Why do Chinese people laugh at large people (fat)

F&B, Groceries and everything in between!

Postby LadyofLeisure » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:48 am

So the moral of this thread is.....
LadyofLeisure
Veejay
Veejay

Postby blondesands » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:00 pm

... we're all fat? :P :wink:
blondesands

And...she's back...

Low Seater
Low Seater

Mood: Cool

Postby LadyofLeisure » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:10 pm

with un-flat rears..... :wink:
LadyofLeisure
Veejay
Veejay

Re: Why do Chinese people laugh at large people (fat)

Postby victorinchina » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:19 pm

Andreas wrote:We used to make these T-shirts with on it: 'You laugh because we are different, we laugh because you're all the same.'

:lol: :lol: I got to get me one of those...
victorinchina

Git!

Board Viking

Postby Andreas » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:31 pm

victorinchina wrote:
Andreas wrote:We used to make these T-shirts with on it: 'You laugh because we are different, we laugh because you're all the same.'

:lol: :lol: I got to get me one of those...

Check this T-shirt out LOL:
http://www.printfection.com/MyLaowai/Ba ... _p_4792620
‘How inappropriate to call this planet Earth when it is quite clearly Ocean.’
- Sir Arthur C. Clarke
Andreas

Shanghai Royalty
Shanghai Royalty

Mood: Happy

Postby victorinchina » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:37 pm

^ :lol:

there are some good one's..
findus: "We can create, philosophize, build and conquer until the cows come home, but a good set of boobs (i.e. all boobs) makes men's world go around. Such fcuking simple beasts."
victorinchina

Git!

Board Viking

Postby catur » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:47 pm

Klick wrote:Well as someone who is actually fat (a bit, not outrageously, but with extra padding, for sure), I've rarely had anything said to me, but one the occasions someone has I tell them it is because all of the lovely Chinese food is so delicious and I cannot stop eating dumplings. Which they seem to think is a hilarious but wonderful answer, as then suddenly they are my new best friends and keep patting my arms (what's with that?) and want to talk to me all about things they like to eat and tell me where to buy 'the best' dumplings.

While your answer is great is some ways...not sure I'd want all that attention afterwards. I think I'll stick with my normal "go fook yourself!" answer. :)
catur
Rocker
Rocker

Postby crivens200 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:59 pm

LadyofLeisure wrote:So the moral of this thread is.....

Chinese are stupid. Laowai's have big noses. Western women are minging. Chinese women are slags. Waga's is overpriced. Tiger beer in Malones tastes like metal. Stop spitting. Don't go with a tea girl on Nanjing Lu. The DVD shops are closed for Expo. The air here is really polluted. Guinness is expensive in China.

And on top of this they don't let you off the subway before they start piling on.
crivens200
Low Seater
Low Seater

Postby dsugg » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:05 pm

crivens200 wrote:
LadyofLeisure wrote:So the moral of this thread is.....

Chinese are stupid. Laowai's have big noses. Western women are minging. Chinese women are slags. Waga's is overpriced. Tiger beer in Malones tastes like metal. Stop spitting. Don't go with a tea girl on Nanjing Lu. The DVD shops are closed for Expo. The air here is really polluted. Guinness is expensive in China.

And on top of this they don't let you off the subway before they start piling on.

You just rendered this website obsolete in one post
dsugg
PopStar
PopStar

Postby dsugg » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:07 pm

condesa wrote:
Trevorfurner wrote:I would just like to ask does anyone know why Chinese people laugh and say some people are fat when in fact they are not. My reason for asking this is that i have had many Chinese people say to me that im fat when in fact i am not. I am 187 cm tall in height about 6ft 3 inch and i am quite solid in size. I previously played rugby so my size is quite stocky. I find it hillarious that they say this to me because i do still keep myself in shape and exercise alot. Do they say this to me because they are all skinny or is it because they trully don't understand that some foreigners are quite big in size compared to a chinese person.

