Surfing in China

Discuss workout routines and more

Surfing in China

Postby pelicano » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:15 pm

Heya,

I am relatively new to Shanghai, China (coming up on 1 year). As a lifelong and experienced surfer I thought it would be tough to be away from surfable waves. And it is. Yet, in my short time here I have managed to find some waves, particularly this time last year and now this year. There are reasonable quality beachbreaks on Zhujiajian when east swells are generated in the East China Sea by typhoons or low pressure systems, one is forming off Taiwan and will spin past Okinawa soon. I have photos of overhead hollow and offshore waves, brown water. Yes, it is inconsistent but thankfully there are waves, on the odd occassion.

Anyway, it's a pretty short flight into Zhoushan from Shanghai (or 6 hour bus ride) and not too expensive then short ride to the waves from Zhoushan Airport. I travel there when the weather maps show promise or take off to Southern Taiwan when it looks good (and it gets very good there). It's easy to hire a car there and camp at the waves, so it can be done cheap by flying into Khaosiung. Hainan can be OK in winter but lacks any power. It's overrated. Better to fly to Taiwan. Surprisingly, the focal beachbreak on Zhujiajian has more punch to it. Period tops out at 9-10 seconds, but the bathymetry, while shallow, seems to funnel the energy into it.

If anyone is keen to come surfing I could use some company, it gets lonely in the water sometimes heh heh. I am not really concerned with overcrowding as the spots are fickle and is a bit of an effort. But if you are keen ... there are sometimes rewards. You just have to know how to read the weather maps.

Also, I am interested in exploring the rest of the coastline of China (Fujian Province especially). I am still a lame duck Mandarin wise but maybe your language skills are better and can help us find more waves.

Boards are not a problem as my friend runs a surfboard factory in Ningbo (3 hours south of Shanghai and handily on the way to Zhujiajian). Or you could try Taobao, it has everything even boards :lol:

pm me if your interested in going surfing. All is not lost, as I used to think at first.

Evidence:

I'll now have a wander around the forums to see what sort of crazies lurk within :wink:

Cheers.
pelicano

Re: Surfing in China

Postby chuxxnorris » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:39 pm

I agree, south taiwan is quite good, and hainan is kinda underwhelming... unfortunately not so much time to get out anymore. good luck!
chuxxnorris
Barker
Barker

Postby pelicano » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:48 pm

Caarrn, chuxx. There's always time. Spend less time in the bar, maybe? ;-)

Nah, scratch that. Silly idea.

Maybe less time at work ... heh heh
pelicano

Postby cecs » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:01 pm

I'm very much interested, i've sent u a pm.
cecs
Barker
Barker

Postby chuxxnorris » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:46 pm

pelicano wrote:Caarrn, chuxx. There's always time. Spend less time in the bar, maybe? ;-)

Nah, scratch that. Silly idea.

Maybe less time at work ... heh heh

haha if only the latter were possible...
chuxxnorris
Barker
Barker

Postby dashikaaa » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:52 pm

hey guys) i also very much in surfing) so if u wanna go to anywhere around shanghai to get some waves///i always in)) soon will be much warmer...and should be wavy....let me know my email dasha_pimanova@mail.ru///
dashikaaa

Postby MWat » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:05 pm

I have sent you a PM
MWat
Lurker
Lurker

Postby fotdot » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:45 pm

Hi all, I know this thread is old but if you are still in SH (Pelicano) I'd love to give Zhujiajian a go this winter season. As a native Californian now in SH via Vietnam and Hong Kong, I'm definitely itching for a surf.

Ping me directly. Cheers, Patrick
fotdot
Squeeker
Squeeker

Postby craigjritchie » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:09 pm

Hey guys - anyone still reading this thread?

I've been in Shanghai less than 2 weeks, but frothing for a surf. I'll be in Hainan at the end of the month for about 5 or 6 days, but for now keen to meet some surfing connections here in Shanghai and look into taking trips to the nearby islands next time conditions look good.

Feel free to ping me a private message any time. 33 year old South African, surfed around the world, always keen for a mission.
craigjritchie

Postby HazzaH » Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:07 pm

Hi there, just wondering if anyone of you posting above are still here and keen for more surfing here in China? I've been here a few years and surfed a few spots here near shanghai, plus hainan and HK. Keen to make some conenctions and get away on a few more trips.

.. drop me a message if up for a few short missions.
HazzaH

Postby Ghost347 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:15 am

Hey, I move to Shanghai in a few weeks and I've been living in Indo for the last 6 months, the prospect of being somewhere with no waves is horrifying Id be down for some road trips/ missions to Taiwan etc to chase some waves. Get at me if up for it.
Ghost347

Postby kb1155 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:56 am

Hey there. I moved to Shanghai from Hawaii and I am missing the ocean and waves too! I'm a beginner/intermediate surfer but I'd be down to find some waves!
When do you move to Shanghai?
kb1155

Postby surfer_in_shanghai » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:26 pm

If you are planning a local surf trip, please count me in. I am a beginner as well, but am psyched to get back in the water. I have just picked up a "taobao special", and have researched transportation to the closest (currently marked) break. "IM" me directly, or reply here or whatever. If you (or anyone is) are serious about surfing, lets connect and make a plan.
surfer_in_shanghai

Postby shanghaipotatoes » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:31 pm

Guys, let's make it happen!

