8%
Found a job through headhunters
8%
What job?
13%

Total votes : 40

How did you find your job in China?

Postby shanghaiexpateditor » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:23 pm

What's most important when looking for a job in Shanghai/ China? Skills? Qualifications? Networking? What helped you to find your job?
shanghaiexpateditor

Re: How did you find your job in China?

Postby Artefact » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:21 pm

you might want to add, found a job through headhunters, which is different of networking or replying to an ad
TIC=This is China vs TWC=This was China
Artefact
LoopKicker
LoopKicker

Postby SatinJ » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:14 pm

Well,maybe I am really old-fashioned but I was always told (by my wife as well) that guangxi is really the only way to survive and succeed in China.
And this is actually true if I have to talk from personal experience.
However, that should not stop you from coming to China even if you have no connections at all.
This is the right place to build your network, just give it some time.
SatinJ
Squeeker
Squeeker

Postby jace829 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:29 am

that's guanxi without the "g" :D
I applied online without any guanxi whatsoever and managed to land the interview and the job. A bit of luck is required but don't give up. It took me months and tons of applications and very few replies.
jace829
Lurker
Lurker

Postby XiaoyuShanghai » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:19 pm

Linkedin is efficient too
XiaoyuShanghai
Talker
Talker

Postby xiguan » Thu May 05, 2016 1:09 pm

Networking!
xiguan
Seeker
Seeker

Postby bennyhenny84 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:02 pm

Hi all, I wonder if you can help me. I am conducting research into how Shanghai expatriate workers within the IT, Web and Design fields engage with continuing professional development. I have created a short questionnaire which takes less than 10 minutes to complete http://bit.ly/2wEHRAc VPN required. I would appreciate it very much if you could share your opinions on the subject. Many thanks
bennyhenny84

Postby Melanie444 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:42 am

This is a very useful thread for me as recently my husband has been suggested to work in China. So, I think about looking for a job for me there. I've been learning web design through building websites by means of different car cleaning company wordpress templates, and I hope that my occupation will be connected with my new skills. I'm going to check your information, thanks for sharing, guys!
Melanie444
Lurker
Lurker

Postby mikepete » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:33 pm

Echinacities vs. LinkedIn - Job Searching Experience in China for Newies

Throughout my five-years-long living experience in China, I have changed 3 jobs in two different cities - Beijing and Shanghai. Yes, it's true that guanxi is very important in China and I realized it after the second year, but in first year I had no wide network built yet due to lack of my cultural and language skills.

So, for those beginners, who feel the same thing as I felt four years ago I simply suggest to try to use online job platforms. For myself, at the beginning I was simply using LinkedIn to find some internships while I was taking Chinese courses in Beijing. Well, some companies would reply, but there was a relatively high competition, especially for a person who didn't have any Chinese language skills back then. But then one of my friends have suggested me to check a job market platform on a website called http://www.echinacities.com/ , and it actually worked. Since then I've been using that website, as my preferred one for job hunting in China, and even my last job (where I work already for more than a year) i still found in eChinacities.

You can also try look for some other websites with similar features, there is number of similar websites.

It's just my personal experience that I want share with public, hope you can find it useful.
mikepete

Return to Job Market