Chinese iPhone 4 serious map issues

Chinese iPhone 4 serious map issues

Postby Red Snapper » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:11 pm

As described in detail on this blog, iPhone 4 purchased in China:

* displays map in China only in Chinese characters, no pinyin
* some foreign countries like Canada are all Chinese characters, no Roman script at all
* US has English and Chinese
* Hong Kong has English and Chinese
* shows Chinese version of disputed territories (not that really matters to me)

Not having pinyin in China and the crippled ability in many countries is quite a problem for me. The only workaround now is to use Google Maps in Safari, but it's not quite as easy to use. It's possible that when it's jailbroken it might get worked on. But hard to say.

I'm also still having my location offset, as described in this thread. I was half-expecting that this Chinese release would fix that.
Red Snapper
Talker
Talker

Re: Chinese iPhone 4 serious map issues

Postby f22shift » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:29 pm

interesting find. the blog comments also mentions about no youtube app, safari search defaulting to google.cn or hk(although i think that's based on the server connected)
f22shift
Barker
Barker

Postby PureXTC88 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:35 pm

I don't think China will ever fix the location offset!
PureXTC88
SuperStar
SuperStar

Postby ProcrastiNation » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:48 pm

Is it possible that the maps app is related to the fact that you're using a Chinese sim card? In the link when buddy shows the 3gs version it says "no sim" in the top left corner. When he tries it with the iphone 4 it says "china unicom".
ProcrastiNation
Ranter
Ranter

Postby Red Snapper » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:49 pm

PureXTC88 wrote:I don't think China will ever fix the location offset!

I've read that a lot of people with other smartphones like Android don't have the offset. It seems to affect only iPhones.
Red Snapper
Talker
Talker

Postby ayall » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:50 pm

i don't think it's an iphone issue - if you go to maps.google.com, you'll see the same issue.

it's a google maps thing, not an iphone thing.

there are tons of map/gps apps which will serve your purpose better then google maps.
Nothing is planned by the sea and the sand
ayall
Raver
Raver

Postby f22shift » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:52 pm

ProcrastiNation wrote:Is it possible that the maps app is related to the fact that you're using a Chinese sim card? In the link when buddy shows the 3gs version it says "no sim" in the top left corner. When he tries it with the iphone 4 it says "china unicom".

hmm, he should pull the sim just in case to at least eliminate that possibilty.
notice how the pic shows 0 bars on unicom in one of the pics :lol:
f22shift
Barker
Barker

Postby Red Snapper » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:52 pm

ProcrastiNation wrote:Is it possible that the maps app is related to the fact that you're using a Chinese sim card? In the link when buddy shows the 3gs version it says "no sim" in the top left corner. When he tries it with the iphone 4 it says "china unicom".

My iPhone 3G with Unicom SIM does not have this problem, so no I don't think so. I would guess that if you go to another country and use a local SIM, it's not going to fix the problem.
Red Snapper
Talker
Talker

Postby chingiskhan » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:53 pm

f22shift wrote:interesting find. the blog comments also mentions about no youtube app, safari search defaulting to google.cn or hk(although i think that's based on the server connected)

Yes, that's a server issue. Google senses you are in China so takes you to the Chinese site. It's more for convenience than any sinister reason. I can still easily change to UK Google simply by typing http://www.google.co.uk/
chingiskhan
Board Legend
Board Legend

Postby Red Snapper » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:54 pm

ayall wrote:i don't think it's an iphone issue - if you go to maps.google.com, you'll see the same issue.

there are tons of map/gps apps which will serve your purpose better then google maps.

Are you talking about the offset or the showing characters/pinyin?

Which maps app do you use?
Red Snapper
Talker
Talker

Postby neffie » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:05 pm

the redirecting is googles fault.

try http://www.google.com/ncr

ncr = no country redirect

this is not good news. one of the reasons i wanted to buy iphone is because of the maps. i saw how fast the map app was but didnt check if its chinese only :(

edt

i ahve never owned a iphone but had a quick look and it turns out the apps map is from google.

cant you just download http://www.google.com/mobile/maps/ for iphone and have the correct version installed?

anyone with an iphone want to try it out?

edit nvm I don't think it's the same version.
neffie
Seeker
Seeker

Postby LtSaw » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:09 pm

Red Snapper wrote:As described in detail on this blog, iPhone 4 purchased in China:

* displays map in China only in Chinese characters, no pinyin
* some foreign countries like Canada are all Chinese characters, no Roman script at all
* US has English and Chinese
* Hong Kong has English and Chinese
* shows Chinese version of disputed territories (not that really matters to me)

Not having pinyin in China and the crippled ability in many countries is quite a problem for me. The only workaround now is to use Google Maps in Safari, but it's not quite as easy to use. It's possible that when it's jailbroken it might get worked on. But hard to say.

