craft beers in Shanghai

craft beers in Shanghai

Postby tralfaz » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:46 am

I been going to Shanghai for the past few years for business and vacation. Lately I've switched from drinking wines and scotches to craft beers in the US. In my last trip (November), I had trouble finding decent beers in my regular spots. When I got home I did a little research and found two good bottle locations, Jackie's Beernest and the Beer Lady. Are these the two best options for craft beer varieties? I'm particularly hooked on east coast IPAs at the moment.
tralfaz
Lurker
Lurker

Re: craft beers in Shanghai

Postby MrCH » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:43 pm

tralfaz wrote:I been going to Shanghai for the past few years for business and vacation. Lately I've switched from drinking wines and scotches to craft beers in the US. In my last trip (November), I had trouble finding decent beers in my regular spots. When I got home I did a little research and found two good bottle locations, Jackie's Beernest and the Beer Lady. Are these the two best options for craft beer varieties? I'm particularly hooked on east coast IPAs at the moment.

These three brew their own beer.

1. Boxing Cat Brewery has three locations. Two on Fuxing Road and One in Hongqiao. Probably my first choice for craft beer.

2. Shanghai Brewery on Hengshan Road is not bad. You should ask for the what special brews they have as the regular menu doesn't change.

3. The Brew at the Kerry Center has excellent craft beer but just a little too expensive for my liking.

Other options are a few places selling more commercial craft beer such as Daga Brew Pub that has 47 beers on tap. It's next to the Boxing Cat in Fuxing Road. And District on Yuyuan Road. One or two places on Hongmei Lu (Laowai Street). Cool bar on Pangyu Road (bottle shop), similar to beer lady but i prefer it. They do a good pizza.
MrCH
Barker
Barker

Postby Dazza » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:30 pm

Add to that Dr Beer and also WOB next door to each other on Fumin Lu.
Taoker on Wuding lu Bar street also opening soon, lots of bottles and 12 taps, and a massage place haha
If the music's too loud then u r too old.
Dazza
StreetBeater
StreetBeater

Postby seabass » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:28 am

tralfaz wrote:I been going to Shanghai for the past few years for business and vacation. Lately I've switched from drinking wines and scotches to craft beers in the US. In my last trip (November), I had trouble finding decent beers in my regular spots. When I got home I did a little research and found two good bottle locations, Jackie's Beernest and the Beer Lady. Are these the two best options for craft beer varieties? I'm particularly hooked on east coast IPAs at the moment.

Boxing Cat, Liquid Laundry, The Brew, Shanghai Brewery. Places to avoid: World Of Beer and the Shanghai Beer Factory or any other place that has only Chinese customers. Not being racist; would you go to a Chinese restaurant in NY that has only white Americans?
seabass
Barker
Barker

Postby Rutilus » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:52 pm

Done some "less serious" drinking at Kaiba.
http://kaiba-beerbar.com/en/location.aspx
Rutilus
Lurker
Lurker

Postby tralfaz » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:19 am

MrCH wrote:

1. Boxing Cat Brewery has three locations. Two on Fuxing Road and One in Hongqiao. Probably my first choice for craft beer.

2. Shanghai Brewery on Hengshan Road is not bad. You should ask for the what special brews they have as the regular menu doesn't change.

3. The Brew at the Kerry Center has excellent craft beer but just a little too expensive for my liking.

Other options are a few places selling more commercial craft beer such as Daga Brew Pub that has 47 beers on tap. It's next to the Boxing Cat in Fuxing Road. And District on Yuyuan Road. One or two places on Hongmei Lu (Laowai Street). Cool bar on Pangyu Road (bottle shop), similar to beer lady but i prefer it. They do a good pizza.

I had to leave Shanghai before my wife, so I sent her to check out the Boxing Cat and Shanghai brewery back in November. She's not the big beer fan like I am but she knows what I like and found the local brews to somewhat uninteresting and immature compared to what I've been drinking here in the US. What's been getting a lot of momentum here are the small brew collaborations from places like Other Half, Trillium, Evil Twin and special releases from Alchemist, Three Floyds, Cigar City. Have any of you had a chance to drink these beers and compared them to the local crafts?

