Buying a new car - Advice plz

Buying a new car - Advice plz

Postby Dr.Glitz » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:27 pm

Hey all, Have been driving my own private car here for 5 years. I have a Shanghai plate and reckon it's time to upgrade to a brand new vehicle. 2 questions: 1) Is it relatively simple to get my plate transferred to my new car? (Will the new car dealership take care of this for me inc documentation etc) 2) Am I likely to get a good trade-in value for my current vehicle? (not looking for numbers here - just any rough feelings on whether trade-ins here are usually worth it or not).

Thanks all.
Dr.Glitz
Barker
Barker

Re: Buying a new car - Advice plz

Postby Moonlighting » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:44 pm

Anywhere in the world, automobiles are the worst investment you can make, unless you are buying classic vehicles that will never really see the road.

You will not really get good "trade-in value" for your car, but it will save you a bit of hassle, and once you're driving your brand new car, you'll be happy with yourself.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the license plate situation here, or whether the plate stays with the car or goes with the person.
Moonlighting
SuperStar
SuperStar

Postby SoFarSoGood » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:21 am

Moonlighting wrote:Anywhere in the world, automobiles are the worst investment you can make, unless you are buying classic vehicles that will never really see the road.

You will not really get good "trade-in value" for your car, but it will save you a bit of hassle, and once you're driving your brand new car, you'll be happy with yourself.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the license plate situation here, or whether the plate stays with the car or goes with the person.

Agree 100%. Drive off the lot and the car is 50% less in value.

You could try to convince the dealer to make a 1 day registration (Daily registration) on himself and than sell it to you. This is quite common in Europe. By that the VAT is reduced and you still get a car that did not roll of the dealer's location. Problem is that they don't really need to this, since people are buying the cars anyway.
The fate of all mankind I see Is in the hands of fools. King Crimson - Epitaph
SoFarSoGood
PopStar
PopStar

Postby filterlights » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:11 pm

I've bought brand new car in Shanghai and it's very simple. :D

Buy a car.
Take all of the papers car company will give you.
Go do the paperwork to transfer the old licence plate to a new car.
Take those papers and your old licence and go to car saloon to pick up your new car. Put the licence on it.
Go back to go through technical with your new car and pay for it.
Pay taxes for a new car and that's it.

1) Yes it's simple. You should do it yourself because it's almost for free.
2) If it is around 10 years old you might get 1000 euros if newer try to sell the car for yourself.
filterlights

Postby Markofshanghai » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:05 pm

Almost all car dealers have their own agent (huangniu) who will deal with the transfer with minimal presence and waste of time.
For ~200k cars, its normal to get two services for free, accessories and of course the agent service for free.
Figure out the model(s) you are interested in, go for test drive and get quotation from different dealers, leaving the one nearby your home at the end because its simply convenient to buy it from there!
Good luck!
Markofshanghai
Lurker
Lurker

Postby Matong » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:07 am

It’s pretty much the same as anywhere else. Trade in is convenient, but the value will be a lower wholesale price allowing them to package for retail market.

Selling yourself takes time and effort but you will get a more. (if you can sell it)

The new car dealership will look after all the transactions including number plate.
Matong
Raver
Raver

Return to Automobiles