Crashed Drive: Recovering emails from outlook.pst file

Crashed Drive: Recovering emails from outlook.pst file

Postby P123 » Mon May 19, 2008 12:55 pm

Hi, I’m having a few problems recovering my emails from a crashed hard disk on my pc… I can access the crashed drive by plugging it directly into my laptop though the usb. I located the outlook.pst and copied directly to the desktop of my laptop, but it’s not picking the file up – just comes up blank. I also tried searching for the existing outlook.pst file on the same latop but xp is not picking that one up either…. For importing the file I’m doing: outlook/file/import and export/import from another file or program/personal folder file (.pst)/browse/desktop/ files of type: personal….. but no joy…. The file is not read only, and not hidden.. Any ideas?

Very grateful for any help.
P123
Barker
Barker

Postby yu888 » Mon May 19, 2008 1:55 pm

contact computer solutions. they have successfully done numeroud HD recoveries via some specialized tools. At least talk to them and see what they say.
6 years of experiences, good, bad ugly... and survived.

My Blog
yu888
Board Legend
Board Legend

Postby computersolutions » Mon May 19, 2008 1:55 pm

Crashed in what way?

HDD issues or just OS won't boot?

Are you using the same (or newer) version of LookOut?
Are there other PST's? (Might be using the wrong one).

If the size of the PST looks correct, try doing a repair on a COPY.
NB PST files start to corrupt at >1G+-. When they get to 2G they definitely corrupt, as they get truncated.

I can take a look if you bring to our office.
computersolutions
StreetBeater
StreetBeater

Postby jzzzzzzz » Sat May 24, 2008 12:49 pm

Yes, best to keep them small. I think keeping under 0.5G is best and definitely under 1G.

If the PST looks about the correct size you can try the scanpst.exe tool. It is installed with Office automatically. It installs in different locations depending on the version so you may need to search for it.
jzzzzzzz
Board Royalty
Board Royalty

Postby neo34 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:11 pm

The problem may be due to the corruption of pst file or over sized 2 Gb Pst file size limit. You can use Inbox repair tool to repair your corrupted file.
To run Inbox repair tool you have to locate pst repair file. The pst repair file by default is located at:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\Mapi\1033\
Or
C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\MSMAPI\1033

For outlook 2007 scanpst.exe file is located at:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12

For more information visit
http://repair-pst.blogspot.com/

If your pst file is badly corrupted in this situation you can use outlook pst repair software.
The pst recovery software is easy to use and provides powerful recovery solution. You can download the free demo version from the site
http://www.repair-outlook-pst.com/
demo version you can preview 5 e-mails, 20% of contacts and calendar entries from which you can evaluated the efficiency & recovery capability of the software.
neo34

Postby fyz » Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:18 pm

Hi,

If necessary, you can try a tool called Advanced Outlook Repair to repair your PST file. It is a powerful tool to recover messages, folders and other objects from corrupt or damaged Microsoft Outlook PST files.

Detailed information about Advanced Outlook Repair can be found at http://www.datanumen.com/aor/

And you can also download a free demo version at http://www.datanumen.com/aor/aor.exe

Alan
fyz

Postby shine » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:16 pm

i'm facing a similar problem. The hard disk in my laptop crashed. I've already replaced it with a new one. Now i need to try and retrieve as much data possible from the disk that has crashed. (already sent a mail to computer solutions and awaiting their reply) In the mean while any suggestions?
shine
Reacher
Reacher

Postby cankles » Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:04 am

get an external hard drive encasing and put your old hard drive in there. Connect it to your working computer via USB and see if it is recognized. It may run very slow so give it some time to think. If it works, transfer as everything you want to your laptop (quickly!).

If it doesn't work at all and you *really* need the data contact a professional data recovery place or a friend who knows how to use data recovery tools. Be prepared to potentially pay top dollar if it is really borked.
cankles
Reacher
Reacher

Postby kuldaen » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:54 am

As people have suggested above, if your data is REALLY important to you then you should get someone who knows what they are doing to look at it directly BEFORE you try it yourself with various programs which may corrupt or damage your data further. if it is a simple matter of finding the right location of a file or copying from one place to another then fine but if you have to run soem program over it and you don't know what to do if it fails then you only have yourself to blame.
+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++
kuldaen
LoopKicker
LoopKicker

Postby shine » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:03 am

thanks for your replies. I've already put the old drive into the external hard drive encasing and connected it to a healthy computer. However it's unable to read the data. Tried doing chdsk on the same (as suggested in a couple of forums), however the same did not work. So now i'm hoping that some experts in Shanghai might read this and offer their services.
shine
Reacher
Reacher

Postby RSBakshi » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:33 pm

I am using PST with the size of 4.3 G. Will split as soon as I can to avoid such disasters. Lessons Learned!
RSBakshi
Reacher
Reacher

