From tea ceremony scam to reality of China media

From tea ceremony scam to reality of China media

Postby hlbb » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:40 am

I am going to tell something no one touch before, so my view might surprise you. My English is not very good since it is my third language after Mandarin but I hope every one might have a clear view of Why Tea Ceremony is so popular and why it is not get attention from Media.

Tea ceremony scam is almost unknown to most Chinese, but it is obviously a very popular topic in ShanghaiExpat or Tripadvisor's shanghai forum.

I have been posting post in different Chinese forums regarding this scam,
http://www.jfdaily.com/a/372807.htm

http://www.tianya.cn/publicforum/conten ... 5020.shtml

but the response I get is not positive, believe it or not, Most Chinese, espically those NEW SHANGHAINESS feel sympathy for the criminal NOT the victim.

The reason behind this sad fact is that for almost 5 decades, China provides education (together with all your expense during the college) to people from rural area for free. If you walk into a SJUT or FuDan Classroom in 1990, you will see 80% of the students are from countryside, only 20% are from the cities, and probably 10% is from Big City like Shanghai/Beijing.

The result is China's media is controlled by the young educated people from countryside, the guy from the same village might run a tea ceremony scam or a construction worker. People from China's countryside are criminal minded by nature, they always assume one day they themselves will run a tea ceremony. Get Justice from those criminal minded media and people??? Are you kidding me.

Another side effect of the media controlled by those guy is a very strange view of United States.
How many times do you see an article on Chinese news paper/TV show telling its people that in United States, every one has free food, free housing (the big mansion type like SongQingLin's Marble One), free education, free medicare,.... when you retired, you will stay in a big mansion with black servant, I am really sick of those propaganda although those young media workers are actually complaining they cannot afford house at Shanghai. But enough is enough, those are wrong information, you cannot ask for media freedom while at the same time feed people with crap like that.

I would rather to have no free speech or free media if free media just mean you can say anything you want but I have no word.
hlbb
Ranter
Ranter
 
Posts: 561
Joined: Thu May 14, 2009 1:29 pm

Postby jay_dee » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:24 am

I've had many discussions with friends and associates about the Education System here. The restrictions for admittance, cheating on exams, payoffs for higher grades to teachers, gifts to University Administrators to guarantee a place for their children in specific schools, exceptions to requirements, entrance by those from outside Provinces, etc. It is deplorable in no uncertain terms.
Running a scam is not a way to achieve success in life, just a few hundred kuai for quick money. However, if one cannot secure a position in their chosen field of study they resort to illegal methods just to survive.
Most of the students I've talked to have a distorted/strange view of life outside China, until they travel abroad to see for themselves. They have a misconception that all foreigners are wealthy and live exotic lifestyles. This is because they really do believe that popular movies and TV programs (90210, Desperate Housewives) provide a factual representation to which they aspire to secure a lavish lifestyle for themselves.
Unlimited opportunities, designer clothes, jewelry, high salary in top firms, McMansions, pampered in salons weekly, expensive cars, vacations to exotic places and plenty of cash to throw around. This is not reality for 99.9% of us. Until they learn the streets are not paved in gold elsewhere, they will continue to live in a dream caused by the western media.
Several of these kids return from studies/working abroad from LA to Boston or Europe with first-hand experience of being mugged, raped, car-jacked or having apartments burglarized, their dreams and expectations turned into a harsh reality of the world they imagined.
jay_dee
Post Roaster
Post Roaster
 
Posts: 4029
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:56 am

Postby hlbb » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:07 am

I was always think good education was the key reason for China's success for all those centuries before 1800s and give those peasants a fair education chance is important to China's success in the future. But recently I changed my mind for issues like Tea Ceremony Scam and also Whether speak Shanghainess in Shanghai is Not proper.

China's city/countryside system cause people from countryside feel inferior by nature. Once you give them education, they feel that they are now equal to your people live in Shanghai but reality is hash, they never be treated equally for accent, strange social behavior (for example, non-Shanghainess chinese love to borrow but not return) and society behavior (for example, spit on the groud); They love to date with Shanghainess girls but Shanghainess girls almost never even notice their existence.

So they turn angry and blame everything to society, why the government pays so much to generate those mentally sick angry young people?

