Chat in China's biggest English language forum.
Receive our weekly
newsletter.
Find an apartment or rent
yours out.

Join the Shanghai Expat Community!

*   *  captcha
refresh
  Receive our weekly newsletter.   I agree with the Shanghai Expat Terms of Service.  
Register   or   Sign in
CLOSE X
Email or username:
Password: Forgot your password?

Why does the metro close so early?

Why does the metro close so early?

Postby findus » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:24 pm

This is a half-moan half-query. Last trains around 11pm is pretty shocking for such a huge city with a modern metro, why not stay open until at least 1am ish last trains, better still 24 hours with train frequency heavily reduced in the wee small hours?

What's the thinking? Too many hear the noise of the metro from their beds? I was going to say lack of funds, but they must be absolutely raking in the cash. Social decision? Logistics regarding maintenance and such?

What what what?
sppnew wrote:Generally, we Chinese are people with sanity.
findus
Wonder Wit
Wonder Wit

Postby ziccawei » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:30 pm

Maybe to stop people using it as a hotel?
Space is the Place.
ziccawei
Shanghai Royalty
Shanghai Royalty

Postby gino » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:42 pm

what Humac mentioned and also the fact that locals are not so night active... the ones who want to enjoy the night life haver car/ driver or use taxi. Let's see if this will change for the EXPO and if yes, if they will keep it running late after the EXPO.
See the blind man shooting at the world...Bullets flying taking toll" by Deep Purple -Child in Time-
gino
SuperStar
SuperStar

Postby ziccawei » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:48 pm

^ HAHAHAHA!!!
Space is the Place.
ziccawei
Shanghai Royalty
Shanghai Royalty

Postby chingiskhan » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:50 pm

My theory is that demand is much lower after 11pm compared to say, London and at the same time, taxis are MUCH cheaper than London so people who go out late probably just get a taxi. But even in London the Central line doesn't run much after midnight and that's the biggest city in England.
chingiskhan
Board Legend
Board Legend

Postby jasonnoguchi » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:54 pm

Yup, I reckon its due to the low low demand as the local chinese are really not out very much at night. Which is also why bars and clubs are filled with foreigners and local chicks seeking foreigners.
jasonnoguchi
LoopKicker
LoopKicker

Postby findus » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:59 pm

Right, low demand, so instead of a train every 5 min, put a train on every 30.

"Maybe to stop people using it as a hotel?" does sound startlingly close to the truth, though.
findus
Wonder Wit
Wonder Wit

Postby Shangstar » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:04 pm

after 8pm or so, most trains here are empty. But remember that it starts pretty early too.
The Vatican is against surrogate mothers. Good thing they didn't have that rule when Jesus was born.
Shangstar
Wonder Wit
Wonder Wit

Postby Andreas » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:42 am

Mate, I remember the time when they shut down the ATM's when the banks closed. How daft is that? And it's not so long ago, like 1998.
‘How inappropriate to call this planet Earth when it is quite clearly Ocean.’
- Sir Arthur C. Clarke
Andreas
Shanghai Royalty
Shanghai Royalty

Postby findus » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:54 am

leidelaohu wrote:This is the one that gets me : I'm pretty sure that the motors that drive elevators only work when the elevator is moving. I don't think they run all the time and have clutches. So if the elevator is just sitting there doing nothing it's not using any electricity.

They why, Oh Lord, do the guards in all these buildings turn off all but one elevator at night to save electricity ? Why do I have to wait for the single elevator which is running to finish with nine people and a motorcycle going to 30 floor just because it's after nine o'clock ? It doesn't save one bloody jiao !

Is it cheaper on fuel to send two cars with 2 people in each to Nanjing and back, or one car with four people?

(The Chinese answer I suppose is 4 people (plus boxes) on one motorbike).
findus
Wonder Wit
Wonder Wit

Postby findus » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:37 am

I remember reading about it a few times, elevator theory is actually pretty fcuking interesting and does indeed change depending on, amongst other things, traffic.

I'll agree that from a convenience perspective it's fcuking annoying! Still, there's always the stairs ;)
findus
Wonder Wit
Wonder Wit

Postby chingiskhan » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:42 am

jasonnoguchi wrote:Yup, I reckon its due to the low low demand as the local chinese are really not out very much at night. Which is also why bars and clubs are filled with foreigners and local chicks seeking foreigners.

And gangs of local guys trying to pick fights with foreign guys stealing "their" women.
chingiskhan
Board Legend
Board Legend

Postby ziccawei » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:45 am

^ So that really happens?

The light-railway closes really early. About 9 o'clock I think. Not sure.
Space is the Place.
ziccawei
Shanghai Royalty
Shanghai Royalty

Postby Ykai » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:16 am

The metro does stop running early, but I never really mind what with the taxis in this country. However, the fact that there is no decent connection to and from Pudong airport after, I don't know, ten-ish? eleven maybe? is pretty annoying. The airport is bloody far from the city and there is a fair number of flights still arriving around twelve, forcing all these people to sit in a taxi for over an hour to get somewhere. I rarely arrive or depart within maglev running times.
Ykai
Barker
Barker

Postby BeiDong » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:42 am

I'm fairly sure the last #2 bus running from Pudong departs after the last plane arrives. I've taken the bus pretty late at night, past 12.
BeiDong
Ranter
Ranter

Postby blondesands » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:14 am

BeiDong wrote:I'm fairly sure the last #2 bus running from Pudong departs after the last plane arrives. I've taken the bus pretty late at night, past 12.

Yes, bus #2 does leave after the last flight, but the problem is the route that it goes along. Not always convenient.

Also heard that taxis rely on the business after metro closing hours, since that is the time of day (night) that they can usually make the most money.
blondesands
Low Seater
Low Seater

Postby jasonnoguchi » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:02 am

Seriously, if the big G is so good at planning and to cater for the minority, they won't need to ban sites like youtube and facebook and take hundreds of thousands of other sites down with them just because they share the same IP.
jasonnoguchi
LoopKicker
LoopKicker

Return to Shanghai Open Chat