Where to find scotch eggs in Shanghai?

Can't find something in Shanghai?? Ask to find out where…

Where to find scotch eggs in Shanghai?

Postby seabass » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:40 pm

?
seabass
Barker
Barker

Re: Where to find scotch eggs in Shanghai?

Postby Shanghai Noob » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:14 pm

My info is probably a bit out of date but since it’s such an important subject I thought I would chip in…

Union Trading did a Scotched quails egg served with wholegrain mustard, tasty. Make sure you have it with a Robertson Celery Summer – a fine cocktail of my own invention… (get the awesome lady mixologist to make it; gin sours, celery bitters)

Cuckoo’s Nest (that Costa Del Sol expat pub) serve(d) loads of hot Scotchies, rather salty I recall and weirdly served with olives on the side but OK pub grub if you’re ooop North (Jing’an).

Jing Republic (JR Recipe?!?) under the Goosetop brewery on Taixing serves ‘Scottish eggs’ which were very good though fairly expensive. But served with salad

Amelia’s (think they also supply Bad Boy Bangers) probably make the best proper ones in town. I have no idea where they’re based now? Did that Muslim bath-house development N. Jing’an close down?!

You can also get Shizitou dumplings (those massive ‘lionshead’ ones) with a hard-boiled egg inside, like a Chinese Scotch egg. They’re the holy grail I reckon. Perhaps someone knows what they’re called, I only discovered them a couple of times in canteens by accident. Maybe Dongbai Jiaozi Wang sells them? I assume they’re a NE food? And they’re served in gravy rather than being crispy, would be perfect with proper chipshop chips…
Shanghai Noob
FooJay
FooJay

Postby MrCH » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:38 am

You could also try Mr Harry's if he's still going. He used to do an ok Ploughmans with a pork pie. He markets himself as an Authentic British restaurant although i've always been a bit disappointed with the food when i've been there and he doesn't take criticism very well - i once sent a soggy piece of battered cod back and he come over to argue that it was cooked perfectly and cooking it more would make it overcooked. (sorry Mr Harry)

Glo London (their cafe downstairs) used to do them i think.

Amelia's has an APP for ordering now. She does the best british style bacon in town (although Breakfast Champion is also pretty good). I've not tried her British sausages. WeChat I.D chatwithameilia

If Bad Boy Bangers is still operating out of Yongkang road, you could pop in to see if he does them. And pick up some of his awesome but over priced sausages.
MrCH
Barker
Barker

Postby butlerjd » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:26 am

For Amelia's, wechat ID is amelias0428 for the official account, and Sarah-Glover for her personal,
butlerjd

Postby Big-K » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:21 pm

The best scotch eggs you will find in a small English pub, The Cuckoo Nest at 1163 Shaanxi Bei Lu/Anyuan Lu, home made and they have some surprisingly interesting flavours. When you are there, enjoy their extended happy hour (until 22:00 :D )
statistics are just like mini-skirts……they suggest a lot but hide the essential parts.
Big-K
Reacher
Reacher

Postby MrCH » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:48 pm

Big-K wrote:The best scotch eggs you will find in a small English pub, The Cuckoo Nest at 1163 Shaanxi Bei Lu/Anyuan Lu, home made and they have some surprisingly interesting flavours. When you are there, enjoy their extended happy hour (until 22:00 :D )

Awesome :D
MrCH
Barker
Barker

Return to Where Can I Find..