Recent education "reform", a copy from US system to pay for your high education, is actually a success, so no free education for peasants anymore. Now this is American way, you must be happy??
hlbb
Ranter
Ranter
 
Posts: 561
Joined: Thu May 14, 2009 1:29 pm

Postby jay_dee » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:19 am

You are incorrect to assume that the Chinese have adopted an American way of education just because students need to pay tuition now.

Edit:
This includes the education systems in place for Canada, Europe and Oz, not just the US.
Last edited by jay_dee on Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
jay_dee
Post Roaster
Post Roaster
 
Posts: 4029
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:56 am

Postby sinned69 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:06 am

in China everything is just for looking, nothing is what it seems. beAware the smoke and mirrors... everywhere! always have a healthy amount of skepticism in all dealings in China or involving China.

There are still loads of foreign companies and foreigners who are being fleeced in China.

One businessman I know of has just "been taken to the cleaners" for several million US$ -he's lost everything, both here and abroad as he invested everything into this venture and has lost it to the stealing lying Chinese scumbag (and this is not the first time I've witnessed this kind of thing here), unfortunately this foreigner is in his late 40's so it will be harder for him to recover financially...

Basically DO NOT trust any Chinese person born and raised their whole life in China.
45-50wpm w 3-5% error rate. i apologise now for my typos. - damn butter fingers :P
User avatar
sinned69
PopStar
PopStar
 
Posts: 1244
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:15 pm
Location: Shanghai (2002-2004) Zhejiang (2005-current)

Postby tihZ_hO » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:24 am

^ Agreed.

Whenever you're dealing with Mainland Chinese assume you are in the process of being cheated.
Image





You know who you are
User avatar
tihZ_hO
Board Deity
 
Posts: 16239
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:43 am

Postby zillahh » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:35 am

The assumption qualification is a solid basis to start . . . and maintain, while hanging around . . . it makes those good experiences so much better.
zillahh
LoopKicker
LoopKicker
 
Posts: 918
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:32 am

Postby findus » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:12 pm

tihZ_hO wrote:^ Agreed.

Whenever you're dealing with Mainland Chinese assume you are in the process of being cheated.


I find that I've been doing this automatically for a few years now. It's tiring. On the other hand, sometimes there is some strange power in knowing you are probably being cheated, but not giving a shiit anyway.

Worth repeating this link while we're on the subject: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thirty-Six_Stratagems
sppnew wrote:Generally, we Chinese are people with sanity.
User avatar
findus
Wonder Wit
Wonder Wit
 
Posts: 3651
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2004 10:21 pm

Re: From tea ceremony scam to reality of China media

Postby findus » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:19 pm

hlbb wrote:I am going to tell something no one touch before, so my view might surprise you. My English is not very good since it is my third language after Mandarin but I hope every one might have a clear view of Why Tea Ceremony is so popular and why it is not get attention from Media.

Tea ceremony scam is almost unknown to most Chinese, but it is obviously a very popular topic in ShanghaiExpat or Tripadvisor's shanghai forum.

I have been posting post in different Chinese forums regarding this scam,
http://www.jfdaily.com/a/372807.htm

http://www.tianya.cn/publicforum/conten ... 5020.shtml

but the response I get is not positive, believe it or not, Most Chinese, espically those NEW SHANGHAINESS feel sympathy for the criminal NOT the victim.

The reason behind this sad fact is that for almost 5 decades, China provides education (together with all your expense during the college) to people from rural area for free. If you walk into a SJUT or FuDan Classroom in 1990, you will see 80% of the students are from countryside, only 20% are from the cities, and probably 10% is from Big City like Shanghai/Beijing.

The result is China's media is controlled by the young educated people from countryside, the guy from the same village might run a tea ceremony scam or a construction worker. People from China's countryside are criminal minded by nature, they always assume one day they themselves will run a tea ceremony. Get Justice from those criminal minded media and people??? Are you kidding me.

Another side effect of the media controlled by those guy is a very strange view of United States.
How many times do you see an article on Chinese news paper/TV show telling its people that in United States, every one has free food, free housing (the big mansion type like SongQingLin's Marble One), free education, free medicare,.... when you retired, you will stay in a big mansion with black servant, I am really sick of those propaganda although those young media workers are actually complaining they cannot afford house at Shanghai. But enough is enough, those are wrong information, you cannot ask for media freedom while at the same time feed people with crap like that.

