Fudan or Jiao Tung?

Fudan or Jiao Tung?

Postby jshan » Fri May 31, 2013 6:40 am

Hi there, my daughter who is 16 will go to study Chinese (total beginner) in September in either Fudan or Jiao Tung university for a year. She will live with her uncle who lives in Wah shan road. I wonder which is better for her...anybody can help? Thank you!
jshan

Re: Fudan or Jiao Tung?

Postby Chavster » Fri May 31, 2013 8:39 am

Fudan is better for serious study. Jiaotong if she likes to partaay.
" Once, it was I who stood in the big, cold schoolroom, a hot crumpet burning my cheeks with shame. Since that day, I have been busy every hour God sent, working to become Prime Minister and fight sloth and privilege wherever I found it."

- Pitt the Younger
Chavster
Low Seater
Low Seater

Postby jshan » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:39 am

Thanks Chavster! I suppose you are speaking from personal experience then?
jshan

Postby wonderer » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:50 pm

Much as Chavster says, Fudan has the highest reputation, but is in the middle of nowhere. Jiaotong is also good, and right next to Xujiahui or the former French concession, so a much more convenient and enjoyable place to be.

There is no "Wah shan" road, and "wah" does not exist in pinyin Mandarin. Typo? Or are you using Taiwanese romanization? Since you also wrote Jiaotong as "Jiao Tung".
wonderer
PopStar
PopStar

Postby AussiePat » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:01 pm

Huashan Rd?
AussiePat
Raver
Raver

Postby jshan » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:55 pm

Yes I meant Huashan Rd. Thanks for the correction! How far roughly from Huashan rd to Fudan campus? As a parent I do want to avoid the party scene for a 16 yrs old...after all her purpose of being there is to learn Chinese. I have also heard that Fudan's classes have breaks between 45 mins instead of Jiao Tung's 90mins. My daughter has ADD (I presume this is not very widely understood in China's education system?) so I think Fudan is better for her maybe...

Thanks for all you guys response so far!! x
jshan

Postby wonderer » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:29 am

Jiaotong U is on Huashan Road. Fudan U is much further away, about an hour by taxi, and it has no near subway stop, so quite a commute.

In one of my Chinese language classes was a Chinese Indonesian girl, 17 if I recall. She was shy but seemed to get along fine, I guess partly because there were so many other Chinese Indonesians, so she could make friends. Nice people BTW
wonderer
PopStar
PopStar

Piano teacher near Huashan Road

Postby jshan » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:49 am

Can anybody recommend a great piano teacher who can speak English? It's for my daughter who is 16 and she is going to study Chinese for a year in SH. She wants to keep going with her piano. Preferably somebody who is inspiring and great at teaching and fun, not strict. If you can give an idea of cost it will be great too. Thanks for helping!
jshan

Postby AC5891 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:48 am

Well if it's only for Chinese I know that a few friends changed from Fudan to Jiaotong and Tongji University
AC5891
Raver
Raver

Re: Piano teacher near Huashan Road

Postby lushmandarin » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:37 am

Would you consider another option like Home Stay? We have one home stay family that perfectly fits your situation. It's a friendly local family, with also one daughter. The daughter in this family can speak English and teach piano. Your daughter can experience the local life, learn Chinese and also learn piano at the same time.
jshan wrote:Can anybody recommend a great piano teacher who can speak English? It's for my daughter who is 16 and she is going to study Chinese for a year in SH. She wants to keep going with her piano. Preferably somebody who is inspiring and great at teaching and fun, not strict. If you can give an idea of cost it will be great too. Thanks for helping!
lushmandarin

Postby Chavster » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:37 am

jshan wrote:Thanks Chavster! I suppose you are speaking from personal experience then?

I speak from the experience of a classroom full of bored taitais, unemployed club bouncers, graphic designers working on X-visas, French sleazos on scooters and 60year old pervs hanging out in the cafeteria.
" Once, it was I who stood in the big, cold schoolroom, a hot crumpet burning my cheeks with shame. Since that day, I have been busy every hour God sent, working to become Prime Minister and fight sloth and privilege wherever I found it."