I find most of the beer bars in Shanghai a bit stuffy and pretentious. The pizza bar, sounds right up my alley and I'll be sure to give it a visit when I come back in the spring and summer. Think I found that one on Foursquare, is it called "JustCool"?
tralfaz
Lurker
Lurker

Postby tralfaz » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:25 am

Dazza wrote:Add to that Dr Beer and also WOB next door to each other on Fumin Lu.
Taoker on Wuding lu Bar street also opening soon, lots of bottles and 12 taps, and a massage place haha

WOB is a bar chain in the US, there's one in a college town nearby me. I've actually never been since it always looks too big and cavernous. Small and cozy is more my comfort zone.
tralfaz
Lurker
Lurker

Postby tralfaz » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:41 am

seabass wrote:

Boxing Cat, Liquid Laundry, The Brew, Shanghai Brewery. Places to avoid: World Of Beer and the Shanghai Beer Factory or any other place that has only Chinese customers. Not being racist; would you go to a Chinese restaurant in NY that has only white Americans?

haha, probably not
The one commonality I have noticed in all of Asia is that westerners like to go to bars, and the locals are just starting to catch on, though the concept of not pounding beers seems to be an anomaly. I guess the "Cheers" bars where you just hangout and chill is not really popular in Asia. Craft beers should be enjoyed like a fine wine, sipped and not pounded. My assumption is that those going to WOB or the Shanghai Beer Factory are not the ones looking for good beer. You can find cheap beer anywhere in the world, its amazing how hard good beer is to find. Conversely, good wine and scotch is plentiful in Shanghai. Maybe there's no room for a beer culture in China?
tralfaz
Lurker
Lurker

Postby tralfaz » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:57 am

Rutilus wrote:Done some "less serious" drinking at Kaiba.

I saw them in a few searches as well, but I can't seem to make out the type of beers served or clientèle.

Also found a few more beer bars. Any of these worth a visit? The place with vinyl and beer looks like my basement...lol

-District
-Hop Project
-Uptown Records n' Beer
tralfaz
Lurker
Lurker

Postby MrCH » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:39 pm

tralfaz wrote:
MrCH wrote:

I had to leave Shanghai before my wife, so I sent her to check out the Boxing Cat and Shanghai brewery back in November. She's not the big beer fan like I am but she knows what I like and found the local brews to somewhat uninteresting and immature compared to what I've been drinking here in the US. What's been getting a lot of momentum here are the small brew collaborations from places like Other Half, Trillium, Evil Twin and special releases from Alchemist, Three Floyds, Cigar City. Have any of you had a chance to drink these beers and compared them to the local crafts?

I find most of the beer bars in Shanghai a bit stuffy and pretentious. The pizza bar, sounds right up my alley and I'll be sure to give it a visit when I come back in the spring and summer. Think I found that one on Foursquare, is it called "JustCool"?

I really like the atmosphere at the Boxing Cat on Fuxing Road near Yongfu Road - it's small, kinda comfy living room looking, not such business lunch type place. I'm not keen on their other locations at all. Same has to be said for the other craft beer places i mentioned.

Not all of the beers at Boxing Cat are Great. Right Hook Helles was horrible IMHO. But i like the Scottish Kiss Ale, Triple Threat, and their stouts. I also like their Pilsner. I guess it can be a little hit and miss but they rotate the beers which keeps it interesting. I'm not beer expert and relatively new to the craft beer scene and have little experience of drinking craft beer outside of Shanghai TBH. But i know what i like and there is nearly always a beer or two on tap at Boxing Cat which i really like. Plus, Daga Brew Pub is literally next door if Boxing Cat disappoints.

