Latest on Astrill VPN?

Latest on Astrill VPN?

Postby Dr.Glitz » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:48 am

Hi all,
Please PM me if you know of a successful workaround for the recent block of Astrill's VPN servers. I'm gutted that I can't currently watch coverage of Scotland thrashing France in yesterday's 6 nations game...

Thanks,
Dr.G.
Dr.Glitz
Barker
Barker

Re: Latest on Astrill VPN?

Postby dorianR » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:11 am

does open web still not working?
dorianR
Seeker
Seeker

Postby bigroh74 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:57 am

Stealth mode has always worked. Openweb should be back in business soon with the ending of the Beijing sessions. Fingers crossed.
bigroh74
Veejay
Veejay

Postby dorianR » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:30 pm

Yeah i guess so... stealth mode actually works i know but only one server! that's very annoying!
This Beijing - hell - session is already 2 weeks goes on
dorianR
Seeker
Seeker

Postby knockknock » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:28 pm

Stealth was working for me this morning and early afternoon. Now, can't connect to any server. :x
knockknock
Seeker
Seeker

Postby shanghaiexpateditor » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:00 pm

knockknock wrote:Stealth was working for me this morning and early afternoon. Now, can't connect to any server. :x

Try Lantern. http://www.shanghaiexpat.com/blog/shang ... 39305.html It's faster than Astrill was before the crackdown and it's completely free.
shanghaiexpateditor

Postby Dr.Glitz » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:44 am

I am reliably informed that all of this will be behind us after the weekend...

Ok, maybe not 'reliably'...

Let's wait and see.
Dr.Glitz
Barker
Barker

Postby burrito » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:02 pm

Dr.Glitz wrote:I am reliably informed that all of this will be behind us after the weekend...

Ok, maybe not 'reliably'...

Let's wait and see.

It's never going to be "behind us" until there is a Soviet-like collapse and you don't have to use the VPN at all. There will always be the normal censorship along with the overly oppressive censorship they impose during meetings/parades/etc.

To quote Tyrion Lannister, "“When you cut out a man’s tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you’re only telling the world that you fear what he might say.”

Until the government quits fearing what people might say (or just stops caring), people will have to live with this crap internet that makes the 56K dial-up I had in the 90s look like a fiber connection.
burrito
Reacher
Reacher

Postby nliang » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:40 am

New desktop app has been released. OpenWeb mode has been much improved and now working well. I haven't seen any announcements yet but the download links are live on the Astrill web site.
nliang

Postby dorianR » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:22 am

yeah... but there are just a few server and all from US. Hope they will restore all the server asap
dorianR
Seeker
Seeker

Postby shanghaiexpateditor » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:20 pm

dorianR wrote:yeah... but there are just a few server and all from US. Hope they will restore all the server asap

Astrill update http://www.shanghaiexpat.com/blog/commu ... 39331.html
shanghaiexpateditor

Postby dorianR » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:17 am

astrill2.jpg
This is today
astrill2.jpg (93.92 KiB) Viewed 6773 times
as3.jpg
This was yesterday

Stay away from astrill!
dorianR
Seeker
Seeker

Postby Big-K » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:57 am

Astrill was working fine for me, until today, at the moment I can't even log on, same problem as dorianR.
statistics are just like mini-skirts……they suggest a lot but hide the essential parts.
Big-K
Reacher
Reacher

Postby bigroh74 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:15 am

Big-K wrote:Astrill was working fine for me, until today, at the moment I can't even log on, same problem as dorianR.

Got a message today from Astrill, which is working fine for me, to stop mentioning it on social media as the censors are taking note.
bigroh74
Veejay
Veejay

Postby hardvibes » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:23 am

Big-K wrote:Astrill was working fine for me, until today, at the moment I can't even log on, same problem as dorianR.

Same here since 11 am
At 8 am it was fine.
hardvibes
Seeker
Seeker

Postby MarkTimick » Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:18 pm

Same here.
We hv family plan, one computer says: change your password,
another said, you are already logged in (eventhough not), al
others say: no internet connection, cant connect.

Support did not reply yet.

