China Telecom ADSL - How to set up router with modem

China Telecom ADSL - How to set up router with modem

Postby pedrisimo » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:22 pm

I have a standard ADSL modem for my China Telecom internet service. I want to have a wireless network in my home and have a Linksys router that would work fine. My question is: How do I set up the router so that I can access the ADSL connection? I know how to do it with broadband but have never configured it for a connection that needs to dial up with a username and password before.

Is China Telecom the better provider? I would much rather have broadband connection that is always connected and doesn't require signing in.

Thanks for the help.
pedrisimo
Lurker
Lurker

Postby compsolutions » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:37 pm

Your router will have a login webpage at something like 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1

Linksys default login is usually admin / password

You'll need to set it to use PPPoE for login, and put in the user / pass they supplied you with.

Postby pedrisimo » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:43 pm

Thanks. Ill try that again tonight. Will 2 or more computers be able to access the internet at the same time even though I have to use username and password. Not sure how that works as far as 2 China Telecom users being logged on at the same time.
pedrisimo
Lurker
Lurker

Postby dalc87 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:15 pm

you should have no problems logging in with different computers.
dalc87
Barker
Barker

Postby PC-Forest » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:24 pm

compsolutions wrote:Your router will have a login webpage at something like 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1

Linksys default login is usually admin / password

You'll need to set it to use PPPoE for login, and put in the user / pass they supplied you with.

Please make sure when your finish the PPPoE setup (with ADSL Account and Password), secure your wireless connection by creating a WLAN Password.

You only need to setup the router once and next time you will be able to surf internet without signing in again (because it's done automatically by the router).

More inquiry will be available at barry.huang@pc-forest.com
PC-Forest
Squeeker
Squeeker

Re: China Telecom ADSL - How to set up router with modem

Postby ksporry » Tue May 15, 2012 10:58 pm

here is a question: I use my router in bridge mode, the PPPoE setup stopped working after the fiberoptic upgrade. Gets me issues with mobile devices connecting wirelessly. When left for a while the modem forgets the devices and needs to be powercycled to "see" the devices again (yes, the modem, not my wifi router...). Is that because I use bridge mode?
ksporry
Talker
Talker

Postby computersolutions » Wed May 16, 2012 5:19 am

Its because the "modem" isn't a modem, its a router/modem combo.

The combo ones typically supplied are limited to a few concurrent connections.
So... only 3 devices can be online concurrently.

Options:
1) Set the current router/modem combo to act as a Modem only and do the PPPoE login via the Airport.
2) Ask Telecom to replace the router/modem combo with a standalone EPON modem.
3) Buy your own modem and have them setup. (80-150rmb +- on Taobao or in stores). Look for EPON.
Suitable example - http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=8551064763
Note that there is an older model in white - that one doesn't work with the typical connectors in use, so make sure you get the black model only.

Any of the 3 options are possible, easiest is to get Telecom to reconfigure or replace. Some people have success, some don't. Telecom can and will supply a replacement modem if you ask nicely. I've had that done at a number of clients. Usual replacement is the HG810e.

There are a few threads about this already, search for EPON.
computersolutions
StreetBeater
StreetBeater

Postby jeffinflorida » Mon May 21, 2012 10:54 am

My China Telecom router STOPPED broadcasting the wifi that it has been doing for the last 8 months. It's in Chinese and I am afraid to muck it up by playing with it. SO instead I plugged in a Trend router that I brought from home (English menu, CompUSA, cheap, about $20) and I use that signal for wifi.

It works.

The combo modem / router seemed to work ok but I wonder if it is broken. And I am AFRAID to have the China Telecom guy to look at it because sometimes they do more hard than good.
Who would have thought that a girl who is a hooker would be a hooker... In China of all places?!?
jeffinflorida
Board Legend
Board Legend

Postby Longjob » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:08 pm

I tried to replace the standard ST modem and TP-Link router with a Netgear N150 wireless adsl2+ router. Just couldn't get an IP address. Besides ensuring that its PPOE and correct user name and password is there anything else that I should be doing?
Longjob
PopStar
PopStar

Postby computersolutions » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:42 am

I'm not a fan of the combo models, but each to his own.

You'll need to check the VCI / VPI settings in use, and make sure your Netgear has the right settings.
Off the top of my head, i think its 8/31, but suggest plug in a cable to the modem, and see, or call Sh.Tel and ask.

Once you have that set right, then it can get a PPPoE connection.

I'm betting at the moment it doesn't show line sync as it doesn't have the right line settings.
computersolutions
StreetBeater
StreetBeater

Postby Longjob » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:10 pm

computersolutions wrote:I'm not a fan of the combo models, but each to his own.

You'll need to check the VCI / VPI settings in use, and make sure your Netgear has the right settings.
Off the top of my head, i think its 8/31, but suggest plug in a cable to the modem, and see, or call Sh.Tel and ask.

Once you have that set right, then it can get a PPPoE connection.

I'm betting at the moment it doesn't show line sync as it doesn't have the right line settings.

Yup, spot on it was the MUX settings. ST very helpful. Even though I didn't need him to, the technician turned up at my doorstep and helped me out. He even brough a new[er] modem for me to try out.

VPN connection sucks suppose I need to find a new provider :(
Longjob
PopStar
PopStar

Postby computersolutions » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:17 pm

Yup, they're both helpful and prompt here, which is a refreshing change from elsewhere.
There is the odd bad apple, but you can ask for different people and complain!

Usually there will be different levels of tech - those that do the cabling mostly, and no almost nothing about the how / why, and then there are the people who do know stuff, then from varying degree's on up through to the level of people who know what I'm talking about when I tell them specifics.

Now you have ADSL setup, suggest ask about Fibre! :)

Faster, and same price..
computersolutions
StreetBeater
StreetBeater

Postby Longjob » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:23 pm

computersolutions wrote:Yup, they're both helpful and prompt here, which is a refreshing change from elsewhere.
There is the odd bad apple, but you can ask for different people and complain!

Usually there will be different levels of tech - those that do the cabling mostly, and no almost nothing about the how / why, and then there are the people who do know stuff, then from varying degree's on up through to the level of people who know what I'm talking about when I tell them specifics.

Now you have ADSL setup, suggest ask about Fibre! :)

Faster, and same price..

Regretfully fibre's not in my area and no one with any idea when it's gonna be rolled out
Longjob
PopStar
PopStar

Postby AkselVerg » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:49 pm

AkselVerg
Squeeker
Squeeker

Return to Technology and Internet