I do think the Boxing Cat needs a new food menu, give their kitchen a good deep clean, and not make their food so rich. I always feel not so good after eating there.
MrCH
Barker
Barker

Postby tralfaz » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:47 am

MrCH wrote:
tralfaz wrote:
MrCH wrote:

I really like the atmosphere at the Boxing Cat on Fuxing Road near Yongfu Road - it's small, kinda comfy living room looking, not such business lunch type place. I'm not keen on their other locations at all. Same has to be said for the other craft beer places i mentioned.

Not all of the beers at Boxing Cat are Great. Right Hook Helles was horrible IMHO. But i like the Scottish Kiss Ale, Triple Threat, and their stouts. I also like their Pilsner. I guess it can be a little hit and miss but they rotate the beers which keeps it interesting. I'm not beer expert and relatively new to the craft beer scene and have little experience of drinking craft beer outside of Shanghai TBH. But i know what i like and there is nearly always a beer or two on tap at Boxing Cat which i really like. Plus, Daga Brew Pub is literally next door if Boxing Cat disappoints.

I do think the Boxing Cat needs a new food menu, give their kitchen a good deep clean, and not make their food so rich. I always feel not so good after eating there.

I just looked up some photos of the Right Hook Helles and it doesn't look like any other Helles lager I've come across. I'm not surprised you didn't like the Helles as it is supposed to be the beer you serve to someone who isn't crazy about the bold and hoppy craft beers. Lagers by far out sell any other type of beer in China and internationally, so I wouldn't be surprised to see it on their regular beer menu.

As for your take on the food, I'm surprised its not particularly inspiring, since the owner is a restaurateur from the US. Me personally, the perfect accompaniment to good beer is BBQ or a good USDA hamburger. I'll try to visit the Fuxing location in my next visit, but be sure to eat prior.... :)
tralfaz
Lurker
Lurker

Postby TheWulf » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:38 pm

I do think the Boxing Cat needs a new food menu, give their kitchen a good deep clean, and not make their food so rich. I always feel not so good after eating there.[/quote]

Yes, spot on... I was there on Monday for the great beer deal (25 kuai all night), had a burger, but felt uncomfortable and stuffed even though I only finished half.

Beer Lady has so many beers, also Evil Twin as you mentioned earlier.
My favorites;
-Beer Lady
-Just Cool
-Shanghai Brewery (for their IPA and Pilsner)
-BCB

For Kaiba, they have an amazing deal on Saturdays and Sundays; 168 kuai for one dish and free flow beer from 11am - 3/4pm. Beers are La chouffe, Goose Island, Vedett, Stella Artois.. However, the beer choice seems to rotate.
TheWulf
Seeker
Seeker

Postby Dazza » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:19 pm

tralfaz wrote:

I saw them in a few searches as well, but I can't seem to make out the type of beers served or clientèle.

Also found a few more beer bars. Any of these worth a visit? The place with vinyl and beer looks like my basement...lol

-District
-Hop Project
-Uptown Records n' Beer[/quote

all are cool places

District do Boulevard pale ale which i like, nice after work joint.

Hop Project is more of a tap takeover place, currently little Creatures from Aus on their taps, next door to that is the newly open Caxton, they have 10 taps inc Brewdog Turatara, BC etc outsdie spaces too.

Uptown is great little place near Boxing Cat run by Sacco and his wife Sophia, all bottles and cans at great prices, plus u can listen and buy vinyl.
Dazza
StreetBeater
StreetBeater

Postby tralfaz » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:07 am

TheWulf wrote:I do think the Boxing Cat needs a new food menu, give their kitchen a good deep clean, and not make their food so rich. I always feel not so good after eating there.

Yes, spot on... I was there on Monday for the great beer deal (25 kuai all night), had a burger, but felt uncomfortable and stuffed even though I only finished half.