- Pitt the Younger
Chavster
Low Seater
Low Seater

Postby wonderer » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:29 pm

How do I join this class?

I have employment opportunities for all of them
wonderer
PopStar
PopStar

Postby Chavster » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:27 pm

wonderer wrote:How do I join this class?

I have employment opportunities for all of them

Yeah I didn't say it was all bad. :wink:
Just not very helpful for learning Chinese.

- Pitt the Younger
Chavster
Low Seater
Low Seater

Postby Diomedes » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:12 pm

jshan wrote: My daughter has ADD (I presume this is not very widely understood in China's education system?)

I've looked into it and not only is ADD "not very widely understood" here - aderall is downright illegal anywhere outside of the US. If she comes with it, or any other western medication for "misunderstood" afflictions then I highly recommend she stocks up on all kinds of paperwork before coming - doctors notes, prescriptions, a notarized note with a description of what the drug does that has been translated into Chinese - and maybe even contacting the US envoy to alert them to your coming with potentially jail-able medications.

Maybe something to think of before sending her here.

And if she comes anyway, then please pick up an extra 40 pills for me because I fricken love that stuff.
Diomedes
Rocker
Rocker

Postby jshan » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:22 pm

Hi Diomedes, thanks so much for your heads up on this. The good news is that she is a high function ADD and not taking any drug but perhaps need some understanding from the teachers as it might appear that she is not as attentive as she should be in her lessons and I would imagine this won't do down very well with the traditional Chinese teachers...
jshan

Postby zeny » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:32 am

wonderer wrote:Jiaotong U is on Huashan Road. Fudan U is much further away, about an hour by taxi, and it has no near subway stop, so quite a commute.

In one of my Chinese language classes was a Chinese Indonesian girl, 17 if I recall. She was shy but seemed to get along fine, I guess partly because there were so many other Chinese Indonesians, so she could make friends. Nice people BTW

Fudan is in Puxi, the old downtown of shanghai. It is not in the middle of nowhere.

Fudan is actually quite close to a subway station. I walk to fudan from my place in yangpu near Wujiaochang(五角场)almost daily. It is in a nice, quiet area next to a park and a few decent restaurants. Wujiaochang(五角场) station is a stop number on line 10 on the Shanghai metro. The people around here are very friendly and there are a few neighboring universities and a lot of sports complexes. I wouldn't say it is an hour commute either.

I'm just realizing how late of a bump this is, but i thought it would be helpful information. I hope your daughter had a good time!
zeny
Seeker
Seeker

Postby usamaninsh » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:07 pm

Fudan is more comprehensive and more famous in China
usamaninsh
Seeker
Seeker

Postby mesmerized » Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:25 am

Does anyone know if FuDan offers evening Mandarin classes? Thanks
mesmerized
Squeeker
Squeeker

Postby inma » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:50 pm

Hi! I am checking also the universities to find the best option to learn chinese. It seems that the better schools for that are Fudan or Jiao Tung. Anybody recommends the courses offered by the University of Shanghai??

http://school.cucas.edu.cn/HomePage/60/
http://school.cucas.edu.cn/course/detai ... rseid=7000
inma

Postby 1988wave » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:27 am

I'm Chinese, in Shanghai.I want to find a foreign female friend(Overseas student), speak fluent English, also want to learn the Chinese language. We can teach each other and is free of charge. The time and place can be discussed. If you are interested, please add my QQ chat 527847396
1988wave

Postby translator57 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:53 pm

Any up to date info on these courses? Anyone done a full-time one year course at either Jiaotong, Fudan, Donghua, E.China Normal or SH International Unis? Thanks.
translator57
Reacher
Reacher

Postby gen221996 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:53 pm

Planning to study next year at Fudan, Any suggestions ? Hows the food , classes and also any gym reccommendations ? Which dorm is better The main one or supplementary ? Thank you ! :D
gen221996

Return to Universities For Chinese Studies