Why does Starbucks coffee taste so bad here?

Why does Starbucks coffee taste so bad here?

Postby solohobo » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:11 am

I am not a big Starbucks fan in the states, but I can enjoy a coffee easily, but here, its taste very acid like, almost a weird hard metal flavor. Same in Bangkok a few years ago. But the coffee at the little bakeries and stuff is great. Even 85* aint that bad compared to Starbucks...

Thoughts?
Adventure travel to Burma, Thailand, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Morocco, Italy, France and USA National Parks.
solohobo
Raver
Raver

Mood: Cool

Re: Why does Starbucks coffee taste so bad here?

Postby Mr Gilbert » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:15 am

None at all
When this is over, all hell’s gonna break loose.
Mr Gilbert
LoopKicker
LoopKicker

Mood: Angry

Postby Gay_Chevara » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:17 am

Probably the water they use.

I never drink coffee - it tastes disgusting and it makes peoples breath stink like dog poo.
To Live and Die in Xujiahui
Gay_Chevara
LaoLoser

Postby florentina » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:43 am

Never did like Starbucks whatever country I'm in. Given the choice between nearby Wagas and Starbucks I'd go for Wagas anytime.
florentina
Raver
Raver

Mood: Happy

Postby JasUK » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:49 am

It likely the water, I use mineral water at home for my cuppa and tastes nice in my office they have mineral added water and tea tastes foul.
JasUK
Rocker
Rocker

Mood: Tired

Postby tylerdurden » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:03 am

The answer is very simple. Starbucks' coffee tastes like shite here because it tastes like shite everywhere in the world.

Their business model is to monopolise the best coffee bean suppliers in the world, then deliberately over-roast the beans so that they always taste the same: burnt.

This allows them to maintain the same depressingly low taste consistency across their entire outlet chain, as well as restricting their competitors' access to high-quality beans.
"yea shanghai is a sh*thole but a massive sprawling epic clusterf*ck of a sh*thole that is fun while it lasts.." (ultimatekrang)
tylerdurden

Ground Zero

Board Royalty
Board Royalty

Postby sambista » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:46 am

true story:

two guys owned peet's coffee in berkeley, california. one guy wanted to remain small to preserve the roasting quality and resisted expanding for a long time. the other guy wanted to be all over the planet. they parted company, and the guy who stayed as peet's coffee & tea (alfred peet of the netherlands, who died in 2007) still held back on expansion, very slowly opening more stores in the east bay, then into san francisco. finally down to l.a., and even now you can find just a handful of peet's stores around the country, though some grocery stores (whole foods included) carry peet's and you can order by mail. gourmet magazines sing peet's praises, and to this day peet's mail-order will not even roast the coffee until you order it. they don't have a roastmaster who hasn't been doing it for 10 years. (when you look at peet's beans, you can see the oil covering them, and floating on top of the brew, as it should be.)

guess what the other guy did? he went to seattle and started starbucks. guess what else? for the first year of operation as starbucks, he was ordering his beans from peet's!

each got what they wanted, and you can see the results in their products.

my advice: get someone to ship you peet's from the u.s., and use bottled water to brew it.

as for starbucks here, i blame 1) the water, and 2) the usually crappy inconsistency in bean roasting, which can only be worse here.
'The universe is full of magical things, patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper.' - Eden Phillpotts
sambista
LoopKicker
LoopKicker

Postby NorthernLights » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:48 am

Tyler nailed it.

All starbucks is shyte, worldwide.

Wagas are quite good at making a decent coffee. It annoys the hell out of me when it arrives in a glass though... Why the hell can't they use cups like the rest of the civilized world? It's not cool, it's not trendy, and it burns my hand.

WAKE UP WAGAS!
NorthernLights
StreetBeater
StreetBeater

Postby JasUK » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:08 pm

Starbucks is cr@p, caffe latte just taste of waterd down milk bearly taste any coffee.

