(Z) Work Visa / Res Permits Issues START HERE

(Z) Work Visa / Res Permits Issues START HERE

Postby yu888 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:34 am

"Work (Z) Visa's for Dummies -the Beginner's Guide"

Go to this link for the article===>>>
http://www.shanghaiexpat.com/community/ ... p_r?blog=5

Then if you still have questions, go ahead and post a new thread. Otherwsie, beware of the backlash that may follow...
6 years of experiences, good, bad ugly... and survived.

My Blog
yu888
Board Legend
Board Legend

Postby p1atl10 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:51 pm

My Z Working Visa and Permanent Visa are expiring last month....I have been told I cannot leave the country to have these renewed.

But I want to go to Hong Kong to have these done....

I am sure that I am special and that no one has ever asked any questions about Visa's on this site...

So I would appreciate your help in sorting this out.

TIA

(Ed....feel free to delete this at some point! Bored today! :D )
Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.....Dave Barry
p1atl10
Shanghai Royalty
Shanghai Royalty

Postby underh20 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:05 pm

p1atl10 wrote:My Z Working Visa and Permanent Visa are expiring last month....I have been told I cannot leave the country to have these renewed.

But I want to go to Hong Kong to have these done....

I am sure that I am special and that no one has ever asked any questions about Visa's on this site...

So I would appreciate your help in sorting this out.

TIA

(Ed....feel free to delete this at some point! Bored today! :D )

You mean your residence permit is expiring, obviously.

HK authorities have no authority to approve, extend, cancel or otherwise modify Mainland documents such as a residence permit or visa. Even if you went to the PRC Visa Office, they are not able to do anything. Only the PSB has the authority to deal with residence permits.

Looks like you're SOL.

P.S. Yes, you are special. ;)
underh20
Board Royalty
Board Royalty

Postby p1atl10 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:43 pm

^ You do know I was just pulling Ed's leg don't you! :D
Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.....Dave Barry
p1atl10
Shanghai Royalty
Shanghai Royalty

Postby underh20 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:40 pm

p1atl10 wrote:^ You do know I was just pulling Ed's leg don't you! :D

I know now. :oops:
underh20
Board Royalty
Board Royalty

Postby p1atl10 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:17 pm

Once in gosh know how many years...I get one over on you!!!

Excellent!!
p1atl10
Shanghai Royalty
Shanghai Royalty

Postby yu888 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:16 pm

I am sure we could make a good list of repeat and funny questions asked about the residentce permit Z visa thing that could rival the boring thread... maybe one day i will. :)

My Blog
yu888
Board Legend
Board Legend

Postby shanghai_flava » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:32 pm

Hi Yu888,
Here is another idea for a sticky post: what about make a sticky post regarding Tax reimbursement program for foreigners?
I remember it has been popping up in several threads.
shanghai_flava
Rocker
Rocker

Postby v1v1an » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:09 pm

I agree. And also, why can't we arrange our own superannuation account? Hi Yu888, do you have any idea about the super a/c and insurance in Shanghai? I am totally confused.
v1v1an
Squeeker
Squeeker

Postby yu888 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:09 pm

Chinese employers do not need to contribute to any employee benefit funds for foreigners, including into teh AUS Superannuation fund. BUT as an individual you may choose to contribute. Consult an AUS financial professional for advice on that.

Will look into the Tax reimburse info before tagging up a sticky as we really need a viable answer first to link it to.

My Blog
yu888
Board Legend
Board Legend

Postby underh20 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:11 pm

yu888 wrote:Chinese employers do not need to contribute to any employee benefit funds for foreigners, including into teh AUS Superannuation fund. BUT as an individual you may choose to contribute. Consult an AUS financial professional for advice on that.

Will look into the Tax reimburse info before tagging up a sticky as we really need a viable answer first to link it to.

Actually, expats are not allowed at all to contribute to the government-sponsored social security funds.
underh20
Board Royalty
Board Royalty

Postby yu888 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:24 pm

^ i was only referring to ozzies and their superannuation fund, NOT to local benefits funds

My Blog
yu888
Board Legend
Board Legend

Postby marlboro111 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:44 pm

Hi yu888

I found your detailed "Work (Z) Visa Guide" most informative. Would the same procedure apply pertaining to Work (Z) Visa if a foreigner wants to set up a bar ? I am aware that a foreigner requires a Chinese partner and Cooperative Joint Venture would possibly be the route to go.

