Piano rental and teacher

Piano rental and teacher

Postby Allyandrea » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:23 pm

Does anyone know where I can rent a piano for my six year old and also a good music teacher. I am staying in Pudong and I've heard that it is not easy to look for teachers here. Is it true? BTW, how much are they charging?
Allyandrea
Squeeker
Squeeker

Postby freedelia » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:42 am

I know a GREAT piano teacher, really really good with kids, she is from HK, speaks perfect English and my son loves going to class. However, she lives in Puxi. She charges 200 RMB for half an hour or 300 for 45 minutes.
freedelia
LoopKicker
LoopKicker

Postby r6 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:51 am

whoa... expensive. I'm sure you can pick up a music student for less than 100 rmb an hour who's willing to commute to your house.
r6

Postby That_Chinese_Girl » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:07 pm

You might consider buying a digital piano. They are reasonable in price and portable. Check out the Yamaha CLP series. You can get one under 10,000RMB.
That_Chinese_Girl
PopStar
PopStar

Postby r6 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:48 pm

Yeah, and they're not bad either. I personally have the Yamaha CP300. Keys feel lighter than the Kawaii grand that I have at home in the US, but quite realistic to a real Yamaha. I highly suggest Yamaha digital pianos as well.
r6

Postby myra » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:39 pm

I'm also looking for a Piano teacher for my four year old, preferably in Hong Qiao/ Gubei area. :-)
myra
Lurker
Lurker

Postby freedelia » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:59 am

Most Chinese schools i asked do not accept kids under 5. Then, you have the music students, who might be good, but have NO idea about child psychology and end up pushing your little one too much out of the fear that they will lose their job if the parents don't see results right away. Yes, they are cheap, but you kinda get what you're paying for.

My son loves his piano teacher -- he always asks when is piano day again. We started his lessons when he turned 4, that is 4 months ago and i can already see some things he can do on the piano, he knows some of the keys and can find the other ones from the ones he knows, he can play one or 2 short songs and he is having so much fun with his piano sticker books coloring activities.

So i strongly recommend his teacher, even though she charges double what a student would.

Let me know if you would like to have her number.
freedelia
LoopKicker
LoopKicker

Postby That_Chinese_Girl » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:14 am

^ It sounds like a group lesson with your teacher. In that case, I think it's WAY too much.
That_Chinese_Girl
PopStar
PopStar

Postby hautumncloud » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:07 am

freedelia wrote:Most Chinese schools i asked do not accept kids under 5. Then, you have the music students, who might be good, but have NO idea about child psychology and end up pushing your little one too much out of the fear that they will lose their job if the parents don't see results right away. Yes, they are cheap, but you kinda get what you're paying for.

Actually, that is not true. Most Chinese music school do accept children younger than 4 even. And although Chinese student piano teachers come cheaper, it is not because they are less good, rather they don't posses the necessary paper qualifications to bring students of theirs to higher level (ie concert levels). There are of course many student teachers who are VERY good with children and just as many who aren't, like any qualified Chinese music teachers. I can testify to MANY highly qualified Chinese piano teachers who don't have a clue in how to relate to children - there again - this would go back to the debate on the teaching styles.

For young children who aren't going into concert level anytime soon, getting a young student teacher is not a bad idea. Actually, I think the younger student teachers are more open to my western type "enjoy the music" requirement and to western style of teaching. The older ones can be quite rigid and result oriented for their own glory. Anyhow, just be sure to clearly state what you expect.

BTW, you can get Chinese fully qualified piano teachers with Masters Degree from Shanghai Music Conservatory at RMB200 per hour. Most of them speak basic English, some speak very good English. The music terms they used are the standard like quarter note, quaver etc

It is a little cheaper if you go the the music school. A good one to check is "My Best Friend" music chain - they are authorised dealers for Yamaha and have branches all over Shanghai. They have a music lesson rooms at the back in every branch. You can also check Yamaha school.

Edit: For young children, a half hour lesson is more than sufficient. You can get a very qualified Chinese piano teacher for RMB100/ half hour.
hautumncloud
LoopKicker
LoopKicker

Postby freedelia » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:53 pm

@ That_Chinese_Girl: it is a one on one lesson, and the teacher is NOT chinese. To me, that translates as "not obsessed with results, not strict, aware that little kids learn more when having fun, etc"

@ hautumncould: i did not say that the more music degrees the teacher has, the better he/she is. I only said that, in my experience iwith Chinese teachers, they tend not to be what I would want for my still very young son -- they are to strict, too rigid and too obsessed with results.

Yes, i agree, 30 minutes is enough for a child under 6, this is how long my son's lessons are and I can see that he IS learning something.
freedelia
LoopKicker
LoopKicker

Postby hautumncloud » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:07 pm

freedelia wrote:
@ hautumncould: i did not say that the more music degrees the teacher has, the better he/she is. I only said that, in my experience iwith Chinese teachers, they tend not to be what I would want for my still very young son -- they are to strict, too rigid and too obsessed with results.

Not all are like that but generally most of the very qualified ones are rigid as I mentioned. There are Chinese piano teachers (highly qualified or student teachers alike) who are very good with children. I find this more in Chinese student piano teachers as they are younger and very open to western ideas of thinking/teaching and very very eager to teach foreign children and have no previous "good reputation" to keep up like the older very qualified one. I was responding to your statement about the student music teachers below:-

freedelia wrote
Then, you have the music students, who might be good, but have NO idea about child psychology and end up pushing your little one too much out of the fear that they will lose their job if the parents don't see results right away. Yes, they are cheap, but you kinda get what you're paying for.

To OP - you can also rent pianos from any shops who sells pianos like My Best Friend.
hautumncloud
LoopKicker
LoopKicker

Return to Shanghai Family