I dont think mentioning the name as any consequence, do you really think they wouldnt know of VPNs ? Fascinating to see how they just
flip a switch and off it is ... and annoying. Internet is major reason might leave rather sooner than later, managing overseas websites and social media from China sucks ..
MarkTimick
Lurker
Lurker

Postby bigroh74 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:20 pm

MarkTimick wrote:I dont think mentioning the name as any consequence

The aforementioned VPN doesn't agree with you.
bigroh74
Veejay
Veejay

Postby hardvibes » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:37 am

Now they want us to change password. Ridiculous
I'm sick of having different passwords everywhere
hardvibes
Seeker
Seeker

Postby Big-K » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:49 am

just found out that I updated Astrill 2 days ago, and now it's not working anymore, the Ms did not update hers and its still working perfect
statistics are just like mini-skirts……they suggest a lot but hide the essential parts.
Big-K
Reacher
Reacher

Postby Big-K » Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:54 pm

Update: received a message from Astrill telling me to change my password, after that it works perfect again :D
Big-K
Reacher
Reacher

Postby seabass » Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:26 pm

Get lantern....free and it's faster than Astrill was before the parliamentary meetings..
seabass
Barker
Barker

Postby san5324 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:32 pm

Maybe you guys should stop mention your van's name on a public forum.

I never mentioned mine and never will. Astrill is killed by people in China. Don't let this happen to others either.
"Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself makes you fearless." - Lao Tzu
san5324
Veejay
Veejay

Latest on Astrill VPN?

Postby poloralf » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:01 pm

Edited
Last edited by poloralf on Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
poloralf
Seeker
Seeker

Postby hardvibes » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:44 pm

poloralf could you please remove the attachment?
It says "PLEASE NEVER POST/COPY OUR MESSAGES ON THE INTERNET"
hardvibes
Seeker
Seeker

Postby poloralf » Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:04 am

I removed
poloralf
Seeker
Seeker

Postby nikocord » Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:55 am

For some people a "Please never" apparently means "You have to" . 3-5 year old kids are usually behaving like this.

If you're paranoid, please stop reading here.

There is another question that came to my mind some time ago: Why the CN Gov desn't invest into theire own VPN provider, so they could supervise everything that's going though the VPN and nobody would ever know. Or do you know who is the owner of your VPN service provider?
nikocord
Seeker
Seeker

Postby john56477 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:23 am

@nikocord
VPN service provider is only middle man making money
its not hard to make your own VPN. All you need is a server.
This you can buy on taobao for 200 RMB, or rent for $5/year

Education and determination can bypass stupid everytime.
john56477
Seeker
Seeker

Postby nikocord » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:16 pm

@john56477
That's not new to me, but what I wanted to say is, why they don't offer something like Astrill, Expresss etc.. because most people will not rent theire own server, but buy a service at a middleman.
nikocord
Seeker
Seeker

Postby LtSaw » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:12 am

nikocord wrote:For some people a "Please never" apparently means "You have to" . 3-5 year old kids are usually behaving like this.

If you're paranoid, please stop reading here.

There is another question that came to my mind some time ago: Why the CN Gov desn't invest into theire own VPN provider, so they could supervise everything that's going though the VPN and nobody would ever know. Or do you know who is the owner of your VPN service provider?

Holy sh*t, not this sh*tagain. STFU please if you have no clue what you are talking about. Astrill are just buttmad about them being targeted the most because it's most used VPN in China.

Their support is the one who talks to their clients like they are 3-5 year old children. It is completely moronic and treats everyone like morons. For people understanding how things work this is laughable.

Hell, even with people who don't lack common sense. Do you think that no one on GFW team didn't thought about signing up for Astrill and tracking all the servers/datacenters they host their VPNs on?

Astrill is just using common data centers throughout the world (not even premium one, just cheap crap), same centers where you can buy your own VPS for a year, slap some Linux distro and run OpenVPN/SSTP/etc completely privately for about the same amount of money.

Only reason people who know **** (like me :mrgreen: ) even use Astrill is because I can use it more easily on mobile phone and computers where I don't want to setup my private VPN on.

If you want VPN that is not going down every time party wants it to - don't use any VPN that is public. No matter what you say online, party doesn't even check that ****. It's cheaper to buy subscriptions to every major VPN provider and run automated script that updates all available nodes and ports used for OpenVPN, since PPTP, L2TP and SSTP ports and protocols are fixed standard.

All they have to do is flip the switch when needed to kill any access to those ports on those IPs/subnetworks whenever they need. They don't need to read about that **** on random expat forums.

As I said, it doesn't matter what Astrill pushes down your idiotic throats, it's just saving face and powerless frustration blaming the user. They know that even if no one talked about Astrill they would still be blocked if Party would want it.

If you want working VPN - set up one for yourself and yourself only, preferably on premium platform like Microsoft Azure that has good peering with Chinese ISPs and that lot of business use here for whatever purposes they need.
Confucius: "One to go to sleep with itchy butt will wake up with stinky finger"
LtSaw
PopStar
PopStar

Postby dorianR » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:14 pm

any news about astrill on IOS?
dorianR
Seeker
Seeker

Next

Return to Technology and Internet