How to authenticate your background check when in China

How to authenticate your background check when in China

Postby kristapinyan » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:28 pm

Hello all,
I am currently in China, I am going to start as an English teacher for a school. For the Z visa, I already have my background check, but after I have got there, they said that I need to authenticate it. I am from USA. I already have my degree authenticated in the USA, but does anyone know how I can authenticate my background check, without going all the way back to USA.

Thank you so much,

Krista
kristapinyan

Re: How to authenticate your background check when in China

Postby JohanneSwe » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:08 pm

I would recommend you to call the american embassy here in shanghai.
JohanneSwe
Seeker
Seeker

Postby MrCH » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:49 am

I was able to get a notarised copy of my degree at the consulate (i'm British). But they could not do my background check.

I've been here for several years and now changing jobs and moving to a different province in China. The HR at my new school told me not to worry about getting the background check 'authenticated' if i can't do it here which suggests to me that it's not necessary or that they are confident that the foreign experts bureau will be lenient about it not being authenticated.

I would double check with your school that it is absolutely necessary and even push them to call the foreign experts bureau to confirm.

Other than that, there are 'apostille' services/agencies who can do everything for you (at least they can for UK nationals) but they can be quite expensive - between 1000 and 2000 RMB including complete authentication and postage to China.
MrCH
Barker
Barker

Postby kristapinyan » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:31 pm

Thanks so much!!
kristapinyan

Postby Mel69 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:32 pm

If you have a local police background check you are SOL but if you have an FBI back ground check then the consulate office ca validate for you .
If the one you have is local the easiest thing at this point is to get an FBI one that can be done at the consulate office . It takes a while to get
Stress , Confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living shirtout of some idiot A H who desperately requires it

Friends are like condoms .....they are supposed to protect you when things get hard ....
Mel69
Veejay
Veejay

Postby MoonOverMiami » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:01 pm

By authenticate, did they want the State Dept to authenticate it or do they want the Chinese embassy in the US to authenticate it? If the latter, your home state will determine which Chinese embassy you will need to go to to get it authenticated.

There are services available stateside that you can use to help you get documents authenticated by the Chinese embassy.
Charly: "Were you always this stupid or did you take lessons?"
Mitch: "I took lessons."
MoonOverMiami
Low Seater
Low Seater

Postby Adrienne » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:42 pm

Not sure but doesn't each District have a Notary Office (or whatever it is called) where you go and swear on a stack of little red books that all is fair dinkum? Or is that something different? I know the locals use it all the time for docs.

I would contact the US Consulate General in Shanghai and ask em.

Adrienne
It always seems impossible until it is done
Adrienne
Board Lord
Board Lord

Postby world Trekker » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:20 am

To have your degree or CBC notarized while in China, would require that nearly all half of your docs. be notarized before arriving in China. For example, documents such as a degree or background check must be stamped by a member of the notary association in the US. In the UK, more than often this can be completed by a UK lawyer. and then submitted to the FCO office in the UK. On the other hand, degrees originating from the US will require a notary stamp with you being present. The US documents will then need to be submitted to local and federal governments for authentication before finally being submitted to the Chinese/Embasy in the US. The path to final legalization in most countries is usually a two to three step process as opposed to the the United States multi legalization and authentication procedures.

Another route is to contact www.internationalnotarization.com. They specialize in assisting legalizing degrees and background checks for expats living in China.
They are able to have your documents authenticated and shipped back to your address in China which is a more simplified and easier process.
world Trekker

Return to Visa Info