Drinking Water

This forum is for chatting about living the good life in Shanghai

Drinking Water

Postby elektra16 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:43 pm

The water here in China is heard to have more heavy metals and increasing chlorine over the years... where is a good place to get a reliable source of good water?

There seems to be lots of brand and type of water in Shanghai. I'm not sure which ones are good. I read about Nestle, Nungfu spring, Watsons, Waterman, etc.

Can anyone share their recommendations and experiences.

any ideas are greatly appreciated.. thanks! :D
elektra16

Re: Drinking Water

Postby tihZ_hO » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:54 pm

Nestle, Watsons

You know who you are
tihZ_hO
Board Deity

Postby chingiskhan » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:18 pm

Nongfu Spring. 18 RMB for an 18 litre bottle delivered to your door. They have one morning and one afternoon delivery and if I'm out I just leave the empty bottle outside my door with the money and they leave the new bottle and take the money.
chingiskhan
Board Legend
Board Legend

Postby Annette » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:39 pm

Is the water arranged via the landlord or is it something you can do yourself? If so whats the best way around it?

thanks.
Annette
Squeeker
Squeeker

Postby dressuphk » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:24 pm

Don't drink Nongfu spring, there's once they were found bacteria over safety level (they are natural water not still so you can imagine)

I always drink Watsons in Hong Kong, will do the same when I go to Shanghai in a while (Watsons is stilled over 100 degree so it won't go wrong!)
dressuphk
Squeeker
Squeeker

Postby chingiskhan » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:27 pm

Annette wrote:Is the water arranged via the landlord or is it something you can do yourself? If so whats the best way around it?

thanks.

Arranged by the landlord? No, the landlord is not responsible for your groceries!

dressuphk wrote:Don't drink Nongfu spring, there's once they were found bacteria over safety level (they are natural water not still so you can imagine)

I always drink Watsons in Hong Kong, will do the same when I go to Shanghai in a while (Watsons is stilled over 100 degree so it won't go wrong!)

Isn't it dangerous to drink only distilled water?

http://www.our-drinking-water.com/shoul ... water.html
chingiskhan
Board Legend
Board Legend

Postby bigroh74 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:48 pm

dressuphk wrote:Don't drink Nongfu spring, there's once they were found bacteria over safety level (they are natural water not still so you can imagine)

Do you have a link to that story? The only one I am aware of was found to be false. And chingiskhan is right, drinking only distilled water is not a great idea.
Last edited by bigroh74 on Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigroh74
Veejay
Veejay

Postby chingiskhan » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:51 pm

bigroh74 wrote:

Do you have a link to that story? The only one I am aware of was found to be false.

Yes, I think DressupHK is one of those typical HK paranoid people who think only HK brands (eg Watsons) are safe. I knew someone who if she needed to fly from SH to HK refused to take domestic flights so she would fly fly (HK based) Dragonair from SH to HK then HK to Beijing. Personally I think that's a bit extreme.
chingiskhan
Board Legend
Board Legend

Postby elektra16 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:52 pm

How about Nestle bottled water? any bad reviews on that?
What kind of water is the best for drinking? I read about distilled, purified, etc.
elektra16

Postby Dallas_ » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:04 pm

I read that bottled water is less safe than water in the tap: water in taps flows, bottled water doesn't.
We specialize in China. Google "breakwall vpn"
Dallas_
Barker
Barker

Postby bigroh74 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:19 pm

Dallas_ wrote:I read that bottled water is less safe than water in the tap: water in taps flows, bottled water doesn't.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Absolutely.That's why you must shake bottled water for at least five minutes before drinking.
bigroh74
Veejay
Veejay

Postby scotch » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:35 pm

All these waters mentioned are distilled water, and all of them are worse than the standards in Western countries. Nongfu Spring is the worst by far.
scotch
Rocker
Rocker

Postby austfella » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:50 pm

Make sure that you order directly from the companies through their official order hotlines. I have seen flyers lying around our apartment for delivery of big water bottles. They look legitimate suppliers but the phone numbers do not match the official hotlines. I suspect they might be fake suppliers selling you tap waters.
austfella
Seeker
Seeker

Postby bigroh74 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:48 pm

scotch wrote:All these waters mentioned are distilled water, and all of them are worse than the standards in Western countries. Nongfu Spring is the worst by far.