Thanks in advance
marlboro111

Postby marlboro111 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:48 pm

Hi yu888

I found your detailed "Work (Z) Visa Guide" most informative. Would the same procedure apply pertaining to Work (Z) Visa if a foreigner wants to set up a bar ? I am aware that a foreigner requires a Chinese partner and Cooperative Joint Venture would possibly be the route to go.

Thanks in advance
marlboro111

Postby yu888 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:37 pm

^ first off, it IS legal for foreigners to wholly own a bar. Not sure who is trying to get your money for a venture of theirs but you can have a WOFE bar. yes it may be costly but it can be done. Consult a lawyer to get best results on that.

As for Work visa etc...the business needs to be set up completely before you can even apply to hire yourself. ownership may or may not even affect the process as if your paid up capital isnt enough, the labor bureau may not see why your business needs to hire a foreigner when all kinds of bars in business are run by locals.

My Blog
yu888
Board Legend
Board Legend

Postby makelifeeasy » Wed May 06, 2009 12:53 am

spam deleted
makelifeeasy

Postby p1atl10 » Wed May 06, 2009 1:17 am

SPAMMING a MOD thread....Brilliant!
p1atl10
Shanghai Royalty
Shanghai Royalty

Postby uker » Fri May 08, 2009 9:42 am

Please can someone tell me if i need a degree to get a work visa.. or is there anyway around it???

i have so much experience in business and want to teach business english.

what csan i do????
uker

Postby buckeye » Wed May 27, 2009 2:38 am

I don't know the details of that policy, but two weeks ago I was specifically asked to send in the original copy of my Diploma then the photocopy of my professional certificate.
buckeye
Squeeker
Squeeker

Postby Plusein » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:35 am

Hi Yu888,
Thanks for writing this guide, and helping all of us out so much! I have a question that I couldn't find the answer to on this site. Maybe I missed something, but I hope not!

My question:

My residence permit and work permit expire on July 31, which is my last day of work. I need to fly the next day, as my work runs pretty late. Do you know about extending my stay - by way of my residence permit, a new L visa, or any other means ?
My work doesn't know what to do about this.

My boyfriend recently extended his L visa for one month, and it cost 900RMB. We are both Americans.

Thanks again!
Plusein
Squeeker
Squeeker

Postby Shangstar » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:46 am

yes.....go to the PSB in Pudong, and apply for an exit visa (which is a 0 entry tourist visa). Apply at least a week before your RP expires. You're right, Americans pay 900 RMB. The exit visa should get you 30 days. You're then supposed to register your residence at the local PSB station also using the new visa, but seeing as you're leaving so soon, I wouldn't bother.
The Vatican is against surrogate mothers. Good thing they didn't have that rule when Jesus was born.
Shangstar
Wonder Wit
Wonder Wit

Postby Plusein » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:11 pm

Thanks Shangstar. I guess there are pros and cons to being an American!
Plusein
Squeeker
Squeeker

Postby Shangstar » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:22 pm

remember that the start date of the exit visa will be the date it is issued. it wont be post-dated to the day after your RP expires. Therefore, dont apply too early, like this coming Monday. 7-10 days before expiry of current RP will be fine.
The Vatican is against surrogate mothers. Good thing they didn't have that rule when Jesus was born.
Shangstar
Wonder Wit
Wonder Wit

Postby yu888 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:27 pm

Yep, 940 i think is the wonderful number. really if you are required to work that last day of yoru visa, yoru company should be paying for your extension, or give you time off to stay legal...but TIC, I know. Anyhow Shangstar is right, dont go TOO early as your new visa will be a L taht starts as soon as you apply for it.

My Blog
yu888
Board Legend
Board Legend

Postby Plusein » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:36 pm

Update on Residence Permit Extension:
I had a Chinese friend call the Pudong PSB to ask about any other (cheaper) options. The PSB told me to call the police station where I registered. They in turn told me to call the PSB. So I had my boss call, and finally they said that I can apply for a 10 or 15 day residence permit extension - cost unknown as of now.
They said I can take some documents, apply for the extension, and the PSB will decide how many days to give me (could be less than the amount applied for).

