US Diploma authentication/verify to use in China

Ask about legal and visa complications here

US Diploma authentication/verify to use in China

Postby Mist » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:43 am

Hi, this is my first post. I apologizes in advance if I make any mistake.

I am working as a foreigner postdoc in Shanghai. I was asked to submit my US PhD diploma authenticated (or verified I don't know the exact translation from Chinese. All they told me are in Chinese).

I checked up several website and found that I need notarization from university I graduated then send to the secretary of the state to get authenticated.

However, I heard from Chinese professor friend before that he submitted his US diploma to get Chinese translation then submitted to the center of diploma verification in Shanghai, wait for 1-3 months and it was done without dealing with US's side.

I would like to ask if someone know or do it as my friend told me before or have the other way around to get your diploma verified easier.

Thank you very much for your kind helps!!
Mist

Re: US Diploma authentication/verify to use in China

Postby redser45 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:45 am

wwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
redser45

Postby matthewsworld » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:22 pm

Can be done in China.

Get documents - resumr, diploma, transcripts translated.

Get an appointment at a notary service in China and wait a month or so to get docs notarized.

Not sure who to go with or the cost.
matthewsworld
Barker
Barker

Postby freddiesdead » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:19 pm

matthewsworld wrote:Can be done in China.

Get documents - resumr, diploma, transcripts translated.

Get an appointment at a notary service in China and wait a month or so to get docs notarized.

Are you sure about that ? All our business stuff has to be notarized, apostilled, double-apostilled, and stamped by the gods in the China consulate overseas. I can't see how a notary in China can certify the veracity of anything in a different country. And I'm not sure they even know what a notary is supposed to do, really ....
freddiesdead
Rocker
Rocker

Postby diplo123 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:05 pm

i am in the same situation. anyone have any way to get this thing done?
diplo123

Postby Mist » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:31 pm

Thank you very much for your suggestons.
@diplo123, I already replied to your pm.
Mist

Postby matthewsworld » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:05 am

Everyone's in the same situation.

Certified translated diplomas are noe required by immigration.

A translated, notarized document done in China would be cheaper and less scrutinized.

Notary publics in China provide translation of course. Even cheaper tohave a Chinese third party do it.

Appointments are needed in advance at Chinese notaries so get your HR or recruiter to help.

I'm showing the local Chinese notary the copy of my official transcripts and the sealed ones to be safe.

I haven't been there yet but I will surely update.
matthewsworld
Barker
Barker

Postby MrCH » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:47 pm

For UK residents you have two options for full authentication

Option one
First go to the British Consulate in Shanghai to have your degree certificate notarised. You must do this before the FCO in the UK can legalise the degree.
Second you must send the degree to the FCO in the UK to have it legalised.
Third, when the degree is notarised and legalised, you can then apply through this Chinese website link to have the degree authenticated by the Chinese education bureau.

http://www.cscse.edu.cn/publish/portal0 ... efault.htm

To do that last part, however, you really would need help because it's all in Chinese.

I'm not sure how much this would cost but i am estimating that it'll will be around 1500 RMB in total including postage of your degree to the UK. The FCO charge around 300 RMB to legalise a degree and i'm not sure how much the British consulate charge for notarisation.

Option two
The Apostille Service (http://www.apostille.org.uk) have said that if your documentation is for use in China, you will need to do the following;
First, a solicitor certification which i think is the equivalent of going to the British consulate in Shanghai to have the degree notarised.
Second, an Apostille which i think is the equivalent of the FCO legalising the degree
Third, an attestation stamp from the China embassy which i guess is the equivalent of you applying to have your degree authenticated through the link above.

All 3 of these stages can be completed by their company in approximately 7-10 working days for a fee of £161.00 per document and you would need to pay for the postage of your degree. I'm estimating the total cost for this option to be around 2500 RMB.

I've been told that it should be sufficient to have the degree notarised by the British Consulate so that's what i'm doing. Hopefully I won't need to go through the other steps mentioned but i think it depends on the foreign affairs office in the city you're going to work in.
MrCH
Barker
Barker

Postby Mel69 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:27 pm

MrCH wrote:For UK residents you have two options for full authentication

I've been told that it should be sufficient to have the degree notarised by the British Consulate so that's what i'm doing. Hopefully I won't need to go through the other steps mentioned but i think it depends on the foreign affairs office in the city you're going to work in.

TIC so valid for this week only :)
Stress , Confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living shirtout of some idiot A H who desperately requires it

Friends are like condoms .....they are supposed to protect you when things get hard ....
Mel69
Veejay
Veejay

Return to Legal Issues