Nongfu Spring is mineral water and one of the best.
bigroh74
Veejay
Veejay

Postby Danielm103 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:23 pm

I do Nestle 18rmb , I also have a nice filter at the kitchen tap for cooking (soups etc.)
People’s Daily: "Chinese shouldn’t compete with United States because Westerners have bigger chests and heads"
Danielm103
Rocker
Rocker

Postby lowlight » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:50 pm

for those who are overly paranoid, there is really so much more stuff that will kill you in shanghai than bottled water.
lowlight
Barker
Barker

Postby elektra16 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:41 pm

Also, I aware that if water is too pure, it lacks essential minerals that our bodies need. What do those who buy pure water think of that in contrast?
elektra16

Postby Sputnik-11 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:59 pm

bigroh74 wrote:
Dallas_ wrote:I read that bottled water is less safe than water in the tap: water in taps flows, bottled water doesn't.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Absolutely.That's why you must shake bottled water for at least five minutes before drinking.

Hahahah. I've only just started reading this thread. And this post just made my evening. Thanks.
Sputnik-11
Reacher
Reacher

Postby Englishwang » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:18 pm

elektra16 wrote:The water here in China is heard to have more heavy metals and increasing chlorine over the years... where is a good place to get a reliable source of good water?

There seems to be lots of brand and type of water in Shanghai. I'm not sure which ones are good. I read about Nestle, Nungfu spring, Watsons, Waterman, etc.

I believe Louie from Pureliving does a lot of independent precise tests (if not a few) over tap water or filtered water for residents living in Shanghai who worry about water quality. From what I heard from him, most of them or virtually all are with a positive result in terms of heavy metals content like the most often worrying Arsonic,lead or mercury. In other words, they are within the safe range not just following the Chinese standard.( Actually there is no much difference between international standards and Chinese standards for safe water with regard to different elements in water. Chlorine is one of few exception.)

From my experiences, the most "scary" part of tap water here is an issue of chemicals and solids including sands, iron, copper dioxide instead of heavy metals.The TDS( total dissolved solids) reading here for the tap water was over 500 2 years ago and now just over 200 for most of the places in Shanghai since the change of the tap weater source, while the bottled water through reverse osmosis systems or distillation based systems is cleaner and lower than 50 by TDS. So comparatively speaking, the bottled water through good suppliers does make a good choice for drinking water.

As far as I know, Nestle and Watson have 2 kinds of bottled water, pure and mineral, while Nongfu and Waterman has mainly mineral water. There are already some posts discussing health impact of pure water, which are very helpful. Though that's controversial and with no conclusion so far, it seems that more people are prone for mineral water as healthy drinking water. However, just as some experts suggested, for kids lower than 2 years, better to feed them pure water or use pure water for their formula as their organs are still too young to digest the minerals.
Englishwang
Seeker
Seeker

Postby Dallas_ » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:16 pm

bigroh74 you are hilarious.
We specialize in China. Google "breakwall vpn"
Dallas_
Barker
Barker

Postby roude-leif » Tue May 08, 2012 5:22 pm

I have just had a very bad experience with Nestle (theft of tickets followed by complete stone-walling of call-centre staff, manager always 'out'). I haven't experienced any others (yet, will obviously switch now), but based on this experience, they must all be better even considering general service levels in China.
roude-leif

Postby monalisalee » Tue May 08, 2012 8:02 pm

Man! I just looove the tap water, and been on it for many years, after finding black gunk coming out of the compound coin machine.
Get all my essential minerals for free.
Keep your best friends close by, but keep your enemies closer!
monalisalee
Board Royalty
Board Royalty

Postby sugarbumbee » Tue May 08, 2012 9:42 pm

Englishwang wrote:
elektra16 wrote:The water here in China is heard to have more heavy metals and increasing chlorine over the years... where is a good place to get a reliable source of good water?

I believe Louie from Pureliving does a lot of independent precise tests (if not a few) over tap water or filtered water for residents living in Shanghai who worry about water quality. From what I heard from him, most of them or virtually all are with a positive result in terms of heavy metals content like the most often worrying Arsonic,lead or mercury. In other words, they are within the safe range not just following the Chinese standard.( Actually there is no much difference between international standards and Chinese standards for safe water with regard to different elements in water. Chlorine is one of few exception.)

From my experiences, the most "scary" part of tap water here is an issue of chemicals and solids including sands, iron, copper dioxide instead of heavy metals.The TDS( total dissolved solids) reading here for the tap water was over 500 2 years ago and now just over 200 for most of the places in Shanghai since the change of the tap weater source, while the bottled water through reverse osmosis systems or distillation based systems is cleaner and lower than 50 by TDS. So comparatively speaking, the bottled water through good suppliers does make a good choice for drinking water.

