Re: Witopia Blocked in China ?

Postby Gweil0 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:23 am

Yes, and even more..

1.Googled for Witopia.
2. Found the link, clicked ..nothing.
3. Opened another windows (with Google as default) and Google don't work !

After some minutes Google back to normal.. Haha.. :shock:
Gweil0
Seeker
Seeker

Postby Gweil0 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:28 am

flysurfing wrote:Thx for your reply.

Can you connect using witopia vpn ?

For myself, impossible...

Thanks !

I never used VPN, i'm not fan of Facebook ... etc.. I value my privacy.

Sorry.
Gweil0
Seeker
Seeker

Postby Michael » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:42 am

Works for me.
How are you setup. Have you changed your DNS settings?
If you need a decent v-p-en, pm me for one that works well.
Michael

Postby xzeppelin » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:05 am

Witopia.net is blocked, but you can still access www.personalvpn.com - they are both the same company! Unfortunately, I don't think you can get access to the witopia wiki through the personalvpn site, but you can purchase witopia through there, then use your vpn to access witopia.net
xzeppelin

Postby look2me4guidance » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:00 pm

The site has been blocked for some time.

Can you feel the harmony...?
look2me4guidance
Low Seater
Low Seater

Postby shanghai_flava » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:37 am

Freedur faced similar downtime 3 days ago but it is back to normal now.
May be afraid that the Tunisian revolution tsunami reaching here? :p
shanghai_flava
Rocker
Rocker

Postby rasengan » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:28 pm

Yeah, I can't get on those. But, right now Private Internet Access VPN Tunnel is fine. It's a lot cheaper and it's practically the same product anyway. AHHHHHH I MISS NEW YEAR :( I wish I could re-live last week

Anyway here is the link for those of you who don't know https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/ :lol:
rasengan

Postby _ray » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:22 pm

My Witopia VPN client doesn't seem to be connecting to its servers. WTF is wrong with this country.
_ray
Talker
Talker

Postby Andreas » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:37 pm

It was working ok for me till about 2 weeks ago. Now I can not connect at all anymore. Pity I just renewed for another year. It's basically useless now :(
‘How inappropriate to call this planet Earth when it is quite clearly Ocean.’
- Sir Arthur C. Clarke
Andreas
Shanghai Royalty
Shanghai Royalty

Postby _ray » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:54 pm

It's been down for two weeks already??
_ray
Talker
Talker

Postby binky » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:59 pm

Gweil0 wrote:
flysurfing wrote:Thx for your reply.

Can you connect using witopia vpn ?

For myself, impossible...

Thanks !

I never used VPN, i'm not fan of Facebook ... etc.. I value my privacy.

Sorry.

What, don't you even like movies?

www.imdb.com is also "harmonized", you know. :roll:
binky
LoopKicker
LoopKicker

Postby KopyKatKiller » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:51 pm

Change your DNS settings to OpenDNS servers and try to connect.

This is usually the issue. Chinese DNS servers poison requests. At one point a year or so ago, Chinese DNS servers took over the internet in a few countries and people throughout the world got a little taste of china's crappy internet... oh yeah, and last year they rerouted all US government/military traffic through China Telecom servers for around an hour!
KalanStar is Sinolicious!
KopyKatKiller
Post Boaster

Postby voipguy » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:48 pm

seems to be working great. here is a URL for their site so you can contact support http://tinyurl.com/4hea2y8
voipguy
Squeeker
Squeeker

Postby travelinjack3 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:24 pm

Works for me. If you are trying to download the needed files use a proxy to get set up.
Can't love'em, can't trust'em, all their egos are funny.
travelinjack3
PopStar
PopStar

Postby cuilan » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:00 pm

I can't access any of their sites today, http://www.witopia.net/, https://www.witopiavpn.com/main/welcome.php, http://www.personalvpn.net/ I was going to sign up but now I'm not so sure, is the vpn service working ok?
cuilan
Seeker
Seeker

Postby willzzz88 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:34 pm

The DNS trick doesn't work anymore. China Telecom/Unicom/Mobile and another other AS (autonomous system) run by China, the ISPs are controlled by the government to block things. Looks like they strengthened their stupid DPI (deep packet inspection, this is the technology if you're curious, there are legit uses and not so legit uses in my opinion) on their layer right before the border routers between China (inside) and peering/IP-transit (outside of China).. I **** hate DPI sometimes... VPN is the way to go... Especially if you have a corporate/business one...
willzzz88

Postby binky » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:47 pm

willzzz88 wrote:The DNS trick doesn't work anymore. China Telecom/Unicom/Mobile and another other AS (autonomous system) run by China, the ISPs are controlled by the government to block things. Looks like they strengthened their stupid DPI (deep packet inspection, this is the technology if you're curious, there are legit uses and not so legit uses in my opinion) on their layer right before the border routers between China (inside) and peering/IP-transit (outside of China).. I **** hate DPI sometimes... VPN is the way to go... Especially if you have a corporate/business one...

I've also noticed that I am getting redirected someplace different now when a DNS lookup fails.

Yeah, they are getting better at blocking, but it is ultimately self-defeating.

They are fooling nobody. In fact, it is the clearest admission of guilt and lack of popular support imaginable.

