E-mall right next to the station.
CocoCurry House in the mall basement floor other side of the Station
YeeHa (YaoMing's family's place) Western fare place one block from station on corner of YuYuan Rd and HuaShan Rd.
Blue Frog, Malones and The Spot on Tong Ren Rd 2 blocks from station
Big Bamboo on Nan Yang Rd behind the Portman Hotel 2.5 blocks away
Element Fresh, California Pizza Kitchen inside Shanghai Center where the Portman is. (2.5 blocks)
6 years of experiences, good, bad ugly... and survived.

My Blog
yu888
Board Legend
Board Legend

Postby yu888 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:56 am

There are also many Chinese-type places on Yu Yuan Rd behind the Mall near Coffee Bean and Burger King that you can check out...and yes, i suppose you could eat at Burger King too...
6 years of experiences, good, bad ugly... and survived.

My Blog
yu888
Board Legend
Board Legend

Postby Swiss-James » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:01 am

I reckon you should have a look around the restaurants in the basement of the shopping centre which is actually attached to the station.

As soon as you come out of the gates from the metro, there's an entrance to the mall with Shanghai's tiniest escalator. Go up that, and there are 6 or 7 decent restaurants to choose from in that food court.

Or if you want something a bit more adventurous but still cheap and OK for a place to eat alone, there's a nice Chinese place 2 blocks north. Out of exit 3, left at the first junction- Past one street, left up Beijing Road, past the Family Mart and it's on your left.
review here
Swiss-James
Wonder Wit
Wonder Wit

Postby chingiskhan » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:10 am

The Prime Rib is excellent but it's nowhere near Jing An and it's anything but cheap!
chingiskhan
Shanghai Royalty
Shanghai Royalty

Postby Michael » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:33 am

If you like meat.. try Brazil BBQ in the park right next to the metro station on Nanjing Lu. A lot of food for the money. If you like inexpensive local version of Italian that is very cheap but not bad for the price.. there is a Saizeriya Ristorante e Caffe - directly across the street and down a block from the Jing An temple on HuaShan(edited).. north of Nanjing Lu. For chinese street food.. behind Jing An temple .. there is a little street heading north away from the temple -jiaozhou lu. Walk north across Beijing Lu.. the first big intersection and on that street in the next couple blocks there are some street food places that sell all kinds of things, if you want a real local experience.
Michael

Busy Busy-

Mood: Happy

Postby CIA » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:09 pm

chingiskhan wrote:

The Prime Rib is excellent but it's nowhere near Jing An and it's anything but cheap!

What, you can't just take Line 2 to Line 1 to XTD and wah-lah? 8)

Oh yeah, I didn't read the cheap part. I was focused on the MEAT. 8)
CIA
Rocker
Rocker

Postby szwliew » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:18 pm

I 2nd the brazil bbq place (I think its called Brazil steakhouse). The non-meat food is a buffet, which is nice for a single diner IMO.

Also, no reason to feel self concious eating alone here. I would feel that way before, but in SH it seems pretty normal. maybe its because you're jampacked together and nobody will pay attention to you anyways.
szwliew
PopStar
PopStar

Postby Andreas » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:42 pm

Go safe: KFC
‘How inappropriate to call this planet Earth when it is quite clearly Ocean.’
- Sir Arthur C. Clarke
Andreas

Shanghai Royalty
Shanghai Royalty

Mood: Happy

Postby Humac » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:59 pm

Last edited by Humac on Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous, got me?
Humac
Post Boaster

Postby CIA » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:03 pm

I think Andreas means: don't shock your system too fast (unless you're a frequent traveler to China and have all the enzymes and local bacteria built into your system already [ok, well I'm not a biophysicist and that last part was partially serious, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night]).

Here's a hint: avoid eating off the street carts for a while.
CIA
Rocker
Rocker

Postby Humac » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:27 pm

Last edited by Humac on Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Humac
Post Boaster

Postby monalisalee » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:08 pm

I also second the idea of Brazil steak house, just across Nanjing Lu from the Temple. Only prob. I have there is usually the carved meat is still wrigling, and bloody, but plenty of other food anyways. All you can eat for about RMB 60 for lunch, and about 80 for dinner, so not expensive. Usually very busy, which is a good sign, but don't worry there are plenty of expat "plonkers" there. Ha Ha.
Keep your best friends close by, but keep your enemies closer!
monalisalee
Board Royalty
Board Royalty

Postby zimbu » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:55 pm

I would definitely vote for Blue Frog on Tong Ren Road, near Yan An Road. Pretty good food, Sam Adams beer, and a nice bar to sit at and watch sports on good size flat screens. Very unplonkerish.
zimbu

On the way...

Reacher
Reacher

Postby SnappySammy » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:11 pm

Andreas wrote:Go safe: KFC

I think the first night you should eat in your hotel or any nice Hotel. You can get a combination of Eastern and Western food. You can get silverware and also chop sticks.
My first night Iare in a Local place in GZ and had chicken feet, snake, fish skin, and egg embryo... I don'T think that's a good first look at the food. It's more then 20 years and I still get nightmares
SnappySammy
Board Buddha
Board Buddha

Postby SnappySammy » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:14 pm

monalisalee wrote:I also second the idea of Brazil steak house, just across Nanjing Lu from the Temple.

No YOU Thirded It not seconded
SnappySammy
Board Buddha
Board Buddha

Postby monalisalee » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:23 pm

No Snappy, I said ALSO seconded, which is the same thing as thirding it. Is "thirded" a word.?, or "thirding"?. Don't think so!.
Keep your best friends close by, but keep your enemies closer!
monalisalee
Board Royalty
Board Royalty

Postby dance08 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:14 am

Hey guys thanks for the posts, reading through is making me feel hungry!!! I will decide when I get there. Im not bad with food - will try anything (within reason) once! If i have a box of immodium handy though! Will probably try the Brazil BBQ that sounds fit! So where would you go for a few beers after that?
dance08
Seeker
Seeker

Postby SnappySammy » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:50 am

monalisalee wrote:No Snappy, I said ALSO seconded, which is the same thing as thirding it. Is "thirded" a word.?, or "thirding"?. Don't think so!.

On this forum you need to sometimes make a word up once in while.

I don't think you can also second. may be you can be first runner up or runner up
Remember a tie goes to the runner
SnappySammy
Board Buddha
Board Buddha

Postby SnappySammy » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:53 am

yu888 wrote:There are also many Chinese-type places on Yu Yuan Rd behind the Mall near Coffee Bean and Burger King that you can check out...and yes, i suppose you could eat at Burger King too...

there are many Chinese places in China. wherever I go there I am
SnappySammy
Board Buddha
Board Buddha

Return to Food & Drink