Short answer, cause they are STUPID and IGNORANT !!!!.
One of my girlfriends who is petit (In height I will say no more than 5'-4")and super super skinny has been told multiple times by Chinese people that she needs clothes size extra large, when in fact she wears either size 0 or 00 in US sizes.
Chinese people like to think they are better at everything :lol:.
As a woman, and in the name of many other women that are going to agree with me: Chinese men midget size with limpy, skinny bodies and sparrow legs (and oily hair) ARE NOT attractive AT ALL, trust me on that one.
So next time they tell you that you are fat: tell them to f0ck off or better use your rugbier shoulders to make them fly like you were playing a game.

Chill Out friend :)

Hahaha - the irony on the last sentence following that silly tirade :D I think you and Carlon69 need to get laid before you kill someone
dsugg
PopStar
PopStar

Postby paulinshanghai » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:45 pm

Its used as a term of endearment. You should be flattered. Or fattered :)
paulinshanghai
Raver
Raver

Postby carlon78 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:02 pm

HiBeverly wrote:People laugh/jeer at fat people everywhere in the world, not just China.

That said, I think sometimes here they confuse 'big and tall' with 'fat'. You look average to me, not a jiggly wobbly mass of lard.

And don't forget the "average size" in their mind is a LOT smaller than in Western countries. I used to feel teeny-tiny in Australia (and was constantly told that) but feel medium-to-large here in Shanghai (and have been told my hips/bum are too large for their clothes)..

Bev, you are super-petite. Do you really feel big here? I see plenty of local girls who are bigger than you.

Most of the Western girls and women I see here are overweight, especially around the ass. I am a Western girl myself, and I live in constant fear of developing a laowai ass.
carlon78
Rocker
Rocker

Postby bleepingbleeper » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:29 pm

do not fear ass. most of us search far and wide for laowai ass. wait that didn't sound...you know what i mean.

flat asses are a travesty.
bleepingbleeper
Veejay
Veejay

Postby carlon78 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:51 pm

bleepingbleeper wrote:do not fear ass. most of us search far and wide for laowai ass. wait that didn't sound...you know what i mean.

flat asses are a travesty.

I went to a salsa bar here which was full of Latino chaps. For an hour there, I remembered how it felt to be admired.
carlon78
Rocker
Rocker

Postby HiBeverly » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:58 pm

carlon78 wrote:Bev, you are super-petite. Do you really feel big here? I see plenty of local girls who are bigger than you.

Most of the Western girls and women I see here are overweight, especially around the ass. I am a Western girl myself, and I live in constant fear of developing a laowai ass.

I don't feel like a massive fatass in China, but I certainly feel "medium sized". Let's just say I no longer get exclamations of "ooooh you're so slim!" anymore like I used to get in Australia, and when I bought swimwear, I was a Large (argh).

There are very slim local girls though, but don't even get me started on the Japanese girls - now THOSE chicks are smokin' hot!
HiBeverly
LoopKicker
LoopKicker

Postby SnappySammy » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:32 am

Klick wrote:Well as someone who is actually fat (a bit, not outrageously, but with extra padding, for sure), I've rarely had anything said to me, but one the occasions someone has I tell them it is because all of the lovely Chinese food is so delicious and I cannot stop eating dumplings. Which they seem to think is a hilarious but wonderful answer, as then suddenly they are my new best friends and keep patting my arms (what's with that?) and want to talk to me all about things they like to eat and tell me where to buy 'the best' dumplings.

So looks like You are Fat and Happy.... :lol:

I don't think when a person is fat they say anything...When a person is BIG they say FAT...and they are being complimentary
SnappySammy
Board Buddha
Board Buddha

Postby Klick » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:42 am

SnappySammy wrote:
So looks like You are Fat and Happy.... :lol:

Well to be honest I would be happy to be less fat, but only if it can magically happen without me having to do anything or change my lifestyle in any way. :P
Klick
Wonder Wit
Wonder Wit

Postby CoffeeHawk_0 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:56 pm

CoffeeHawk_0
Board Deity

Postby SnappySammy » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:19 am

I think the one on the left is Klick when he was young.....Not sure who the other one is......
Never Let Anyone Outside The Family Know What You're Thinking.....
SnappySammy
Board Buddha
Board Buddha

Postby ziccawei » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:05 am

At dinner the other week, me the only white-man amongst a crowd of locals, I was told I was fat by a giggling-like-a-12-year-old-girl 'man'. I replied that he was ugly, stupid and gay. End of conversation.