I'm also still having my location offset, as described in this thread. I was half-expecting that this Chinese release would fix that.

Can it be fixed by changing bootloader? Can you even change bootloader or other iOS stuff on iPhone 4?
Last edited by LtSaw on Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Confucius: "One to go to sleep with itchy butt will wake up with stinky finger"
LtSaw
PopStar
PopStar

Postby ElGatoNegro » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:53 pm

Red Snapper wrote:
PureXTC88 wrote:I don't think China will ever fix the location offset!

I've read that a lot of people with other smartphones like Android don't have the offset. It seems to affect only iPhones.

Yeah or a Nokia with OVI maps. Better GPS and more accurate then Google maps also does not need a data connection.... 8)

Oh! But its not Apple so forget it just go guy the 6000 RMB fashion accessory.... :roll:
"I only do this for money, send back to baba mama so they can buy 67-inch TV to hang on concrete wall."
prego2000 12 Dec 2013
ElGatoNegro
Post Roaster
Post Roaster

Postby edinshanghai » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:38 pm

there is an app called ' gps log' that solves the offset problem by tricking the position in some way. It works fine, there is a free version you can try.

@^ ok, so you are completely right. all these people buy Apple because it is a fashion accessory. Happy now? Childish chit chat on what OS is better... Lot's of 12 year olds on this forum.
edinshanghai
Seeker
Seeker

Postby ayall » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:46 pm

Red Snapper wrote:Are you talking about the offset or the showing characters/pinyin?

both - like i said, you can try it out by just going to any cpu browser and navigate to maps.google.com, type in a shanghai address and you'll see it's both offset and the characters will be in chines.

no just iphones.

Red Snapper wrote:Which maps app do you use?

i use ifound, but it also uses google maps... keep me posted if you find something that works better.
ayall
Raver
Raver

Postby Red Snapper » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:52 pm

No, if I look at maps.google.com on my computer it shows both pinyin and Chinese characters. This was also the case on my iPhone 3G. If your PC browser only shows Chinese characters maybe you didn't select the English version of Google Maps.
Red Snapper
Talker
Talker

Postby ranmachen » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:00 pm

ayall wrote:i don't think it's an iphone issue - if you go to maps.google.com, you'll see the same issue.

It's true that there is an offset if you use maps.google.com to check out China.

But if you use the Chinese version, ditu.google.com, you'll see there is no offset in China.

From what I remember, I read somewhere a long while ago that maps of China made for non-locals must have an offset. Perhaps China is worried that a couple of American F14 fighter jets would be equipped with iPhones so a map offset would be a great first line of defence.

In the meantime, us expats have to use apps that have corrected the offset to the best of their ability. At least two apps were mentioned in this forum ... GPS Log and ABCMap.

I just wish that there was a way for the iPhone user to either choose maps.google.com or ditu.google.com instead of being stuck with what they have.
ranmachen
Reacher
Reacher

Postby ayall » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:02 pm

^i guess i don't know what you're talking about when you say "pinyin"

i was mainly referring to the off-set, sorry.
ayall
Raver
Raver

Postby ElGatoNegro » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:20 pm

edinshanghai wrote:Lot's of 12 year olds on this forum.

Yupppp! :P :P :P :P :P :P
"I only do this for money, send back to baba mama so they can buy 67-inch TV to hang on concrete wall."
prego2000 12 Dec 2013
ElGatoNegro
Post Roaster
Post Roaster

Postby Red Snapper » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:30 pm

ranmachen wrote:In the meantime, us expats have to use apps that have corrected the offset to the best of their ability. At least two apps were mentioned in this forum ... GPS Log and ABCMap.

I remember reading a big thread on this a while back but now can't find it. It's quite bizarre that only iPhones and maybe some other devices have this problem, while others don't have the offset, but of course many things in China don't make sense.

The offset is not really a big deal; I can figure out where I am.

The lack of roman letters is the real big **** deal.

Once a jailbreak is available, I'll ask around the iPhone hacking forums to see if there's a way to fix both of these problems. I'd even put up a $ reward.

ayall wrote:^i guess i don't know what you're talking about when you say "pinyin"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinyin
Red Snapper
Talker
Talker

Postby LtSaw » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:42 pm

Red Snapper wrote:
ranmachen wrote:In the meantime, us expats have to use apps that have corrected the offset to the best of their ability. At least two apps were mentioned in this forum ... GPS Log and ABCMap.

I remember reading a big thread on this a while back but now can't find it. It's quite bizarre that only iPhones and maybe some other devices have this problem, while others don't have the offset, but of course many things in China don't make sense.

The offset is not really a big deal; I can figure out where I am.

The lack of roman letters is the real big **** deal.