As far as I know, Nestle and Watson have 2 kinds of bottled water, pure and mineral, while Nongfu and Waterman has mainly mineral water. There are already some posts discussing health impact of pure water, which are very helpful. Though that's controversial and with no conclusion so far, it seems that more people are prone for mineral water as healthy drinking water. However, just as some experts suggested, for kids lower than 2 years, better to feed them pure water or use pure water for their formula as their organs are still too young to digest the minerals.

Thanks for the very helpful comment. we are moving to SH in June with our 8 month old and i am started to get worried about nanny, formula, water etc. Pure water means distilled water? do i still have to boil the distill water?
sugarbumbee

Postby erin722 » Tue May 08, 2012 10:03 pm

IMHO, most expats don't drink tap water at home (where it is probably absolutely safe to do so), so why the hell would you start to drink it in SH?

Unless you actually drink raw tap water, filters are just a waste of money... a whole-house filter so you can flush the toilet with wonderfully pure water??

1. Use bottled water for drinking (coffee, tea, soup, baby formula etc)
2. Buy a shower head filter (to remove/neutralize chlorine which can irritate your skin and nasal mucosa).
3. Boiling spaghetti in tap water isn't going to kill you.
4. Brushing your teeth in tap water isn't going to kill you.
5. SH isn't Mexico - the water isn't going to make you violently ill!
erin722
Ranter
Ranter

Postby Klick » Tue May 08, 2012 10:15 pm

erin722 wrote:Unless you actually drink raw tap water, filters are just a waste of money... a whole-house filter so you can flush the toilet with wonderfully pure water??

Depends on where you live. Out on the western side of town for example, the water can be quite metallic which can discolour and degrade your clothing over (a rather short period of) time in the laundry, and a whole house filter is quite effective for removing these metals so not having to buy new clothes offsets some of the cost. then also you don't need a shower or bath filter as well. Might still want to use bottle or get an ROI for drinking water though, as the whole house filters don't perform quite as well on this front. Perfectly acceptable for cooking and washing fruit & veg though.
Cack, my blog is buggered.
Klick
Post Roaster
Post Roaster

Postby monalisalee » Tue May 08, 2012 10:43 pm

Erin: As usual do not agree with you.
I drink tap water back home, but prob. the purest Country in the World, or close.

I use tap water for all cooking, coffee, tea, and adding to whisky etc. (oops)
But do not drink straight, as prefer other fings.

As Click says, can vary all over town, but as the posts say the general water quality is much improved over what it used to be.
monalisalee
Board Royalty
Board Royalty

Postby erin722 » Tue May 08, 2012 10:47 pm

Fairly inexpensive filters can be had to remove iron/rust/other sediment from tap water. While these whole-house systems probably work, my point is just that most of the water goes down the drain and not into your glass. So you're literately flushing money down the drain.

If money is not object and you just want it cuz you want it, then go ahead. But for rational people, there is little objective need to get a whole-house system if you don't plan on actually drinking the water that comes out of it.
erin722
Ranter
Ranter

Postby erin722 » Tue May 08, 2012 10:48 pm

monalisalee wrote:Erin: As usual do not agree with you.
I drink tap water back home, but prob. the purest Country in the World, or close.

I use tap water for all cooking, coffee, tea, and adding to whisky etc. (oops)
But do not drink straight, as prefer other fings.

As Click says, can vary all over town, but as the posts say the general water quality is much improved over what it used to be.

And as usual you write like you've had a bit too much whiskey because it is almost total gibberish.
erin722
Ranter
Ranter

Postby monalisalee » Tue May 08, 2012 11:16 pm

Pathetic erin:
Please point out the gibberish, and please spell whisky correctly.
As a 32 year old "Know it all" fresh off the boat, I truly hope you stay single,
I HATE to see other good people destroyed.
monalisalee
Board Royalty
Board Royalty

Postby bigroh74 » Tue May 08, 2012 11:18 pm

erin722 wrote:IMHO, most expats don't drink tap water at home (where it is probably absolutely safe to do so), so why the hell would you start to drink it in SH?

We all drink tap water in the UK. And all the Americans who arrive in our office usually say "I hear you shouldn't drink the tap water here" which would indicate they do at home.
bigroh74
Veejay
Veejay

Next

Return to Shanghai Lifestyle