Beer Lady has so many beers, also Evil Twin as you mentioned earlier.
My favorites;
-Beer Lady
-Just Cool
-Shanghai Brewery (for their IPA and Pilsner)
-BCB

For Kaiba, they have an amazing deal on Saturdays and Sundays; 168 kuai for one dish and free flow beer from 11am - 3/4pm. Beers are La chouffe, Goose Island, Vedett, Stella Artois.. However, the beer choice seems to rotate.[/quote]

good info thanks
I've noticed no mention of Jackie's BeerNest which is written up everywhere for the past 5 years. Is it just hype or worth going?
tralfaz
Lurker
Lurker

Postby tralfaz » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:18 am

Dazza wrote:
tralfaz wrote:

-District
-Hop Project

all are cool places

Hop Project is more of a tap takeover place, currently little Creatures from Aus on their taps, next door to that is the newly open Caxton, they have 10 taps inc Brewdog Turatara, BC etc outsdie spaces too.

Uptown is great little place near Boxing Cat run by Sacco and his wife Sophia, all bottles and cans at great prices, plus u can listen and buy vinyl.

Sounds like Uptown will be a sure visit. I'm going to bring 3 cases of beer with me this spring. My uncle's into beers and I want to show him what's big here in the states, mostly east coast. Will likely leave some with Sacco and Sophia for good karma.

Do you know if the following beers companies have made it over there:
- Other Half (Brooklyn)
- Finback (Queens)
- Kane (New Jersey)
- Magnify (New Jersey)
- Trillium (Boston)
- Tree House (Massachusetts)
- Tire Hands (Philly)
tralfaz
Lurker
Lurker

Postby MrCH » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:28 am

tralfaz wrote:
Dazza wrote:
tralfaz wrote:

-District
-Hop Project

all are cool places

Sounds like Uptown will be a sure visit. I'm going to bring 3 cases of beer with me this spring. My uncle's into beers and I want to show him what's big here in the states, mostly east coast. Will likely leave some with Sacco and Sophia for good karma.

- Other Half (Brooklyn)
- Finback (Queens)
- Kane (New Jersey)
- Magnify (New Jersey)
- Trillium (Boston)
- Tire Hands (Philly)

have you checked out what Craft Beers are regularly available here in Shanghai?

Shanghai9
Epermarket
Liquid Solutions Asia

All have a varied selection of Craft Beer for delivery and online stores. I've used Shanghai9 and i regularly shop at Epermarket (mainly for groceries) but i've never used Liquid Solutions Asia who i met at Shanghai's yearly Beer Festival/s.
MrCH
Barker
Barker

Postby Dazza » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:53 pm

MrCH wrote:
tralfaz wrote:
Dazza wrote:
tralfaz wrote:

-District
-Hop Project

all are cool places

- Other Half (Brooklyn)
- Finback (Queens)
- Kane (New Jersey)
- Magnify (New Jersey)
- Trillium (Boston)
- Tire Hands (Philly)

Shanghai9
Epermarket
Liquid Solutions Asia

All have a varied selection of Craft Beer for delivery and online stores. I've used Shanghai9 and i regularly shop at Epermarket (mainly for groceries) but i've never used Liquid Solutions Asia who i met at Shanghai's yearly Beer Festival/s.

Brooklyn was common here.

Liquid solutions is an Aussie owned Distributor, Little Creatures, Morningtons xxxx etc like us at Topshelf we are Brewdogs sole distributor for China :o
Dazza
StreetBeater
StreetBeater

Postby tralfaz » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:01 pm

Shanghai9
Epermarket
Liquid Solutions Asia

All have a varied selection of Craft Beer for delivery and online stores. I've used Shanghai9 and i regularly shop at Epermarket (mainly for groceries) but i've never used Liquid Solutions Asia who i met at Shanghai's yearly Beer Festival/s.[/quote]

Brooklyn was common here.