Once a jailbreak is available, I'll ask around the iPhone hacking forums to see if there's a way to fix both of these problems. I'd even put up a $ reward.

ayall wrote:^i guess i don't know what you're talking about when you say "pinyin"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinyin

I think we must create ticket on Apple.com. Hope they will fix this. As fixing map language is not such a big deal. But anyway I odn't know if there is a way to bring back YouTube app. :(
LtSaw
PopStar
PopStar

Postby neffie » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:56 pm

im not gonna buy the thing anymore.

anyone know if the hong kong version is alright? i heard the hong kong iphone is the same like the rest of the world as in youtube app, correct maps etc.
neffie
Seeker
Seeker

Postby LtSaw » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:09 pm

neffie wrote:im not gonna buy the thing anymore.

anyone know if the hong kong version is alright? i heard the hong kong iphone is the same like the rest of the world as in youtube app, correct maps etc.

Hong Kong is 100% same as US, but without lock to certain SIM cards. But HK phones are still pretty expensive in SH. Like 6k RMB.
LtSaw
PopStar
PopStar

Postby willzzz88 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:41 am

Just jailbreak it and you can easily add whatever apps you want (Youtube, etc...). Of coursein China the Youtube app requires a VPN. As for the hardware the hardware sold in China is *EXACTLY* the same as the rest of the world (A1332). The only different is the software (Chinese ROM instead of English). If you really want to change it load your home countries ROM/software onto the hardware. Wait until the jailbreak, it's all changeable by software as the hardware is the same.

And the Google Maps issue, as said above is Google's software problem. Tell Google to fix it.
willzzz88

Postby Red Snapper » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:08 am

Could just as well be Apple's fault that they're accessing the "wrong" mapset from Google Maps.
Red Snapper
Talker
Talker

Postby neffie » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:15 am

willzzz88 wrote:Just jailbreak it and you can easily add whatever apps you want (Youtube, etc...). Of coursein China the Youtube app requires a VPN. As for the hardware the hardware sold in China is *EXACTLY* the same as the rest of the world (A1332). The only different is the software (Chinese ROM instead of English). If you really want to change it load your home countries ROM/software onto the hardware. Wait until the jailbreak, it's all changeable by software as the hardware is the same.

And the Google Maps issue, as said above is Google's software problem. Tell Google to fix it.

Yeah i was thinking about that aswell. buy the thing here, download the os 4.1 binary and reinstall that OS through itunes. Only thing i was concerned about does iphone have like a product code. (region code)

For instance, iOS 4.2 comes out will it run through the normal update procedure or will you have to do it manually again? and does it require jailbreaking? Reinstalling the OS, to my knowledge, should be a legit operation? so warranty should still be safe.
neffie
Seeker
Seeker

Postby nok123 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:12 am

Hmm -- this issue might be serious enough for me to consider just trying to get a Hong Kong version iPhone 4. Perhaps the ones on the (grey) market here in Shanghai have dropped in price significantly since the introduction of the official one.
nok123
Lurker
Lurker

Postby ayall » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:28 am

nok - i too would be interested in knowing what the new "grey market" price is - before the release it was about 6,500 - 7,000 for a 32GB.

as for the versions, i doubt it matters... like i said, i think it's a google maps issue.
I bought my phone a few weeks ago in OZ and have the same issues everyone here has.
again, not sure about this "pinyin" (ya, i read the wiki, but again - makes no sense to me), as i stated - my maps is EXACTLY like maps.google.com, with the offset and all the characters/text.

i still use the iphone map application, maybe my exact position isn't correct, but i can type in a location and it places it on the map and i can use the map to help me find said location.
ayall
Raver
Raver

Postby nok123 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:40 am

ayall -- any idea where the best place is to find grey (or is it 'gray') market iphones here in Shanghai ? when i was Beijing, my coworkers had a 'phone guy' who had hong kong iphone 3GS's for sale, and would actually deliver them to you. several coworkers (all American) bought them, turned out to be genuine, unlocked HK versions.
nok123
Lurker
Lurker

Postby ProcrastiNation » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:47 am

ayall wrote:nok - i too would be interested in knowing what the new "grey market" price is - before the release it was about 6,500 - 7,000 for a 32GB.

as for the versions, i doubt it matters... like i said, i think it's a google maps issue.
I bought my phone a few weeks ago in OZ and have the same issues everyone here has.
again, not sure about this "pinyin" (ya, i read the wiki, but again - makes no sense to me), as i stated - my maps is EXACTLY like maps.google.com, with the offset and all the characters/text.

i still use the iphone map application, maybe my exact position isn't correct, but i can type in a location and it places it on the map and i can use the map to help me find said location.

Pinyin is Chinese Characters written in English letters. 你好 = Ni Hao = Hello.

The problem I think everyone else has is that there maps is the same as "ditu.google.com" i.e no pinyin, so unless you know roughly 3000+ Chinese Characters, it's very hard to read the map.
ProcrastiNation
Ranter
Ranter

Next

Return to Technology and Internet