I buy the Blendy coffee sticks in Japan and throw couple packs in suitcase when on travels. The local Nescafe 1+2 is awfully sweet.
Attachments
dsc01208.jpg
dsc01208.jpg (22.69 KiB) Viewed 1626 times
JasUK
Rocker
Rocker

Postby Zefx » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:13 pm

hate me but i do like their Fraps.. but then again that aint real coffee =)
BHL>Tourist>Sex-tourist>Student>Lurker>Poster>Teacher>Grouch...
Zefx
Raver
Raver

Postby jonasei » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:45 pm

Its true that Starbucks coffee consistently tastes worse here than in the states. The reason might be the water, as suggested above, but I'm inclined to think its because they don't wash the machines every night. A friend who formerly worked at SB told me that the worst part of the job was cleaning the machines every night because they smelled so nasty. And that was at the end of only one day. Miss a few days or a week and I suspect the result is what we are getting over here.
jonasei
Raver
Raver

Postby solohobo » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:01 pm

Yea we have a simple Philips coffee maker with a mesh easy clean filter, and buy coffee at various places and it tastes great using the mineral water we have delivered. I only drink it a few days per week, prefer tea now, better for my stomach and sinuses...

I love the coffee in Italy...mmmmm
Adventure travel to Burma, Thailand, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Morocco, Italy, France and USA National Parks.
solohobo
Raver
Raver

Mood: Cool

Postby prego2000 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:18 pm

I've had SB for years, since I didn't really know any better. But for about a month I was drinking this Indonesian coffee I bought at Rumors. Then I didn't feel like going all the way to their shop again when I ran out so I bought a bag of $tarbucks. Yuck. Even just smelling the bag I could tell it was far inferior to the Rumors coffee.
#PVG->oneway-to-anywhere
prego2000
StreetBeater
StreetBeater

Postby sambista » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:26 pm

prego2000 wrote:I've had SB for years, since I didn't really know any better. But for about a month I was drinking this Indonesian coffee I bought at Rumors. Then I didn't feel like going all the way to their shop again when I ran out so I bought a bag of $tarbucks. Yuck. Even just smelling the bag I could tell it was far inferior to the Rumors coffee.

i think you were the one who posted about rumors. someone asked the price, but i don't remember you saying. ???
'The universe is full of magical things, patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper.' - Eden Phillpotts
sambista
LoopKicker
LoopKicker

Postby operadave » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:45 pm

Not sure if it's true, but I met someone who is a regional manager of Starbucks and they told me that across the franchise they use a mixture of 50% 'Starbucks' coffee, and 50% cheap beans. Apparently they weren't making enough profit!
operadave
Lurker
Lurker

Postby KopyKatKiller » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:57 pm

^^I doubt that. SB is cheaper in Canada than here, but still tastes burnt.

I like Costa coffee better than SB, but they don't sell brewed coffee, just Americano 's. So I go to SB sometimes.

I agree with the OP, SB is worse here, but it's only mediocre at best elsewhere.

What I really miss is having a cup of Timmy's from time to time!
KalanStar is Sinolicious!
KopyKatKiller
Post Boaster

Postby Mr Gilbert » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:18 pm

NorthernLights wrote:Tyler nailed it.

All starbucks is shyte, worldwide.

Wagas are quite good at making a decent coffee. It annoys the hell out of me when it arrives in a glass though... Why the hell can't they use cups like the rest of the civilized world? It's not cool, it's not trendy, and it burns my hand.

WAKE UP WAGAS!

The girl in charge is drooling on gel at The Apartment
Mr Gilbert
LoopKicker
LoopKicker

Postby prego2000 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:18 pm

sambista wrote:
prego2000 wrote:I've had SB for years, since I didn't really know any better. But for about a month I was drinking this Indonesian coffee I bought at Rumors. Then I didn't feel like going all the way to their shop again when I ran out so I bought a bag of $tarbucks. Yuck. Even just smelling the bag I could tell it was far inferior to the Rumors coffee.

i think you were the one who posted about rumors. someone asked the price, but i don't remember you saying. ???

The stuff I got was 130rmb for (I think) 200g. The Starbucks is 85rmb for 250g. So, about twice as expensive, and that was one of their lower priced coffees. But dang, it yummy.