And the tragic thing is, the government could be heroes. This country has accomplished so much in the last 20 years. Instead, they have chosen the dark-side, and are squandering all the good will they have earned in the process. What a pity. What a tragedy.
binky
LoopKicker
LoopKicker

Postby cbat » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:17 am

I spoke to Witopia support last night it turns out their DNS cache has been poisoned and for now they suggested using google's DNS. Naturally they cannot tell when it will be fixed and will not post on their blog or twitter about when it is fixed (or the fact that their was an issue)
cbat
Seeker
Seeker

Postby KopyKatKiller » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:14 am

cbat wrote:I spoke to Witopia support last night it turns out their DNS cache has been poisoned and for now they suggested using google's DNS. Naturally they cannot tell when it will be fixed and will not post on their blog or twitter about when it is fixed (or the fact that their was an issue)

I wonder who did that, hmmmmm, The PRC, Pretty Ridiculous Cuntry???
KalanStar is Sinolicious!
KopyKatKiller
Post Boaster

Postby voipguy » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:50 am

China didn't poison anyone's DNS cache except for their own. :) if someone from witopia support told you that they were high on crystal meth. I think you maybe misunderstood what poisoning is or their support rep was new..or on meth. :)

Witopia dns, strongvpn DNS are all tested perfect. China forces dns requests through their own crappy servers. They're "spot blocking" certain VPN protocols, DNS requests, and crimping the bwidth hose to show everyone that they are still in charge. This badly screws up VPNs of all types. There are things you can do though so I would recontact their support and ask for a non-tweaker.
voipguy
Squeeker
Squeeker

Postby jassip » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:31 am

I notice, what from begin this year i unable use Ftp-clients for uploading files. When i use these free VPN - it's still don't work (because cheap VPN - use free proxies). So, finally, i uploading files with free VPN by Web-based menu. That's sucks, i told you. Maybe one day i will buy real/stronger VPN.
jassip
Lurker
Lurker

Postby Bochi » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:01 pm

Here in Kunming Witopia's web site has been blocked for at least a month, but my PPTP connection still worked until about a week ago. Then it started to work every other day, but now I think the full block is on. Changing DNS servers is no help as I already use Open DNS.

We can only hope that if the situation in the ME stabilizes they will back off. This article from Al Jazeera offers some explanation. http://tinyurl.com/6yghg2a If you try the last link to ChinaGeeks it is also blocked. Good luck everyone!
Bochi

Postby siutim » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:19 am

Dem it!
siutim
Seeker
Seeker

Postby event » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:46 am

I just purchased the witopia openvpn service. Iam not planing to use it all the time here from China. Actually Iam using a VPN on my sever in Germany and always copy the files to my Fritz!Box here in Shanghai over night.

But I was hoping i could use the VPN client from time to time here in Shanghai, but even with openDNS as DNS server i couldnt connect to any of the VPN servers, just like their IPs have been blocked.
Is it the same for you guys?
event
Barker
Barker

Postby jzzzzzzz » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:56 am

Lots of people have had trouble using Witopia in China over the last few months. You can contact their support support@witopia.net
jzzzzzzz
Board Royalty
Board Royalty

Postby MikeA » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:08 am

There are a ton of posts on this starting in February. Some have been lucky, most have not (myself included).
MikeA
Reacher
Reacher

Postby cuilan » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:17 am

I just purchased the witopia openvpn service. Iam not planing to use it all the time here from China. Actually Iam using a VPN on my sever in Germany and always copy the files to my Fritz!Box here in Shanghai over night.

But I was hoping i could use the VPN client from time to time here in Shanghai, but even with openDNS as DNS server i couldnt connect to any of the VPN servers, just like their IPs have been blocked.
Is it the same for you guys?

Get your money back from them whilst you can, their VPN service is dreadful, doesn't work in China, once you are outside the refund period you'll be left with a POC you paid for but can't use.
cuilan
Seeker
Seeker

Postby MoonOverMiami » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:28 am

Depending on the service you purchased, but WiTopia definitely works. Contact tech support using the email you used to make the purchase and include your order number and they will tell you the work around.

Some times the connection is slow, but most of the time it works just fine!
Charly: "Were you always this stupid or did you take lessons?"
Mitch: "I took lessons."
MoonOverMiami
Low Seater
Low Seater

Postby event » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:13 pm

Ah very nice, i send them a message few hours ago, they already replied and gave me a list with working server IPs where i just had to adjust the config files.
Now I'm getting around 60kb/s over my 1mbit line, which is more then i expected.
And i can actually use it from 2 locations at the same time, my German server is also connected.

For that price its really a bargain if it keeps working like this.

But i paid via Paypal and had to give them my contact information, what do you guys think about copyright problems, rather use a server outside the US?
I mean, i actually never heard about an American court demanding money from a German copyright violator (P2P etc.), and the German officials most likely wont go to the length of researching whos behin foreign IPs, or whats your point of view on this?

Actually my friend started using ivacy.com, because you can pay there via money cards you can buy at Burger King, then they dont even have your bank contact or real address, of course thats most convenient, but that service aint cheap.
event
Barker
Barker

Return to Technology and Internet