Postby robnot » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:43 pm

ost and pst should be ok for up to 20GB in outlook 2007.

my pst file is 7GB and archive pst is 4GB, no problems that I know of... yet
robnot
Rocker
Rocker

Re: Crashed Drive: Recovering emails from outlook.pst file

Postby BakerCook » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:04 pm

Kernel for Outlook PST repair uses quick algorithms to search and restore lost or deleted mails and hence it is fast, simple and easy to use. Along with recovering emails and other data, you can easily recover all the deleted items also. Try PST recovery with the free evaluation version which previews all the recoverable items but save them with the full version.
BakerCook

Postby tihZ_hO » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:13 pm

Did you notice the date of this thread?? Just asking :)

You know who you are
tihZ_hO
Board Deity

Postby computersolutions » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:15 am

spambots care not...
computersolutions
StreetBeater
StreetBeater

Postby Mister_happy » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:09 pm

Try downloading this standalone PST viewer

http://www.nucleustechnologies.com/down ... viewer.php
I'm not saying I should kill ALL the stupid people, I'm just removing the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out!
Mister_happy
Fire-eater
Fire-eater

Postby Mister_happy » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:58 pm

If your WD drive dies you can try these people here in Shanghai, it cost 2400rmb to recover the data from a dead drive +plus a new drive to copy the data onto. If they do not get your data back no fee is charged.

Their details are on the offical WD website.

Toll Free: +65 6296 5131

Shanghai Myung Information Technologies Co.,Ltd.

Mr.Chen Du.
Phone number: 021-50815652
Toll Free: 800-820-7077
Cell Phone: 13816888477

Shanghai
Room 8017,Zhangyang Road,
Huacheng Building
Pudong New Area, Shanghai
Phone number: 021-50815662
I'm not saying I should kill ALL the stupid people, I'm just removing the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out!
Mister_happy
Fire-eater
Fire-eater

Postby perkinmerchant » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:20 pm

Ms Outlook provides an inbuilt repair tool called scanpst.exe tol to repair corrupt PST file. to know more about scanpst.exe you can visit :
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/287497

In the case if scanpst.exe is not working than its better to use Outlook PST Repair software. it is an efficient tool that is designed to easily repair corrupt Pst file in Outlook. it will certainly help you to repair corrupt PST file in Outlook.

For More information :
http://www.pstlook.com/outlook-pst-repair.php
perkinmerchant

Postby mickrosty » Sat May 25, 2013 1:30 pm

If your drive crashed and want to recover emails and many other important data from Outlook PST files, and don't know how to do then click the link below to know how to recover or repair PST data of Outlook.
http://www.errorpst.com/scanpst-errors.php.
mickrosty

Postby mickrosty » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:47 pm

Recovery of emails from Outlook PST file is now possible with using third party software Inbox PST Repair tool which can also able to repair corrupted PST files from Outlook. with this tool you can also recover your corrupted oversized PST files easily. http://www.inboxpstrepair.com
mickrosty

Postby EugeneOwens » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:12 pm

If your outlook pst data is corrupted, First you should try scanpst inbuilt utilities to analyze and fix the issues in your Outlook .pst file. In case, these tools do not work then you may go for a third party pst repair application to repair and fix the problem. An effective and reliable PST repair application that you may try is here:
http://www.recoverydeletedfiles.com/out ... -tool.html
Download the Free Trial version and recover emails.
EugeneOwens

Postby EdwardGzhao » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:42 pm

Outlook PST Repair tool. This tool is used to fix all the errors of PST files. This is designed with inclusive algorithm of scanning which enables fixing a lot of corruption problems. Hence, this is completely effective tool to recover Outlook emails and other required components. This also provides the extensive support to the latest Outlook versions and Windows Operating System. In short, it is preferred choice as compared to other tools.FOR FREE 100 % RECOVERY.... http://www.pcrecoverytools.com/outlook-pst-repair.html
EdwardGzhao

Postby Mel69 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:55 pm

tihZ_hO wrote:Did you notice the date of this thread?? Just asking :)

This
Stress , Confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living shirtout of some idiot A H who desperately requires it

Friends are like condoms .....they are supposed to protect you when things get hard ....
Mel69
Veejay
Veejay

Postby shivgupta » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:30 pm

With a comprehensive and reliable Outlook PST repair software, you can very smoothly repair corrupt PST files without any hassle. You can also use it to recover deleted or inaccessible Outlook mailbox items from corrupted PST file. This utility supports Outlook 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007, 2003, 2002, 2000, etc. To know more about the tool, visit: http://www.pstrepairtool.corruptpstfile.com/
shivgupta
Squeeker
Squeeker

Return to Technology and Internet