Documents needed:
- Passport
- Work Permit
- Original Temporary Registration Form from Police Station
- Small Photo
- Letter from work explaining why I need an extension

At the PSB I will find an application form for this process.
I will go apply for this and post the results.
Plusein
Squeeker
Squeeker

Postby Juan_Tamad » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:35 am

A friend arrived with a "Z" visa from his previous company and stayed in a hotel for a few days, he moved to a short term apartment for the last two weeks but has not registered since he wants to look at opportunities. He is not working right now. The company took his residence permit when they laid him off due to downsizing two months ago. How can he register if he does not have residence permit only a "Z" visa?
His visa is still up to next year. He registered in the police station before in the same area that he is living right now, it just another building.
YOU WILL ALWAYS BE REMEMBERED FOR WHAT YOU HAVE DONE I LIFE, AND NEVER REMEMBERED FOR WHAT YOU HAVE NOT DONE
Juan_Tamad
Shanghai Royalty
Shanghai Royalty

Postby robnot » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:09 am

I just received my resident permit which is valid 15th July 2009 to 10th July 2010.
Less than 1 year so it should be 400 rmb right?

When I applied the officer put 1.5 yrs on the form (since my passport is only valid for another 1.5yrs) so the amount to pay at that time was 800 rmb. The courier guy collected 800 rmb from the employee that picked it up, and the form that was stuck to the package also specified 800 rmb.

We called the info number and the lady on the line confirmed it should be 400 rmb for "less than a year" ie 364 days or less. She then told us that if we thought it was "unfair" we should go to Pudong PSB to ask about it there. It sounds like I should just let this go... what do you think??
robnot
Rocker
Rocker

Postby yu888 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:49 pm

Juan_Tamad wrote:A friend arrived with a "Z" visa from his previous company and stayed in a hotel for a few days, he moved to a short term apartment for the last two weeks but has not registered since he wants to look at opportunities. He is not working right now. The company took his residence permit when they laid him off due to downsizing two months ago. How can he register if he does not have residence permit only a "Z" visa?
His visa is still up to next year. He registered in the police station before in the same area that he is living right now, it just another building.

His "Z visa" was only valid for 30 days form date of issue, so i highly doubt he has a valid on. What he likely lost was hos WORK Permit as his Residents permit is in his passport. (Unless you mean his Res Permit was cancelled and he got that 30 day L visa to get out of dodge) Sounds like you have your facts wrong or someone screwed him royally...

My Blog
yu888
Board Legend
Board Legend

Postby yu888 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:51 pm

robnot wrote:I just received my resident permit which is valid 15th July 2009 to 10th July 2010.
Less than 1 year so it should be 400 rmb right?

When I applied the officer put 1.5 yrs on the form (since my passport is only valid for another 1.5yrs) so the amount to pay at that time was 800 rmb. The courier guy collected 800 rmb from the employee that picked it up, and the form that was stuck to the package also specified 800 rmb.

We called the info number and the lady on the line confirmed it should be 400 rmb for "less than a year" ie 364 days or less. She then told us that if we thought it was "unfair" we should go to Pudong PSB to ask about it there. It sounds like I should just let this go... what do you think??

for 400rmb ? I'd let it go. Officer basically did you a favor by saving you some time for an extra trip out. But only half year extra is your passport's fault. :)

My Blog
yu888
Board Legend
Board Legend

Postby Juan_Tamad » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:44 pm

yu888 wrote:
Juan_Tamad wrote:A friend arrived with a "Z" visa from his previous company and stayed in a hotel for a few days, he moved to a short term apartment for the last two weeks but has not registered since he wants to look at opportunities. He is not working right now. The company took his residence permit when they laid him off due to downsizing two months ago. How can he register if he does not have residence permit only a "Z" visa?

His "Z visa" was only valid for 30 days form date of issue, so i highly doubt he has a valid on. What he likely lost was hos WORK Permit as his Residents permit is in his passport. (Unless you mean his Res Permit was cancelled and he got that 30 day L visa to get out of dodge) Sounds like you have your facts wrong or someone screwed him royally...

You are right. He still has his residence permit (In his passport) which is valid till january 2010 the company took back his brown work permit when he was laid off last May. He went back two weeks ago to look for opportunities and got in immigration using said residence permit
If he registers with the police, will they look for his work permit? or showing the residence permit is enough?
Acually tthe question is does he really need to? He has registered in the police station before in the same area that he is living right now. He just moved to another building when he came back.
YOU WILL ALWAYS BE REMEMBERED FOR WHAT YOU HAVE DONE I LIFE, AND NEVER REMEMBERED FOR WHAT YOU HAVE NOT DONE
Juan_Tamad
Shanghai Royalty
Shanghai Royalty

Next

Return to Visa Info