As for the OP, I hadn't noticed that SB tastes any different here. But even back home I always thought the brewed coffee in the shop tasted like day-old battery acid compared to buying the beans and making it at home.
#PVG->oneway-to-anywhere
prego2000
StreetBeater
StreetBeater

Postby sambista » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:48 pm

prego2000 wrote:
sambista wrote:

The stuff I got was 130rmb for (I think) 200g. The Starbucks is 85rmb for 250g. So, about twice as expensive, and that was one of their lower priced coffees. But dang, it yummy.

wow. that is pricey. i'll have to try a cup of this magic brew.
sambista
LoopKicker
LoopKicker

Postby NorthernLights » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:53 pm

I got my coffee beans at Arabica Roasters for a while, they roast and deliver. They're normally pretty good, but if you order something more expensive like Kenyan they'll only roast when they have a certain amount of orders for it. So I have on occasion been waiting for over a week for my coffee order to arrive.

It's not too bad now, but when I was a total coffee addict it made me a sad bunny. Making the switch from Arabica Kenya AA to Starbucks <insert any bean name here... they all taste like ****> to get through those few days was tough.
NorthernLights
StreetBeater
StreetBeater

Postby Chavster » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:39 pm

Buy Truhng Nguyen. It's available in Shanghai and is the most consistently excellent coffee you can buy. Not cheap, but top-notch.
" Once, it was I who stood in the big, cold schoolroom, a hot crumpet burning my cheeks with shame. Since that day, I have been busy every hour God sent, working to become Prime Minister and fight sloth and privilege wherever I found it."

- Pitt the Younger
Chavster
Low Seater
Low Seater

Postby kst_kk » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:44 pm

Honestly Starbucks coffee isn't my fav but I buy it anyway sometimes. Grean Tea Latte is my go-to drink. As for coffee, I miss Timmy's double double fo shore.
kst_kk
Reacher
Reacher

Postby Mr Gilbert » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:51 pm

Timmy's double double fo shore

Is that a Coffee?
Mr Gilbert
LoopKicker
LoopKicker

Postby kst_kk » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:01 pm

well to me, it is.
kst_kk
Reacher
Reacher

Postby anter » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:23 pm

The milk is horrible and make all coffee taste tainted with paint.
I agree with other posters that I've never had a good cup of coffee in any Starbucks anywhere. I prefer their blended Matcha drink, which has some strange textural hold over me.
anter
Board Lord
Board Lord

Postby chingiskhan » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:50 pm

Yes Starbucks is not good anywhere. Why do you think there isn't any Starbucks in Italy, the nation that invented espresso? In London I once asked for an espresso machiato and the guy had no idea what it was! But he works in a coffee shop!
chingiskhan
Shanghai Royalty
Shanghai Royalty

Postby Gay_Chevara » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:19 pm

Oh my god, Chingis!! How outrageous! Did you slap him?
To Live and Die in Xujiahui
Gay_Chevara
LaoLoser

Postby chingiskhan » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:18 pm

Gay_Chevara wrote:Oh my god, Chingis!! How outrageous! Did you slap him?

I did much more than that. Slapping him would have been to mild a response. I rolled my eyes at him. That's a lesson he'll never forget!
chingiskhan
Shanghai Royalty
Shanghai Royalty

Postby KopyKatKiller » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:25 pm

^^In uni I applied at a StarBucks for a part time job to help with beer and weed money. They asked if I was ever trained as a barista (???) before? I said I could probably figure out how to use their espresso crapachino frothy machine as i was on the dean's list. They rolled their eyes. I never got the job. Lesson learned.
KalanStar is Sinolicious!
KopyKatKiller
Post Boaster

Postby prego2000 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:26 pm

chingiskhan wrote:In London I once asked for an espresso machiato and the guy had no idea what it was! But he works in a coffee shop!

I said venti, m0therfvcker! Don't you know anything?
#PVG->oneway-to-anywhere
prego2000
StreetBeater
StreetBeater

Next

Return to Shanghai Open Chat