Hair loss since arriving in Shanghai

Hair loss since arriving in Shanghai

Postby messytree » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:07 pm

started 5 months ago when I arrived, thought it might be stress of moving to a new city etc.

but now 5 months in, life is stress free, and it's getting worse. I notice a lot of men & women here have thinning hair, even the young people. Diet? Lifestyle? Pollution?

Any advice? :?
messytree

Re: Hair loss since arriving in Shanghai

Postby SoFarSoGood » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:51 pm

Yes, yes and yes. You ruled out stress already, good for you. You might want to add water to your. list.
The fate of all mankind I see Is in the hands of fools. King Crimson - Epitaph
SoFarSoGood
PopStar
PopStar

Postby Vin_drikker » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:12 am

Rogaine time friend.

-Mathias
Vin_drikker
Talker
Talker

Postby condesa » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:35 am

OP,
Shanghai water is full of heavy metals (Aluminum, mercury, etc) and that tends to affect your hair (dry, frizzy and quite often 'specially women' excessive hair loss).
You may want to buy yourself of shower filter - either the 'babyshower' if you have deep pockets if not most local 'neighborhood' hardware stores sell this type of showerheads (with pearls inside that filter the water) and they cost around 70 rmb. They work........................................

Also you may want to pick up some hair/nails vitamins at WHS store or your local Watsons to help your lost hair to grow up.
condesa
Fire-eater
Fire-eater

Postby since1997 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:06 pm

Get your doctor to test for heavy metals.

I ran into a classmate on my last trip home who had hair loss and her doctor's kept blaming stress. After 9 months of desperation as it worsened she finally talked to a different doctor who tested for heavy metals and it turns out she had mercury poisoning. She had been eating canned tuna twice a day (loved the stuff) and even in the UK it has a small amount. Not enough to affect you if you eat twice a week, but eat enough and it adds up (here who knows what the levels are?). Within weeks of stopping she started to feel better and her hair improved noticeably.

Its part of the reason I eat only small amounts of seafood here. In China I completely avoid filter feeding shellfish, which also tend to collect heavy metals.
since1997
Talker
Talker

Postby Medea » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:04 pm

Could also be the shampoo. (After switching to imported shampoo and shower filter I don't have the hair loss problem anymore)
I support Jaiya's Animal Rescue (JAR)
Medea
Fire-eater
Fire-eater

Postby Willtryanything » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:21 pm

messytree wrote:started 5 months ago when I arrived, thought it might be stress of moving to a new city etc.

but now 5 months in, life is stress free, and it's getting worse. I notice a lot of men & women here have thinning hair, even the young people. Diet? Lifestyle? Pollution?

<-----Perfect time to get a tattoo!!!
Willtryanything
Barker
Barker

Postby prego2000 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:31 pm

You may want to buy yourself of shower filter - either the 'babyshower' if you have deep pockets

The ShowerBaby. Has anyone used this?

http://english.obusiness.cn/yhhnj/en/water/sb.jsp
#STALINGRAD
prego2000
Fire-eater
Fire-eater

Postby sambista » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:43 am

prego2000 wrote:
You may want to buy yourself of shower filter - either the 'babyshower' if you have deep pockets

yes. do a search, and you'll see we've talked about the hair loss and the shower baby. for me, best investment since i moved here. and one of the most professionally run businesses i've dealt with in shanghai.
'The universe is full of magical things, patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper.' - Eden Phillpotts
sambista
LoopKicker
LoopKicker

Postby condesa » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:48 am

prego2000 wrote:The ShowerBaby. Has anyone used this?

^YES, it works. I've used it myself and MANY of my friends have used it as sooner or later your hair goes to the crapper once you move to Shanghai (at least if you are a female) and I can tell you that everybody I've spoke to will tell you the same IT WORKS.

Cheap is not BUT is a nice alternative than to go bald :?
condesa
Fire-eater
Fire-eater

Postby crivens200 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:30 am

prego2000 wrote:

Is this product designed and manufactured by a foreigner? Not sure I would trust it to be anything but a cheap plastic shower head if a Chinese person was responsible for the Company.
crivens200
Low Seater
Low Seater

Postby sambista » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:41 am

crivens200 wrote:
prego2000 wrote:

Is this product designed and manufactured by a foreigner? Not sure I would trust it to be anything but a cheap plastic shower head if a Chinese person was responsible for the Company.

that's awfully narrow-minded, wouldn't you say?

answering the question for the rest of you, i can say that i've lived in nearly a dozen cities in the u.s., and i know "hard" water from "soft" water. as soon as i had the shower baby installed, i could tell how the water had changed from hard to soft. apart from improving the condition of my hair, my skin condition has improved, too. the shower flow decreases noticeably when it's time to replace the filter, and when david's guy comes and removes that old filter, well . . . unless it's smoke and mirrors, the evidence of what the filter collected is plain to see.
'The universe is full of magical things, patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper.' - Eden Phillpotts
sambista
LoopKicker
LoopKicker

Postby Willtryanything » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:39 am

Anyone know how/where we can test for metal in water?
Willtryanything
Barker
Barker

Postby JasUK » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:46 pm

Willtryanything wrote:
messytree wrote:started 5 months ago when I arrived, thought it might be stress of moving to a new city etc.

<-----Perfect time to get a tattoo!!!