Liquid solutions is an Aussie owned Distributor, Little Creatures, Morningtons xxxx etc like us at Topshelf we are Brewdogs sole distributor for China :o[/quote]

sorry for not clarifying, Other Half is a brewer, the location is in parenthesis. They have no association the the Brooklyn Brewery which has been commercialized and available almost everywhere. I waited on line for an hour last weekend to pickup a few cans and growlers at Other Half, they were ranked by RateBeer as one of the top 10 brewers in the world in a recent competition in San Francisco. Check out the reviews in Beer Advocate also.

I'll check out the delivery services for their stock
tralfaz
Lurker
Lurker

Postby Adrienne » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:47 pm

There's a few more Sports Bars that you can get Craft Beers at.....

The Shed
http://www.shedsh.com/

The Camel
http://www.smartshanghai.com/venue/5236/the_camel

Big Bamboo
http://www.bigbamboo.asia/

Adrienne
It always seems impossible until it is done
Adrienne
Board Lord
Board Lord

Postby Baas_Babelaas » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:28 pm

Craft beer pubs/restos are EVERYWHERE and OVERPRICED. Well. it is SH afterall.

Cheapest beer at the Camel is 40 yuan, and it's shite.
Baas_Babelaas
Barker
Barker

Postby tralfaz » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:34 am

Adrienne wrote:There's a few more Sports Bars that you can get Craft Beers at.....

The Shed

The Camel

Big Bamboo

Adrienne

Thanks Adrienne,
I remember looking for a sports bar in Shanghai over 20 yrs ago, when the 49ers were playing the Cowboys in the playoffs. Don't need them anymore with the internet.
tralfaz
Lurker
Lurker

Postby Adrienne » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:40 am

tralfaz wrote:
Adrienne wrote:There's a few more Sports Bars that you can get Craft Beers at.....

The Shed

The Camel

Big Bamboo

Adrienne

Thanks Adrienne,
I remember looking for a sports bar in Shanghai over 20 yrs ago, when the 49ers were playing the Cowboys in the playoffs. Don't need them anymore with the internet.

No worries tralfaz. :wink:

I first arrived in Shanghai in 1993 working in the weird and wonderful world of Expat Real Estate back then (and now). Malones opened a year later but wasn't a Sports Bar back then. Totally full of Expats which kept them going well. The Long Bar back then at Shanghai Centre was a Sports Bar (I think). Holiday Inn in Changning had Sports on too (I think). Not a Sports follower I'm not sure where the bars were then. I sure remember a few of the Disco Clubs though as spent many a night dancing away.

Ah, those were the days..... :D :D :D

Adrienne
It always seems impossible until it is done
Adrienne
Board Lord
Board Lord

Postby tralfaz » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:45 am

Has anyone been to the craft beer festival?
I think this is the third year and happens around May. The website is still up for the 2016 event but not one for 2017. Is there no 2017 festival?
tralfaz
Lurker
Lurker

Postby MrCH » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:28 am

tralfaz wrote:Has anyone been to the craft beer festival?
I think this is the third year and happens around May. The website is still up for the 2016 event but not one for 2017. Is there no 2017 festival?

There is a craft beer festival every year. I believe the May ones were at the shopping complex where Boxing Cat is in Hongqiao/Changning two years ago and i also went to one at the Kerry center last year. The best ones i've been to have been at the Bund Cool Docks - I've always had a blast there and i think these are usually in October.

There are a good range of brewers there as well as some well known bottled stuff. Mt Gao made an appearance at the last one and he does a great Green Tea beer. Boxing Cat usually has a spit roasted pig, you can get a good range of pies, and some awesome hot dogs and pizza.

I've done an Octoberfest beer tent thing as well and there are usually a couple organized each year. Pauliner does one i think.
MrCH
Barker
Barker

Postby tralfaz » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:14 pm

MrCH wrote:
tralfaz wrote:Has anyone been to the craft beer festival?

There is a craft beer festival every year. I believe the May ones were at the shopping complex where Boxing Cat is in Hongqiao/Changning two years ago and i also went to one at the Kerry center last year. The best ones i've been to have been at the Bund Cool Docks - I've always had a blast there and i think these are usually in October.