I would rather to have no free speech or free media if free media just mean you can say anything you want but I have no word.


Good post. And it's good seeing a Chinese person who can speak with perspective from actual experience rather than what they've seen on the TV, been fed with propaganda, etc.

Note that it's the same with people from all countries. Ignorance is a universal trait we're all born with - some people are lucky enough to realise they're ignorant and (if they are lucky and able) do something about it; others don't realise.
sppnew wrote:Generally, we Chinese are people with sanity.
User avatar
findus
Wonder Wit
Wonder Wit
 
Posts: 3651
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2004 10:21 pm

Re: From tea ceremony scam to reality of China media

Postby brasil » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:11 pm

hlbb wrote:How many times do you see an article on Chinese news paper/TV show telling its people that in United States, every one has free food, free housing (the big mansion type like SongQingLin's Marble One), free education, free medicare,.... when you retired, you will stay in a big mansion with black servant, I am really sick of those propaganda although those young media workers are actually complaining they cannot afford house at Shanghai. But enough is enough, those are wrong information, you cannot ask for media freedom while at the same time feed people with crap like that.


are you sure this is wrong information? from discussions here it does seem the life quality there is a million times better.
brasil
LoopKicker
LoopKicker
 
Posts: 905
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:50 am
Location: peach motel

Postby jay_dee » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:29 pm

I'm sure the NAACP, Black Caucus, CLU and Rev. Al Sharpton would take offence.
jay_dee
Post Roaster
Post Roaster
 
Posts: 4029
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:56 am

Re: From tea ceremony scam to reality of China media

Postby hlbb » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:08 pm

leidelaohu wrote:
brasil wrote:are you sure this is wrong information? from discussions here it does seem the life quality there is a million times better.

It is. But unless you are a shallow little twit those are not the things that create a high-quality life.

~~~~~~ Chinese people simply would NOT believe that normal people in US just live normal live, sometime even worse.

No matter what you explain to them, Chinese people simply won't get the idea of Homelessness, and think you are talking about professional beggar, because Homelessness is not exist in a china society. If you tell them that there are ton's of Homelessness in San Francisco, they think you lie to them. What happened to their home? Evicted because not able to pay the loan? You must be lying, United States honor human rights, why every media in China tell us there are very nice government house for every one, free education and medicare, if you want to buy something, government will issue you a card. <<--- Most Chinese think US is almost achieved Communist where everything is FREE.

Since no Chinese believe there are Homelessness in US, to prove them that your electricity/water will be cut if you do not pay you bill in US is even harder. I am simply gave it up.
hlbb
Ranter
Ranter
 
Posts: 561
Joined: Thu May 14, 2009 1:29 pm

Postby kungfusilas » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:13 pm

It is not so much better, just differant. In the west, even the poor people drive thier own cars, have there own homes. But maybe they work in a factory 12 hourse a day to maintain it or live a little off of the government.

And our servants are not black, they are mexican. Ok, guys and gals, this is true. Admit it!
WWW.SaiRuiMMA.COM Where you come to get fit and learn to defend yourself as well. Many martial arts options available!
User avatar
kungfusilas
Barker
Barker
 
Posts: 165
Joined: Thu May 07, 2009 1:16 pm
Location: Shanghai, China

Postby bigroh74 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:14 pm

Hibb...you're just another retarded 12-year-old. Just what we need.
bigroh74
Veejay
Veejay
 
Posts: 2032
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:24 pm

Postby hlbb » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:25 pm

It is not so much better, just differant. In the west, even the poor people drive thier own cars, have there own homes. But maybe they work in a factory 12 hourse a day to maintain it or live a little off of the government.
~~~~~~~~~~~ What kind of person in the west will work 12 hours a day?? 4 day shift? "even the poor people drive thier own cars, have there own homes"? What is your point here?
Shanghai probably has the highest private home ownership in the whole world, and they do not need to drive "their own cars", there are plenty of cheap taxi and public transportation system.
hlbb
Ranter
Ranter
 
Posts: 561
Joined: Thu May 14, 2009 1:29 pm


Return to Shanghai Open Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests
Administration Control Panel