Good idea.
Get little Rabbits tattooed over your head and from a distance they will look like Hares !!!!! :lol:
JasUK
Rocker
Rocker

Postby Mister_happy » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:37 pm

Our appartment has the water treatment/softner installed, it only eats 120KG of salt a year. I can tell when the salt bunker needs to be topped up as the soap no long lathers and to get a bubble bath you need a 50/50mix of water and soap!
I'm not saying I should kill ALL the stupid people, I'm just removing the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out!
Mister_happy
Fire-eater
Fire-eater

Postby Draracle » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:15 pm

Yep I also had the hair loss when I first came here. It was a problem with the disgusting water and I've since rectified the problem.
Draracle
Rocker
Rocker

Postby topaz90 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:07 pm

I have the same problem at autumn and winter, it's the climate that make great sense.Don't worry if the situation is not so bad...I have heard that everyday your hair loss within one hundred is normal
Enough talk, let's do it now !
topaz90
Seeker
Seeker

Postby crivens200 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:28 pm

I was looking at a photo of myself from when I first arrived in China 12 years ago and my hair has turned white and my gut is now huge.

I wonder if it's the water? Would a filter rectify the problem?
crivens200
Low Seater
Low Seater

Postby prego2000 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:28 pm

I called those Shower Baby peeps to inquire about buying one. They said all sold out. Drat.
#STALINGRAD
prego2000
Fire-eater
Fire-eater

Postby Johnson02 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:06 pm

First got here, every time I shampoo will hair, and very serious, I replaced a different shampoo also been to the hospital, or not effective, there is no better way, thank you
Johnson02
Squeeker
Squeeker

Postby MarvinHC » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:13 pm

Has anyone tried one of the showerfilters that are being sold on Taobao?

There seems to be plenty of choice and in all price ranges, hard to chosse one, so any practical advice would be appreciated!

Here are a couple I found:

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a23 ... vmhpg02a99

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a23 ... vmhpg0f523

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a23 ... vmhpg0671f

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a23 ... vmhpg03562

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a23 ... vmhpg0a3d0
MarvinHC
FooJay
FooJay

Postby KaileyAbril » Wed May 13, 2015 6:15 am

I have regrown full head hairs. This is nishant n will like to share my experience. After struggling hard, i found way to get hairs back naturaly. my hairs started falling n thiniing 3 yrs back, i was almost bald. i tried every oil, shampoo n treatments available in market including richfeel n dr. batra. but disappointed as i wasted money n time. so i thought of treating my hairs internaly as ur body indicates u something going wrong by shading hairs. i studied a lot on this n finaly made a strategy for hairs considering all causes of hairloss. i am following this from last 5 months and i can see all my hairs growing back without any surgery or costly treament :]. very happy to see them again. provide all vital things that ur body needs in right quantity and see all your hairs growing back again.
KaileyAbril

Postby Shanghai Noob » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:52 am

denisfr wrote:That is right, hair loss is usually a signal of a weakness in body balance.

Bad sleep is also an important cause of hair loss. For various reasons, you may need sleep more in China.

Yes, I slept lots over the weekend, long lie in on Sunday and woke up with a full beard and dreadlocks.
Shanghai Noob
FooJay
FooJay

Postby Moonlighting » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:37 pm

Yeah, I've got plenty of hair growth, just not on my head! I wish more of it would fall out, but body hair seems to be a permanent attachment.
Moonlighting
SuperStar
SuperStar

Postby vs587617 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:24 pm

Hair loss problem need best solution and today we can see that there number peoples are suffering from this issue and they all are finding best solution. Today if we go for hair transplantation surgery then it will be a good choice because this surgical treatment solve hair loss problem permanently without any side effects and today lot of peoples have natural hair on bald scalp with the help of hair transplant surgery.
vs587617

Postby carltonxc » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:22 pm

Anyone who tried special shower head find it useful?

I noticed many local people have this problem while Chinese in other parts of China have their hair.
So I guess it maybe the water or something from local environment.
carltonxc

Postby shanghaibee » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:06 am

search "swimmer's hair" on the internet.
cause is chemicals/metals in the water.
solution is special shampoos or water filters.
shanghaibee
Talker
Talker

Postby katherine77 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:01 am

1. Meditation: meditation activates the rest and digest part of our nervous systems, helping with stress management.
2. Coloring books are starting to pop up all over.They're ideal for individuals of all ages looking to relax and use their creativity.
3. Lavender: It can be used aromatically, topically, or even added to a bath to melt away feelings of stress and tension.
4. Tea: a cup of tea that slows my whole body and mind down.
5. Movement: exercise is considered vital for maintaining mental fitness, and it can reduce stress.
6. Sounds: Listening to relaxing music and sounds can be extremely soothing in the face of stress.
katherine77
Squeeker
Squeeker

Postby zhengheren » Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:47 pm

I used shower head with 3-part filter, and had all water filtered for any use at all. Kitchen dishes were washed in filtered water, 3-passes through a sand/heavy metal/charcoal filter.
zhengheren
Talker
Talker

Postby shobhituva » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:49 pm

Its the the combination of all plus water that you use for bathing. Water could be the major reason for your hair loss. Do not worry try some home remedies and do not use oil on your hair if you use.. You might be suffering from fungal infection if water is the major cause of your hair fall.. So stop using any kind of hair oil first... Try out some home remedies and you'll start noticing the decrease in hair fall, instead of taking medicines as well.
shobhituva

Next

Return to Health Care