Changing jobs - Visa/Work permit implications?

Changing jobs - Visa/Work permit implications?

Postby Dr.Glitz » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:14 pm

Hey all,
Just accepted a new role in Shanghai and have submitted notice to my current employer (also in Shanghai). As I understand it, foreigners have 10 days "grace" between jobs to get a new work permit/residence visa. I'm told that my new company HR will take care of this but, nevertheless, keen to hear any others experience of how smoothly this process usually goes and whether there could be any potential issues here?.

Much appreciated.
Thx.
Dr.Glitz
Barker
Barker

Re: Changing jobs - Visa/Work permit implications?

Postby MrCH » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:02 am

Yes, albeit it out of my control i got quite a telling off for not getting my new application in within the 10 day period but they let me off the fine. I was just very apologetic.

As long as your application is in within those 10 days it's fine. You don't actually need your visa but your application must be with the bureau. So make sure you have all your documents before or at the same time your old employer gives you the release letter. The date on the release letter will be the date they will go from. Then make sure your new employer has everything they need and can submit the application.

I'm not sure about staying in Shanghai but i'm changing to a different city and even though i've been in China for 5 years, i need a lot of new documents like criminal record check, my degree notarised ect..so make sure you have absolutely everything you need before leaving your old employer.
MrCH
Barker
Barker

Re: Changing jobs - Visa/Work permit implications?

Postby Dr.Glitz » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:33 pm

Thanks - that's really helpful. Hadn't even thought about criminal checks or notarised degrees. Hopefully, the new company will be in touch shortly with further details, but sounds like things have changed since I arrived here in 2010. Just to clarify, is it the visa/permit agency asking for these docs or your new employer?
Dr.Glitz
Barker
Barker

Return to Visa Info