Who celebrate Thanksgiving day?

Who celebrate Thanksgiving day?

Postby Georgia Harvey » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:16 pm

I know that Thanksgiving day is important festival for American.
Do other people also celebrate this day?
What do they often do?
Thanks!
How to study Chinese? faster, better, less cost?
www.snmandarin.com
Georgia Harvey
Barker
Barker

Mood: Happy
Location: Room 803, No.1, Lane 100, E. Tiyuhui Rd, Hongkou District, Shanghai, China 200081

Re: Who celebrate Thanksgiving day?

Postby fWerrF » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:29 pm

Canada celebrate it too, but it's on a different day than USA Thxgiving.

I personally don't care for it, I don't even like turkey at all, but typically it's a family gathering day so it's pretty important holiday.
fWerrF
Wonder Wit
Wonder Wit

Postby Georgia Harvey » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:16 pm

Thanks fWerrF!

My friends also told me about their dislike of turkey. The family gathering is most important.
How to study Chinese? faster, better, less cost?
www.snmandarin.com
Georgia Harvey
Barker
Barker

Mood: Happy
Location: Room 803, No.1, Lane 100, E. Tiyuhui Rd, Hongkou District, Shanghai, China 200081

Postby SnappySammy » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:23 am

Canadian Thanksgiving is not the same a US Thanksgiving.

In Canada their thanksgiving was simply to give thanks for the HARVEST....It's in Early Oct, because of the colder climate the harvest is earlier, then in the US.....US Thanksgiving is in late Nov, and while it celebrates, the harvest, it also involves the Pilgrims and the native Americans. The Canadian Thanksgiving was brought to Canada by European Farmers....

In Defense of the Turkey...If prepared properly it is very tasty....the stuffing, both bread and meat is "the best thing ever invented" In the US it is the best food day of the year.....BAR NONE......

Being Born in The US of European/Canadian Parents,I have a lot of experience with both Thanksgivings.....It is a VERY BIG DEAL in USA and not such a big deal in Canada.....Both countries are big on Pumpkin Pie...
Never Let Anyone Outside The Family Know What You're Thinking.....
SnappySammy
Board Buddha
Board Buddha

Postby rickettyrabbit » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:00 pm

^ Succinct and accurate summary, Sammy.

Canadians sometimes marvel at how Thanksgiving seems to be a bigger deal there than Christmas since Americans get two days off work at Thanksgiving and only one at Christmas. In Canada, it's the opposite, and Christmas is by far the bigger celebration. Of course, Canadians don't have "black Friday", so what do you expect?
Wabbit
"So many words simply to state what we already knew!"
Foxfyr
rickettyrabbit

rickettyrabbit

Board Legend
Board Legend

Mood: Cool
Location: Chinese-free zone. No, wait - just looked at the wife.

Postby dsugg » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:41 pm

I have always been envious of the Americans for this one. Not only is it a major deal - 4 day weekend, none stop football on t.v., super shopping if you are into that - it is also an official launch of the over indulgence season that lasts through new years day. No wonder Americans are a little larger than everyone else.
dsugg
PopStar
PopStar

Postby jrsnick » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:21 pm

rickettyrabbit wrote:
Canadians sometimes marvel at how Thanksgiving seems to be a bigger deal there than Christmas since Americans get two days off work at Thanksgiving and only one at Christmas. In Canada, it's the opposite, and Christmas is by far the bigger celebration. Of course, Canadians don't have "black Friday", so what do you expect?

But that is not so. Many Companies do not give off the Friday after Thanksgiving. Many people take vacation time on that day. So they have four days fro Family, football and shopping. Many more people take off the days between Christmas and New Years as vacation days because this is a much bigger time celebration.
jrsnick
Barker
Barker

Postby miesby » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:02 pm

Thanksgiving is important, but it still pales in comparison to Christmas. After all, schools are scheduled to allow students at least a week (up to a month) off for Christmas/New Year's.

And about turkey ... deep-fried and smothered in gravy cannot be beat. With a side of mashed potatoes and pecan pie for dessert, oh goodness gracious yes.
miesby
Barker
Barker

Postby SnappySammy » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:27 am

dsugg wrote:I have always been envious of the Americans for this one. . No wonder Americans are a little larger than everyone else.