I'm looking at a trip to Taiwan this July – just moved to Shanghai from SG (there are no waves there but there's Bali :-) and the urge to get into the water again is hitting me too hard every day.

PM me if you're keen. Let's meet up to discuss this for sure.

(Caveat: I'm a novice so I definitely need a location with boards and etc.)
shanghaipotatoes

Postby shanghai_123 » Thu May 07, 2015 10:08 am

Yes!

Count me in! Have you guys started planning? If so, I would totally love to join. :D
shanghai_123

Postby AnotherIndianGuy » Thu May 07, 2015 7:53 pm

Count me in when you find a beach in Shanghai
AnotherIndianGuy
Seeker
Seeker

Postby Tak1173 » Thu May 07, 2015 9:10 pm

Hey guys, I moved to Shanghai last month.
I lived in Hong Kong and sometimes went to Taiwan, Indo, Sri Lanka and Aus.
Pls count me in when you'll go surf around Shanghai!
Tak1173

Postby letizia.gilardino » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:48 pm

pelicano wrote:Heya,

I am relatively new to Shanghai, China (coming up on 1 year). As a lifelong and experienced surfer I thought it would be tough to be away from surfable waves. And it is. Yet, in my short time here I have managed to find some waves, particularly this time last year and now this year. There are reasonable quality beachbreaks on Zhujiajian when east swells are generated in the East China Sea by typhoons or low pressure systems, one is forming off Taiwan and will spin past Okinawa soon. I have photos of overhead hollow and offshore waves, brown water. Yes, it is inconsistent but thankfully there are waves, on the odd occassion.

Anyway, it's a pretty short flight into Zhoushan from Shanghai (or 6 hour bus ride) and not too expensive then short ride to the waves from Zhoushan Airport. I travel there when the weather maps show promise or take off to Southern Taiwan when it looks good (and it gets very good there). It's easy to hire a car there and camp at the waves, so it can be done cheap by flying into Khaosiung. Hainan can be OK in winter but lacks any power. It's overrated. Better to fly to Taiwan. Surprisingly, the focal beachbreak on Zhujiajian has more punch to it. Period tops out at 9-10 seconds, but the bathymetry, while shallow, seems to funnel the energy into it.

If anyone is keen to come surfing I could use some company, it gets lonely in the water sometimes heh heh. I am not really concerned with overcrowding as the spots are fickle and is a bit of an effort. But if you are keen ... there are sometimes rewards. You just have to know how to read the weather maps.

Also, I am interested in exploring the rest of the coastline of China (Fujian Province especially). I am still a lame duck Mandarin wise but maybe your language skills are better and can help us find more waves.

Boards are not a problem as my friend runs a surfboard factory in Ningbo (3 hours south of Shanghai and handily on the way to Zhujiajian). Or you could try Taobao, it has everything even boards :lol:

pm me if your interested in going surfing. All is not lost, as I used to think at first.

Evidence:

I'll now have a wander around the forums to see what sort of crazies lurk within :wink:

Cheers.

Hey, I quote and contact you for two reasons:

1) I love surfing, but I'm just a beginner;
2) I have been looking for some places here in China but I'm not quite sure about what I found (Sanya sourroundings are too far away)
3) I'd like to join you, as I miss my surfboard so much!

I work in Shanghai, so it's quite difficult to find time to go away on a surf trip.

Let me know!
letizia.gilardino

Postby Kram » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:36 am

will be moving to Sanya for work next year. Anyone out here working and living in Hainan who also surfs around the area. Been living in Oahu for almost 3 years and wants to keep at least surf trips in china or surrounding regions.

Aloha
Kram

Postby Audreyao » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:21 pm

Is it still an active post? I am also into surfing and a beginner. Tried several times in LA and Taiwan. I am also looking for a surfing partner.
Audreyao

Postby Isk8mondays » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:33 pm

Ditto the above. I am moving to Shanghai in August from the Lands end in the UK. Mellow and warm would be a step-up from my usual, mellow and cold!
Anyone offer any advice
TIA
Isk8mondays

Postby Moonlighting » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:23 am

Shanghai will be warm through October, and there are plenty of mellow places to hang out.

Meanwhile, are you looking for surf, or just nice warm places? China is not really known for clean pleasant oceans or any decent surfing. If you want to surf, go to the Philippines. Otherwise, head to Kunming down in Yunnan or Hainan.
Moonlighting
SuperStar
SuperStar

Postby mellowfellow » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:14 am

Hey guys,

Don't know how active this forum is but I'm a Kiwi heading to Shanghai for a month in June. I understand there isn't an abundance of quality breaks in the area, but will be itching for a wave so if anyone knows any spots and wouldn't mind me tagging along for a session or two I'd be stoked!
mellowfellow

Return to Sports