There are a good range of brewers there as well as some well known bottled stuff. Mt Gao made an appearance at the last one and he does a great Green Tea beer. Boxing Cat usually has a spit roasted pig, you can get a good range of pies, and some awesome hot dogs and pizza.

I've done an Octoberfest beer tent thing as well and there are usually a couple organized each year. Pauliner does one i think.

that's great info, thanks
I just decided to come to Shanghai in a few weeks. Beer trading is currently a bit of a hobby for me, so if anyone is interested in tasting what the east coast breweries are turning up at the moment, shoot me a line and I'll let you know where I'll be. At the moment probably a few restaurants where my wife knows the owners, but will definitely be stopping off in some of the beer joints to talk beer with locals. I just got a 8 pack of Treehouse, which along with Hills Farmstead is probably to hardest beers to get from the east coast. Also, fans of Founder's KBS, I should get my stash any day now. Other Half, Finback, Tired Hands, Kane, Magnify, and many more.

Hope to see some of you out there.
Btw: I'll also be bringing my Carolina style BBQ as well, will be smoking about 50 pounds of pork and fish over the next 2 weekends.
tralfaz
Lurker
Lurker

Postby MrCH » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:40 am

No worries. Lots of places here also have beer tasting events. Boxing Cat does a Brewmaster's dinner every now and then with food and beer pairing. Kakadu (an Australian place) had Cooper's brewmaster visit and a night of food and beer. Also check out brunch free flow offers. The Meat (which is part of the Meat the Cook and the Brew at the Kerry Center) do an awesome free flow craft beer weekend brunch which includes a great steak and all you can eat starters.

There are others but these are just some off the top of my head.
MrCH
Barker
Barker

Postby MrCH » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:27 pm

Saw this today. I'm not a promoter for this but i just noticed this advertisement for the beer festival and thought of this post.

https://www.smartticket.cn/tickets/beernanza
MrCH
Barker
Barker

Postby MrCH » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:30 pm

seabass wrote:

I went to World of Beer tonight. Food wasn't great (i had the ribs) but there was an awesome selection of beer. Biggest selection i've seen in Shanghai (and anywhere else but i'm not well travelled on the beer front). A very good selection of drafts and hundreds of bottles. A great menu on an ipad which can be filtered to find beers of your liking.

My only criticisms apart from the food would be the lack of their owned brewed beer (they had one Ale they made themselves on tap which wasn't bad), and the flights were a bit limited in only offering one type of beer or an introductory selection. This would be fine for newbies to beer but i'd like to order a flight of beers of my choice.

Loyalty cards were offered but not available which i found strange. Staff were great and i'm not sure what is meant by the comment above about 'only Chinese customers'. For one, there were lots of foreigners there and two, i don't know what's wrong with having a place which is predominantly Chinese, we live in China FFs. I have no problems with going to any restaurant or bar which has many or only one kind of race - it says nothing about the quality of the place.
MrCH
Barker
Barker

Postby tralfaz » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:31 am

just got back from 2 weeks in Shanghai, I hit about 20ish places with my wife and was unfortunately mostly disappointed. By far, I thought the place with the best selection of beers was Daga. We went to two locations, though the one at the Sinan area has a much larger selection. They had over 40 on tap, including half of which were from China. I don't have my notes, but I'll update when I get home. Most places had beers from Belgium/Germany and some from Australia/NZ. Some are pretty good, but not the newer fresh beers now being brewed in the US, especially the east coast.
tralfaz
Lurker
Lurker

Postby tralfaz » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:36 am

MrCH wrote:Saw this today. I'm not a promoter for this but i just noticed this advertisement for the beer festival and thought of this post.

https://www.smartticket.cn/tickets/beernanza

interesting this falls on the same time as the Shanghai beerfest, maybe it's been renamed? I find a lot of discontinuity in the events held in China. Finding info from year to year is sketchy at times.
tralfaz
Lurker
Lurker

Next

Return to Food & Drink