I guess woman do kiss and tell.... :roll: :roll:
SnappySammy
Board Buddha
Board Buddha

Postby fWerrF » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:31 am

I think I am actually flying back to Shanghai on Thxgiving day, I guess there is a 1st for everything ...
fWerrF
Wonder Wit
Wonder Wit

Postby Klick » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:32 am

miesby wrote:Thanksgiving is important, but it still pales in comparison to Christmas.

I don't know, I think it varies family to family. I much prefer Thanksgiving to Christmas. We are not religious, and Thanksgiving is a bigger deal for us in general. In my extended family, we will definitely go to much more effort to get together for Thanksgiving. Christmas is fun, but it doesn't have much meaning for me, and also I imagine to the millions of Americans who aren't, you know, Christian, and/or from a Western tradition. Thanksgiving can be celebrated by anyone, because it doesn't matter what faith tradition you come from, or if you don't come from one at all, pretty much everyone can get on with the idea that it's not a bad idea to have at least this one big day a year to feast with friends and family, and to be grateful to be so lucky as to do so.
Cack, my blog is buggered.
Klick
Wonder Wit
Wonder Wit

Postby SnappySammy » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:42 am

Klickie...You're nuts on.....For Me Thanksgiving is way bigger then Christmas...(I'm Jewish) but thats not really the reason.....It's the only US Holiday that most Folks get four days off every year.....I always get ny whole family together......The second best day if the year is the wed. before Thanksgiving, when they all come......Picking them up at the Airport (All Five) is great......The only day better, is the following Sunday, when they all leave.....

BTW.......Turkey is the greatest food in the world...If you eat it only once a year....
SnappySammy
Board Buddha
Board Buddha

Postby miesby » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:37 am

Klick wrote:Christmas is fun, but it doesn't have much meaning for me, and also I imagine to the millions of Americans who aren't, you know, Christian, and/or from a Western tradition.

Funnily enough, my family is Chinese. And we're all atheists. So Christmas doesn't have any religious meaning and sometimes we don't even give gifts. We make more of an effort at Christmas because it's easier to get time off. And since most of my extended family is pretty darned Chinese, they don't care much about Thanksgiving.
miesby
Barker
Barker

Postby SnappySammy » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:57 am

You have a funny Chinese Family......Do they live in USA or China.....
SnappySammy
Board Buddha
Board Buddha

Postby miesby » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:16 pm

SnappySammy wrote:You have a funny Chinese Family......Do they live in USA or China.....

About a third are in the US, a third in China, and the other third travels back and forth. And yes, my family is very weird. For Christmas my mom cooks duck because everyone likes duck. For Thanksgiving she cooks turkey because I love it.
miesby
Barker
Barker

Postby Klick » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:27 pm

miesby wrote:Funnily enough, my family is Chinese. And we're all atheists. So Christmas doesn't have any religious meaning and sometimes we don't even give gifts. We make more of an effort at Christmas because it's easier to get time off. And since most of my extended family is pretty darned Chinese, they don't care much about Thanksgiving.

Fair enough, what's true for your family is true for your family and hey, more power to y'all. But your first comment was (I thought) more of a general statement about the two holidays - in other words, it seemed to me that you were saying that Thanksgiving 'pales in comparison' to Christmas for pretty much everyone, and I just don't think that's the case at all.
Cack, my blog is buggered.
Klick
Wonder Wit
Wonder Wit

Postby miesby » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:02 pm

^ True true. It'd be reckless to make a really general statement about how holidays are celebrated because America's so diverse. That's what makes us spiffy.

BTW Klick, I love it when others say/type y'all (or as I do - ya'll). It makes me feel more at home. :)
miesby
Barker
Barker

Postby dsugg » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:12 pm

SnappySammy wrote:
dsugg wrote:I have always been envious of the Americans for this one. . No wonder Americans are a little larger than everyone else.

I guess woman do kiss and tell.... :roll: :roll:

too bad you're half Canadian
dsugg
PopStar
PopStar

Postby SnappySammy » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:19 am

I'm all American....born and raised.....My parents were Canadians....and everyone in my family(except me) were Canadians........I'm a real live nephew of my Uncle Sam, born in American....
SnappySammy
Board Buddha
Board Buddha

Postby dsugg » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:03 pm

Ah - Sammy - from your posts we all know you are a man of the world. Surely your size has been influenced by all your years in Asia. Maybe this is why they say 'you can never go home again'
dsugg
PopStar
PopStar

Return to Shanghai Open Chat