:mrgreen:
Space is the Place.
ziccawei
Shanghai Royalty
Shanghai Royalty

Postby jay_dee » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:17 am

Suggest you re-read "How to Win Friends and Influence People".
jay_dee
Post Roaster
Post Roaster

Mood: Angry

Postby victorinchina » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:18 am

ziccawei wrote:At dinner the other week, me the only white-man amongst a crowd of locals, I was told I was fat by a giggling-like-a-12-year-old-girl 'man'. I replied that he was ugly, stupid and gay. End of conversation.

:mrgreen:

KS?
findus: "We can create, philosophize, build and conquer until the cows come home, but a good set of boobs (i.e. all boobs) makes men's world go around. Such fcuking simple beasts."
victorinchina

Git!

Board Viking

Postby Klick » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:11 pm

SnappySammy wrote:I think the one on the left is Klick when he was young.....Not sure who the other one is......

I ain't a guy, dumbass.
Cack, my blog is buggered.
Klick
Wonder Wit
Wonder Wit

Postby Romeolo888 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:19 pm

i ahvent seen your photo, but don't listen to chinese people, they are just skinny little runts who seldom to be like the westerners with american accents.

just laugh back at them and then they will stfu.
I'm a winner
Romeolo888
LoopKicker
LoopKicker

Postby SnappySammy » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:36 am

Klick wrote:
SnappySammy wrote:I think the one on the left is Klick when he was young.....Not sure who the other one is......

I ain't a guy, dumbass.

Dumbass???? why all the anger.....So you're a woman...good now I know I can kick your Butt
Never Let Anyone Outside The Family Know What You're Thinking.....
SnappySammy
Board Buddha
Board Buddha

Re:

Postby Medea » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:18 pm

philipp_v wrote:last time i went out with a friend and a japanese girl. next day we met again and she meant that she will bring a date for me and she said that the girl is chubby, if i like that;)
when we went out the next day i saw that girl and she was not fat at all! in europe she would be told to be thin.
so, dont take it too serious, they are just used to thin people

Everytime when I return home, I need several weeks to "adjust" my concept of fat and thin again.

Being used to see skinny Chinese women everywhere I suddenly think: wow so many really fat women :shock:

So in Shanghai I always think I'm too fat :( while in Europe I'm feeling like a supermodel :lol:
I support Jaiya's Animal Rescue (JAR) Next JAR Animal Adoption Day is on Sunday, November 2
Medea
Fire-eater
Fire-eater

Postby Klick » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:20 pm

SnappySammy wrote:
Dumbass???? why all the anger.....So you're a woman...good now I know I can kick your Butt

That wasn't anger, just mild bemusement.

You can try to kick my ass, but just be careful - I might sit on you. I'm a fat broad, remember.
Cack, my blog is buggered.
Klick
Wonder Wit
Wonder Wit

Postby jay_dee » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:16 am

Sammy loves lap dances, esp. if they're free.
jay_dee
Post Roaster
Post Roaster

Mood: Angry

Re: Re:

Postby tihZ_hO » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:19 pm

Medea wrote:
philipp_v wrote:last time i went out with a friend and a japanese girl. next day we met again and she meant that she will bring a date for me and she said that the girl is chubby, if i like that;)
when we went out the next day i saw that girl and she was not fat at all! in europe she would be told to be thin.
so, dont take it too serious, they are just used to thin people

Everytime when I return home, I need several weeks to "adjust" my concept of fat and thin again.

Being used to see skinny Chinese women everywhere I suddenly think: wow so many really fat women :shock:

So in Shanghai I always think I'm too fat :( while in Europe I'm feeling like a supermodel :lol:

That's funny and true. Chinese (Asians) are smaller in bone structure but really aren't that skinny. Its just you (and I) are used to seeing FAT people and given the larger bone structure it makes for a larger contrast.

Fat is fat, its society that either accepts it or not.

You know who you are
tihZ_hO

happy

Board Deity

PreviousNext

Return to Food & Drink